• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I am kind of "old school" I guess and have always used leather holsters exclusively. While recently looking at new holsters, seems kydex is the popular choice now. I can see positives and negatives to kydex but they are much more plentiful than leather...Ideally I would like something that can be IWB/OWB like the leather Next Guardian I currently use most of the time....

So which do you prefer and why...kydex or leather? Any specific brand to look at or avoid? Thanks for any input...

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    The feel of a leather holster is fantastic, but I do love the way that Kydex retains and also the durability.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The logical part of my brain knows that Kydex isn't hurting the gun, but it just feels like I'm sliding the gun into a sandpaper pouch. I'll stick with leather.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My previous kydex holster disintegrated on me. I seem to have that effect on some plastics. I had a watchband and a bluetooth headset that just started crumbling. Latex is allergic to me. Next holster I get is going to be leather, even for IWB.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Personally for me and the way I am built (very skinny and bony) Kydex especially IWB is too rigid for me and ended up hurting after a while. I decided to try a good leather holster (Milt Sparks) and have not looked back, retention is awesome (Like jumping on a trampoline with a fully loaded Commander 1911) plus the leather forms to your body after use making them super comfortable. Personally I recommend the Versa-Max 2 by Milt Sparks and soon a Criterion will be delivered to my house but I cannot comment on that model yet.

dsHdZcsh.jpg

That and lets be honest, a kydex holster will NEVER look this good

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Leather
    I've never owned a kydex holster, and probably wont. Everything listed about leather up thread, classic, forms to your body, etc.
    I've got a couple of Galco's I use , a C.O.P for the 1911's and a Concealable for the Sigs

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Maybe I'll catch some flak for this, but that's fine :) I use a Remora for IWB. It's not leather or Kydex. It sort of looks like a more rubberized neoprene. Low print, quiet, molds to the gun and body, and it doesn't make me sweat. I have literally rolled on the floor and slept with it on, ridden in and out of a car all day for work, you name it. I've even done handstands with it. Great retention, comfort and fits my body well- I am a stocky short guy. I think ultimately the best choice is what works best for you/gun type and whatever you will trust with your life. I can't imagine wearing Kydex IWB- ouch! That said I've also been looking for a nice OWB holster. Pretty sure I'll go leather. When I want to OC I just nestle the Remora in between my 2" belt and my jeans. The grip of the material is astounding and soft with zero draw issues! There's another company that makes knock-offs but I don't remember their name. I got one for $20 at the Louisville show. Shows are a great place to try several for fit/comfort.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I am usually carrying IWB. I prefer kydex as it does not collapse like many (but admittedly not all) holsters do. I have yet to wear out a Kydex holster. I have an 11 year old holster that once I wipe it off, looks pretty much new. After some time, leather will absorb your sweat, oils, salts and acids from your body and will start to come apart and keep corrosives against the gun. Usually that's more of an issue in hotter claimants where people are sweating all year long.

Other than Mr Evilwrench, I have not heard of anyone wearing out a Kydex holster...at least not from daily carry use.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I use both, and even some that are a combination. I don't see much functional difference in a well designed holster of either (or both) material(s), with the exception you can't sweat through kydex. Leather is more aesthetically pleasing to me, though.

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    A leather holster that has been broken in will feel much better than Kydex in the long run. I have had both. Kydex holsers are decent and more affordable, but nothing beats leather that is softened by everyday use.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Maybe I'll catch some flak for this, but that's fine :) I use a Remora for IWB. It's not leather or Kydex. It sort of looks like a more rubberized neoprene. Low print, quiet, molds to the gun and body, and it doesn't make me sweat. I have literally rolled on the floor and slept with it on, ridden in and out of a car all day for work, you name it. I've even done handstands with it. Great retention, comfort and fits my body well- I am a stocky short guy. I think ultimately the best choice is what works best for you/gun type and whatever you will trust with your life. I can't imagine wearing Kydex IWB- ouch! That said I've also been looking for a nice OWB holster. Pretty sure I'll go leather. When I want to OC I just nestle the Remora in between my 2" belt and my jeans. The grip of the material is astounding and soft with zero draw issues! There's another company that makes knock-offs but I don't remember their name. I got one for $20 at the Louisville show. Shows are a great place to try several for fit/comfort.

You should try the Uncle Mike’s nylon holsters available at Walmart. All the floppiness and lack of structure of remora, with high-tech Velcro retention!

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm skinny and I'm fine with carrying IWB with a kydex holster for a 5" 1911. Aside from leather being permeable to sweat, I've found that kydex makes for a faster draw since there's 1 area, like a trigger guard, providing mechanical retention whereas a leather holster's retention is friction--the whole length of the holster. Since I've got bone spurs instead of cartilage in my shoulder now, that matters a lot to me.

Another consideration is that a good leather holster is usually 2-3x what a good kydex holster costs. With the differences in manufacturing, how could it be any other way?

The only advantage I see to leather is that it's more comfortable

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I use both, and even some that are a combination. I don't see much functional difference in a well designed holster of either (or both) material(s), with the exception you can't sweat through kydex. Leather is more aesthetically pleasing to me, though.

Same here; I still have and use Serpa Qcb I don't understand why its so hard to keep your finger off the trigger. I also have a Galco Iwb kydex shell with leather its ok. And I have owb Galco Cop series for my Sr9C; 92G and my 1911. The Cop series are excellent holsters. And I also have a Milt Sparks IWB which I had to force myself to spend that kind of money on it but for IWB they cant be beat. They are so good I am going to order another one for my 92G!

I don't think you will find a single best holster but once you find it you will know it.

Top Bottom