• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The GM FWA location was my go-to place to browse and fondle potential purchases. I bought a cheap scope there, and my current EDC (FNS 9). The FNS was a very good buy. They matched the prices of the ZX Guns, and then when they scanned it in for sale discovered it was eligible of another $100 discount. I walked out a very happy man! Beyond that, the prices on everything else were the highest in town, or nearly so. I liked them best when the long guns were stacked on racks where I could pick them up for examination, not hidden away behind the counter.

It will be interesting to see the new owners can do. Now, if they put a coffee shop in there like int he Cabelas (or is it Bass Pro?) in Louisville I might have a new retirement hangout.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I wouldn't mind if they re-opened. My hope is they will make their prices more competitive with other stores. For example, there ammo prices in general were too high.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    If they re-open, hopefully they will have learned why they failed the last time. When they first opened they had good prices and good customer service, but it didn't take long for them to start gouging and treating you like they were doing you a favor to wait on you.

We Shall See!!!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Not sure if I'm mistaken or not, but i thought i read somewhere that they wont be selling firearms. Im sure someone will be along with more knowledge on that.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Most of my experience was with the Fort Wayne Gander Mountain and I really don't miss it being gone. When they did their last remodel and added a lot more long guns I thought that was great that I could handle a broader variety of guns, but the prices on 99% of them seemed pretty high. As far as their fishing department goes, it was always decent but I think an experienced fisherman is much better served driving just down the road to "Pro Tackle Outfitters" off Lima. The outdoors clothes always seemed a little more expensive than they should be for being an in house brand knocking off higher end products. As far as their accessories go it was always a premium to buy any gun parts in there and in Fort Wayne I get much better deals & service at Ranger Supply off Getz Rd. I used to be able to buy reloading supplies at Gander, but even that tapered off to the point where it was a sure bet they wouldn't have what I needed or was looking for after their big remodel. In or near fort wayne the best place to go for reloading supplies is Tomlinson's in Churubusco. It's a little bit of a drive, but by far the best selection around.

After Gander Mountain did their big remodel I didn't have much use for them other than needing a specific item that day and knowingly paying a premium to have it that day. I genuinely hope they get themselves squared away if they're going to reopen in the old store. Fort Wayne could really use a store like that, if it's done right.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Was kind of hoping the location in Fort Wayne would have been more of a Camping World and less of a Gander Mountain.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Was kind of hoping the location in Fort Wayne would have been more of a Camping World and less of a Gander Mountain.

Best place in Fort Wayne for camping gear is Earth Adventures off of main street right next door to O'Sullivans. The people in there have lots of real experience going places and using gear. Most of the people at Gander barely know what a sleeping bag is much less have any experience with them.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Best place in Fort Wayne for camping gear is Earth Adventures off of main street right next door to O'Sullivans. The people in there have lots of real experience going places and using gear. Most of the people at Gander barely know what a sleeping bag is much less have any experience with them.

I'm more interested in Camping World for the RV stuff, rather than traditional camping. I will have to check Earth Adventures out though!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm more interested in Camping World for the RV stuff, rather than traditional camping. I will have to check Earth Adventures out though!

Oh ok, I gotcha. I didn't think about the RV stuff.

On the Earth Adventures topic, I think it's genuinely one of Fort Wayne's best kept secrets. I recently went to the Isle Royale National Park with a friend and when I went in there looking at equipment the lady behind the counter had actually been to the Isle Royale, and a bunch of other places too. She was exceptionally helpful in pointing me the right way and it paid off bigtime while out on the trail or paddling my kayak around the island. There's a lot of other places the people there know about and really it's nice to walk in there and say "I'd like to drive about this far and do this for an overnight, or a few days" and they know places they've been to that they can recommend. They can also help you get setup with the right stuff so you're not carrying more than you need or less than you need. Best example I can give, when I went on my last trip my pack was around 40#'s for the week. Her pack for a somewhat similar week long trip was just over 20#. Her experience is so far beyond my own that's it's unbelievable.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    155.00 is bad for a new Hi Point?

In Redditland the High Point has it's own currency market. Want something that costs $150? That's 1.5 Hi Points. The markets were in turmoil on Black Friday when you could buy a new High Point for .86 Hi Points. Right now you can purchase the .45 "Problem Solva" for a mere 1.28 Hi Points.

An elegant man once said "If I'm killed by a Hi Point pistol, lie to everyone and tell them I was *!@#+$ to death in a gay brothel."

Top Bottom