• HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    Didn't know where to post this..

One range trip to Henryville Forestry's Range = FREE
    There where two different set of folks there scrapping brass with five gallon buckets
    They would stand to my right & pick up my brass the second it hit the ground, even 22lr
    I said "HEY when I leave you can have anything I leave behind, Until then that's my brass & get back & away from me
    One of them even stepped in front of the line of fire to scoop some of my 45acp brass on his knees as not to get shot??
    I told that guy if you step in front of me again I'm not responsible for your life & again that's my brass..
    My Range Buddy said the same thing & they kinda just kinda stood back & waited, I said where gonna be here a while & there's better ways to make money than to pick up brass at this range, There was nothing but steel case on the ground, the punks had went thru hundreds of thousands of cases looking for brass.
    My Buddy sprayed one of them down with steel case wolff as they where over next to him & he bumpfired & unleashed a 100 round drum in the AK :ar15:
    Needless to say I haven't been back & would never go to this range by myself, I've been going there for 25 years & never had anything like that happen before. IF I only had part of the money we spent on ammo we shot there I'd be rich!! You gotta remember the good ole days when 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 was $69.95 at the KCR shoot.. the $50 Mosin Nagant etc. $200 mint Norinco SKSs = Those where the days..
    Used to go every Saturday morning unless there was a gunshow.. RIP MeanMarcus

Anybody else ever have anything like this happen??
    I know things are tough all over but really??
    Guess they where trying to get enough scrap $ to get some liquor or drugs??

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I learned range etiquette (not to pickup shot shell hulls that came out of someone else's skeet gun and running after un-broken clays before the range was cold) at age 7. It was a fairly simple lesson for a 7 year old.
    MH

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I go out to Henryville/Clark Forest range all the time and there are quite a few scrappers there. Early Saturday morning seems to be best time as the scrappers and riff-raff aren't out yet. Sometimes I find it better to pack my gear and leave when some are there.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Sounds like a great reason to get a membership at a range, so that only members can get onto the range. I've never had this issue at MCF&G, HCF&G, ACC or other members only clubs I've shot at.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    There's no range officer there.. Good in some ways & well bad in others..
    You & others there decide when the line of fire is HOT or CLEAR by yelling, everyone except for idiots have hearing protection..
    You sign in at the range office & then drive back thru the forest to the range back near a lake. After you leave you sign out on the way out.
    You are in the middle of nowhere, You shoot toward the side of a dirt mountain & the farthest shots are about 100 yards, There are three hills graduated at about 25/50/100 yards.. One garbage can & a fixed Porta Potty which has had the daylights shot out of it..
    I've seen folks bring old TV sets, computers & trash to shoot at, Then they just leave it behind.
    I always take same steaks & paper plates & a baby sledge to put my targets up + staple gun..

Here's a PDF of the Range Rules & Regulations

https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-Clark_Shooting_Range_Regs.pdf

I remember there once they had a bunch of kids with them & none had hearing protection, I called for one of the youths during a clear line & gave all of them some new ear plugs from my range bag, I said forget their parents they are old enough to know better..
    There's also an old codger that always seems to be around there, We call him "The Brass Picker" he'd go 4-5 hours and shoot about three shots, He knew how to conserve ammo but was there to shoot, He never wore hearing protection & of course is almost deaf.. Heahh??

The scrappers were there only to pray on folks brass..
    I'm sure they come on Sunday when the range is closed & rake the burms for lead & copper..
    They have a guy that works for the forestry that cleans up the range weekly as needed.

I've had a lot of fun shooting there in the past but haven't went in quite a while now..
    You guys know that shooting skills are perishable don't ya?
    I know you think they aren't & get drilled into you, but trust me if you don't shoot often you lose the ability to shoot good.

Once there was a guy who put four pidgeons on the 100 yard burm & shot for an hour or so at them with a M-1 Carbine, he never hit any of them, got close as you can see it in the dirt.. When he was done I asked can I clean your pidgeons up for ya? He said sure but with what? I pulled out my Hk USP Tactical 45 & they started lauging, Like yeah right.. I popped every one of them with one magazine of 45.. They where like what is that thing?? I said it's not the gun fellas it's the shooter, We come here a lot.. Trigger control, breathing, stance etc. are the key & practice.. also I was holding over each about two feet from that distance..

Glad to hear the range is still going.. Maybe I'll catch you up there early one saturday morning Ddillard, that used to be our day but since I retired I can go any time I want..
    Still miss my ole range buddy MeanMarcus RIP.. He was the master of the AK, Had 50-75, He bought one of each variant as they came out, he had em all..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not really sure I would be as patient as you all were with these idiots.
    We used to deal with scrapers all the time being in the HVAC trades and most of them suck. I have zero trust in the majority of these people.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Yep. They are at every range without a ro. I've had two people break the line of fire while hot and I yelled at them both. They both looked at me like I was the dumbass.

Why they wanna pick up hot azz brass rather than let it cool blows my mind. They must know what they are doing is wrong.

What irks me the most is they see me sitting there with tons of plastic 50ct reload boxes and still think I don't want my brass.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I live a sheltered life. Another thing going on in the world, that I had no clue about. I may be getting to be one of those old men....

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Signs of the times. We have trash drop off sites here that have "put and take" buildings. Leave what others can use, take what you need or can fix for someone else. In the last 2 years you can hardly find anything usable in the building. People either sit and wait for items to take or make the rounds of the other drop off sites to get items. I assume that they constantly garage sale, Craigslist, or eBay these things for cash. I can't blame them really but it points out the lack of jobs that pay well enough for people to get by. Online selling, scrapping, and Craigslist-ing must bring in extra income for them. I can only hope that the money they get is spent wisely.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah, it's awesome when shooting for group/testing..........when the club officer is piddling with brass right behind or beside you.
    I get they sort and clean, sell and bring some $ back to the club.........
    but do it away from the shooters.

Clueless old farts.

Have not met a scrapper going after my stuff as it lands...........not since the hilljack at the Ike's 30 yrs ago.
    Told him "mine" once...........never a problem with him again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If I'm the only one at the range, and see some reloadable stuff laying around.........I'll pick some up and set it on the table when I leave.
    Somebody might be able to use it.

Went to Winamac once and 19 once fired .222 rem were sitting on the table when I got there (only one on the range too).

I aint the only one that tries to help :)

FWIW I pick up my own .223, 45 and 9mm stuff. Leave everybody else's.
    But if I'm there and stumble upon .300 Weatherby mag once fired.........2 boxes of it laying on the ground............yeah, I picked that up ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Signs of the times. We have trash drop off sites here that have "put and take" buildings. Leave what others can use, take what you need or can fix for someone else. In the last 2 years you can hardly find anything usable in the building. People either sit and wait for items to take or make the rounds of the other drop off sites to get items. I assume that they constantly garage sale, Craigslist, or eBay these things for cash. I can't blame them really but it points out the lack of jobs that pay well enough for people to get by. Online selling, scrapping, and Craigslist-ing must bring in extra income for them. I can only hope that the money they get is spent wisely.

Most of those people are just not set to actually work a real job. Back ground check failures etc and so on.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Glad I just paid my dues for the private range this am...you need to be issued a key to get in if the RO isn't there. Membership is invitation only, everyone I've met is very polite and respectful.

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    I live a sheltered life. Another thing going on in the world, that I had no clue about. I may be getting to be one of those old men....

You aren’t the only one leading a sheltered life. I’m genuinely surprised at this kind of unsafe behavior. I suppose it’s going to take winning the Darwin Award for these Jackwagons to stop... And then the anti-gun nuts will have a field day!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Income from selling scrap of any kind is not garnished, not taxed and doesn't go against any other cash they may be getting. It's a way of life for some folks.

Top Bottom