Are Some Of The Good Ole Shops In Business?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have been reading some posts recently where people are discussing the good times that they had at shops that are no longer open. I have seen posts where people have been going there for years, sometimes generations have been customers. It is sad to see them gone, but I am thankful for the older shops that are still in business. My good ole shop is Blythe's in Griffith and Valparaiso. My family has been going to them for 30 plus years and I am a third generation customer. Hopefully if I have kids one day I can make them fourth generation customers and second generation customers at Copper Custom.
    Another shop I frequent is Westforth Sports in Gary, they have been in business for 30 or more years as well I believe. One reason I go these shops is because I have formed friendships with the employees there, something that can not be had as easily at big box stores. I just wanted to throw that out there, that is one of the reasons I frequent the smaller stores.

To get to the point, what are your good ole shops still in business? If I had to guess at least one it will have to be Bradis in the Indy area or PSS in Plainfield. Free feel to throw in some stories

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Mine is Herters on Highway 65 North of Minneapolis. It was in the country but I think it was in the Blaine postal code. Everything from Herters receivers to Herters reloading machines to ... just everything.

I loved to hang out there 45 years ago....

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    To get to the point, what are your good ole shops still in business? If I had to guess at least one it will have to be Bradis in the Indy area or PSS in Plainfield. Free feel to throw in some stories[/QUOTE]

You guessed one that I’ve gone to for years, PSS. Old Smokey is a good old boy and hard to beat. Didn’t make it there in 2017 though. I’ll have to make up for that in 2018.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    A shop I haven't visited for a few years is Jerry's Gun Shop in Rensselaer, In. I would visit more but it is about 80 mi away. I have enjoyed every visit and bought several firearms and some ammo from him. Great prices, good inventory, friendly knowledgeable people.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Mine is Pearson Sports in Marshall. I have been going there about 20 yrs. Duane has always been more than fair. If he doesn’t have what I’m looking for, he orders it for me.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The first shop I remember visiting is Stonewall Weapons in Kankakee, IL. My favorite was going to McGowans barrel shop in St. Anne, IL with my dad and grandfather.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    the "Good Ole" store I remember is Biff's Gun World down in Valley Station Kentucky
    It's still there & Jr. Sumners is still manning the desk as always..
    If it can be had it's in there, and I mean anything from a hornets nest to gun gear stocks from 40 years ago..
    It's like stepping back in time..
    Of course the Sumner's own Knob Creek & there's lots of newer gear out there.. Plus if you go to the shoot more than any one man could possibly carry..

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    The first shop I remember visiting is Stonewall Weapons in Kankakee, IL. My favorite was going to McGowans barrel shop in St. Anne, IL with my dad and grandfather.

I am from K3. I remember going down town Bradley on Broadway. That old man gave me a bunch of .22 ammo when I was a kid to go shoot squirrels with. Not long after he passed and it folded up.

I remember McGowans. Dad and I used him for a few repair s on stuff. He got popped selling parts overseas I heard. Got raided by the feds.

Another one was Rodgers in Bradley. Run out of his garage. Guy smoked like a chimney! Multiple cigs going around the room in various ash trays. Take a puff here and there as he showed you different guns as he also fed the automatic reloading machine more brass. Needless to say lung cancer consumed him and the shop.

Lots of neat old revolvers, police trade in M1 carbines, tons of cool mill surp. Good ol days they were.

Not a one left. Ks merchandise in Bradley was another I bought a bunch from. Probably the only place I ever purchased regularly from right untill the end of them.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    A shop I haven't visited for a few years is Jerry's Gun Shop in Rensselaer, In. I would visit more but it is about 80 mi away. I have enjoyed every visit and bought several firearms and some ammo from him. Great prices, good inventory, friendly knowledgeable people.

Will hit this place. Make my way down there once in awhile. Always good to explore a little and add to my mental inventory.

Top Bottom