• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Carried my 586 in a leather drop holster around the woods today. Didn't shoot it. When I got home and unloaded it, the cylinder released just fine, however it was very stiff and hard to spin, like the oil gummed up in the 10 degree weather. Lubed with Hoppe's gun oil, is there any special precautions you all do to make sure your firearms aren't effected by the cold? Easy answer would be carry IWB or some how closer to your body. Do they make cold weather gun oil?

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have been served well with break free CLP, I think i will leave my gun out now for a hour outside outside and see if I can shoot 5 rounds of my carry ammo through it.
    I do know that there is a gun grease designed to work in cold temperatures

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I do know that there is a gun grease designed to work in cold temperatures

There is:

Brian Enos's Slide-Glide Pistol & Firearm Lubricant

...but I'm sure there are good things other than that, or at least cheaper.

Actually, I use one.

Mobil Grease 28 does not have such problems because it was designed for use in airliner landing gear, etc.

The base oil performs about like a 5w20, so that's cool in cold weather, but it is ALSO able to perform as a GREASE I'm operation up to about 350 F, and should not fail until over 500 F.

Not your average 3-in-1.

https://www.exxonmobil.com/english-LT/Aviation/pds/GLXXMobilgrease-28

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay. Make fun of my possible OCD. Couldn't wait till "later".

233826.jpg

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I usually use very little lube. I hit the hot spots and leave it be with something like ballistol. I only really take like three guns out in the cold and I don't feel like keeping little lube on this is really all that bad especially out in the cold. Usually an AR maybe a bolt gun but a Glock and Benelli see more cold than anything else. I'm yet to have any issues but I'm confident those guns would run without lube too. A friends SX3 was all gummed up with frog lube last Saturday in the duck blind and he was reduced to having a single shot which was down right hilarious. He was super mad at himself :):. Use something fairly thin and be light with it. Especially if it'll run just fine without lube and you aren't out banging away on it or anything.

My benelli has a light coat of ballistol on the bolt and it's supposed to be 8 degrees in the morning and I'm not worried a bit. But there is a ton of stuff out there that'll work.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Kinda on topic, but the wife and I met after I got off my shift Thursday, at a local INDY range to let our fourteen year old granddaughter who was spending some time with us, get some range time in.
    After we met up, I opened my trunk to get out a couple boxes of ammo and found both boxes I had selected one a box of 9mm 115 gr Blazer Brass, and another a box of .380 95 gr Perfecta frozen solid like two bricks.
    I ended up smacking the boxes on the floor of the indoor range to loosen things up and all combined one hundred rounds fired with no issues through a Glock-26 and a Glock-42.
    I once years ago found a loose loaded fifteen round Glock-22 mag frozen solid also inside that same vehicle, and I just brought that one inside the house with me that very cold day.
    I know what you are all thinking but the wife's car gets to sleep in the garage overnight.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I have used transmission fluid on caked up guns in the past to free them up.
    It gets thicker in the cold but doesn't gum up..
    It may be a secret so don't tell anybody.
    Also if you don't like the smell buy the high end synthetic stuff from your auto parts supplier.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The current Mil-spec for CLP is -75 degrees F. In 40 years I have never seen it slow a gun down or stop one in cold temps. Find out what the rating is for your favorite lube BEFORE you use it in sub zero temps. If the maker doesn't state it - don't use it. Don't take any risk with "popular new improved latest rage" lubes. We paid for the research on military specifications for equipment. May as use the good stuff.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Only if you are able to move the safety off....... It has always amazed me how so many guys just have to buy and use the latest "snake oil designer lube of the week". For 40 years the only things I have used are Mil spec CLP and Dexron. I have not found anything better and all of my guns run 100%.

Top Bottom