• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For years I have keep a 12ga pump in the bed room just in case there is a bump in the night, and my pistol isn't to far away as a back up. But in the last week or so I have been thinking about changing that to a 300 BLK 10" barrel. I have always stay away from the AR platform for home defense because of the over penetration that could happen, that is one reason I have been using the pump with 00 buck. But while online looking for something to spend my Christmas bonus on I came across the 300 BLK home defense rounds and some of those look pretty nice. But back to my question.

I know we all have different home setups and all need to do different things if something happens. In a nut shell here is my setup the family is me, wife, and 2 sons (16-13). We have a house alarm and 2 dogs so anyone entering the house will wake us up. With the boys in different rooms I can't sit back and wait for the cops I will need to be sure the noise is not them and they are safe so that means me leaving the bed room. Any firearm I use will have a light on it plus I keep extra lights in my room but with a pump no real way to carry a extra light in my hand, but with a AR pistol I could.

Here is how I sum up my choices
    Shotgun-
    Great stopping power
    00 Buck doesn't have a lot of over penetration risk

AR Pistol 300Blk
    Home defense rounds good stopping power
    Home defense round little over penetration risk
    Could use it one handed so I could have my left hand free for flashlight, open doors, balance,or what ever
    30 rounds in the mag is very nice plus extras could be carried easy

I don't believe me racking the pump won't scare anyone away that is what the house alarm is for.
    I don't think I will need 20-30 rounds of ammo, shotgun has 12 (saddle and tube) and that should be enough but having a extra mag does make me feel better.

So am I crazy to think it might be time to change?

I know I will need to train more on the new platform and do many dry runs walking thru the house.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    House alarm and 2 dogs - good. :yesway::yesway:

Assuming if you have these you probably have decent outdoor lighting and hardened entrance points, yes? Deterring and buying time are key.

As far as penetration goes, you may want to think about what you're comparing to the 5.56. I'd be more concerned about 00 Buck and 300 Blk after penetrating a wall than the right 5.56 load. Look at actual tests rather than making assumptions.

Frankly, anything with adequate penetration to pass the FBI standards, and be what most consider nowadays to be an adequate stopper - is going to go through a typical U.S. residential wall.

Alternatively, another way to mitigate your over penetration concerns might be to study the fields of fire in your home in the context of your floorplan so you know what can penetrate where with lower risk, and /or locate stocked bookshelves strategically as backstops.

Just some ideas.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...00 Buck doesn't have a lot of over penetration risk...

Why do people think 00 Buck doesn't have an over penetration risk?

[video=youtube;AXOIQgfvVlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXOIQgfvVlE[/video]

i suspect the 300 Blk will be about the same or penetrate even more.

Unless multiple wood studs or a brick/stone wall are hit, most any round (except maybe bird shot) will go through all interior walls of a home.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I keep electronic ear muffs with my HD firearm, which is a Glock 17, with a light and extra mags for a total of 60 rounds.
    If you ever read in AAR (after action reports) when we are adrenalized you pull the trigger quicker and more than you may think.
    5.56 with the proper ammo has little to no over penetration. Again, electronic ear muffs, firearms are loud outside and in an indoor range, think of how loud they will be indoors.

I like a pistol myself, long guns can easily be grabbed by someone, also keep in mind that in today's world there will most likely be more than one person trying to break in and do harm, especially if they know someone is home.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Alternatively, another way to mitigate your over penetration concerns might be to study the fields of fire in your home in the context of your floorplan so you know what can penetrate where with lower risk, and /or locate stocked bookshelves strategically as backstops.

Just some ideas.

This has been my biggest hurdle due to our home's floorplan and the fact that there are 2 staircases coming up to the bedrooms that anchor all 4 corners with a ridiculous bonus room in the middle. There's maybe 40 linear feet that wouldn't be a penetration concern. I had cameras installed looking down both staircases in hopes that I'd at least know which one to use as an intercept point and moved beds to the corners of the rooms that eliminate soft angles and possibly force hesitation if they made it upstairs. As much as the Tony Montana in me wants to just swing the door open and start firing, I know it's not safe.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    House alarm and 2 dogs - good. :yesway::yesway:

Assuming if you have these you probably have decent outdoor lighting and hardened entrance points, yes? Deterring and buying time are key.

As far as penetration goes, you may want to think about what you're comparing to the 5.56. I'd be more concerned about 00 Buck and 300 Blk after penetrating a wall than the right 5.56 load. Look at actual tests rather than making assumptions.

Frankly, anything with adequate penetration to pass the FBI standards, and be what most consider nowadays to be an adequate stopper - is going to go through a typical U.S. residential wall.

Just some ideas.

Yes we have good outdoor lighting. I have done what I can to make the neighbor house look more inviting we have a lot of lights on the outside of the house. Our doors are pretty good but I'm sure I could do more.

My house was built in 30s so the walls are plaster and batter boards. Harder then sheet rock but not sure they would effect a bullet much different. I have walked thru and looked at what is outside the house so if something does go outside to have a good idea where it will go.

Why do people think 00 Buck doesn't have an over penetration risk?

[video=youtube;AXOIQgfvVlE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXOIQgfvVlE[/video]

i suspect the 300 Blk will be about the same or penetrate even more.

Unless multiple wood studs or a brick/stone wall are hit, most any round (except maybe bird shot) will go through all interior walls of a home.

I never said 00 buck won't over penetrate. Anything you use has that risk.

I keep electronic ear muffs with my HD firearm, which is a Glock 17, with a light and extra mags for a total of 60 rounds.
    If you ever read in AAR (after action reports) when we are adrenalized you pull the trigger quicker and more than you may think.
    5.56 with the proper ammo has little to no over penetration. Again, electronic ear muffs, firearms are loud outside and in an indoor range, think of how loud they will be indoors.

I like a pistol myself, long guns can easily be grabbed by someone, also keep in mind that in today's world there will most likely be more than one person trying to break in and do harm, especially if they know someone is home.

I have never needed to use my firearm in defense so I have to base my plan on other peoples AAR. I have read a lot of those and most of them say less than 5 shots but I also fully understand in the moment I'm not counting rounds so I want more rounds. That is one major reason I like the AR I can have 2 or 3 mags and they are easy to swap.

Honestly I have never looked at the 5.56 home defense loads, I always assumed a shotgun or pistol would be a better choice but because I'm rethinking that it would be a good time to look into those also. I did think about the ear muffs because I agree it will be really loud indoors. I even thought about the 300 BLK with a can but if I ever had to use it I'm sure I will be that "evil guy waiting to ambush the good guy just trying to feed is starving kids" never mind he was breaking into my house!. Sorry back on topic.

I agree the long gun could be grabbed and would be harder to move around the house. Also the home invasion is a good possibility these days and that was one of the reasons I choose the shotgun.

I understand there is no one perfect answer because there are too many possibilities that could be. Everyone has to use the given info and choose for their self what works best for them. That is my goal here to find out if I have overlooked something and make sure I make a good educated choice. And in this case I over looked the 5.56 home defense rounds so I need to learn more for sure.

Thanks for the info and helping me kick the idea around.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a 12G at the ready and an AR as well. My main go to is the 1911 with 10 rd mag on the dresser. Night sights glow and guide me right to it in the darkness. Spare mag next to it. Both loaded with serious defensive ammo. Good flash light as well.
    If I can not defend/repel antagonists with 20 well placed rds of .45 acp I am in over my head from the start.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    It is very difficult to find a better, more general in application, home defense firearm that a 12 gauge or even a 20 gauge shotgun. Choice of pump or double barrel left to personal cboice. In my opinion it is easier for someone other than your self to become familiar with also, such as the wife or a husband. Many wives are shooters today. If the wife is not so comfortable with a firearm a shotgun might be easier to adjust to. Some would say if they are not comfortable or do not want to become comfortable they should just leave them alone. That all changes at the wrong moment.
    The will to survive and protect yourself and others is maybe the strongest human emotion. Just my two cents.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have never had a home owner lose who used a shotgun and fired it. Not a single time.

I don't know enough about the .300 to have any input on it.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have never had a home owner lose who used a shotgun and fired it. Not a single time.
    Out of curiosity then, roughly what % used a shotgun vs handgun (or rifle or other non-firearm like spray, baseball bat, etc) and how many of the non-shotgun users did lose and do you feel they wouldn't have if they had used a shotgun (or any firearm if they hadn't used one)?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Number 4 buck in a 20 gauge or 12 gauge...Depending if I am upstairs or downstairs.....

BBI is right...CM is right....A shotgun is just a good way to defend your abode...I read an article one time on shotguns (doubles and singles) as the "real" guns that won the west....

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    1) A 12Ga is devastating to anyone on the wrong end.
    2) Please make sure to pattern (at different distances that are known within your home) each shotgun you plan on using for HD with different types / mfg of ammo to see what groups the best.
    3) Consider ways to reinforce the walls that would be in the line of fire.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Number 4 buck in a 20 gauge or 12 gauge...Depending if I am upstairs or downstairs.....

BBI is right...CM is right....A shotgun is just a good way to defend your abode...I read an article one time on shotguns (doubles and singles) as the "real" guns that won the west....

(2) 930's in strategic locations adult access.
    3" Nitro steel magnums. #2 and they are just evil. #4 is as well but the #2 seems to have the edge on evil.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    my ultimate goal is to have an 1919a6 as my home defense weapon

I like the way you think! You could build a turret at the top of the stairs and hop in when shtf or.....Hear me out......Raise the turret off the floor closer to the ceiling (picture deer stand) and hire a little person to man the machine during 3rd shift hours.

Top Bottom