• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    The announcement of a new Kimber facility in Troy, Alabama says that it will be a design, engineering and manufacturing operation. Can this be the start of a move to a friendlier location? "Don't surprise me none."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Why would any gun manufacturer want to stay in anti-gun territory?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wonder what would happen to the state economy of Connecticut if they lost the gun industry.
    They are one of the smallest states to begin with. If they lost Marlin, CVA, doesn't Colt still do business there?
    I have wondered for a long time how, a state that one would think would value such a sustaining industry, would continue to disparage, degrade, and actively fight against it.
    I've also wondered why the industry puts up with it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Skilled workforce with institutional knowledge in a small industry that cannot be easily replaced by running an Employment Ad in the local newspaper of the new location.

You'd think with modern machining, and probably lower cost of wages/living in many states, that the companies could transition and look at the longer term benefit in being somewhere that also wants them to be there. Seems pretty short sighted on the part of some of these companies. I believe Ruger and others (such as Beretta?) have made it work.

I wonder what would happen to the state economy of Connecticut if they lost the gun industry.
    They are one of the smallest states to begin with. If they lost Marlin, CVA, doesn't Colt still do business there?
    I have wondered for a long time how, a state that one would think would value such a sustaining industry, would continue to disparage, degrade, and actively fight against it.

I'd like to see more companies take a stand both on moving to somewhere more market friendly (lower taxes, less regulation) as well as more 2A friendly. It would take some long term planning, but others have proven it can be done. There is no sense in continuing to support states via your compay's tax dollars and other economic impact if they are outright adversarial regarding your product/business.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

Marlin in has been out of Connecticut for several years. They closed the plants and moved the lever action stuff to New York and the bolt action stuff to Kentucky. No more north haven or new haven stamps on marlin rifles just a laser inscription now.

Colt ???? They have been having issues being profitable for some time now. They are in Hartford CT. With the manufacturing in West Hartford CT.

CVA relocated to Georgia some time ago. Headquarters factory and repair.

So most have left left or have been bought out and relocated already. A couple years ago the oldest marlin plant was still for sale and had no buyer and was sitting empty. Might still be sitting and decaying

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Start? Jim, I think the move away from the East began more than a few years ago--Remington, Beretta, Kahr, PTR, inter alia.

The divide widens and maybe divided so far there's no coming back together unless some outside influence decides to bring this country back together...or at least temporarily.
    I don' think it's a revenue issue with the anit-gun states. I look at the decisions of other states and even the Feds to destroy it's economy without regard to the future.
    Maybe they're just a lot smarter and can see the future well past where I can see or even imagine.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The divide widens and maybe divided so far there's no coming back together unless some outside influence decides to bring this country back together...or at least temporarily.
    I don' think it's a revenue issue with the anit-gun states. I look at the decisions of other states and even the Feds to destroy it's economy without regard to the future.
    Maybe they're just a lot smarter and can see the future well past where I can see or even imagine.

Well, they are spending someone else's money (taxpayers of the state, or in the case of the Feds, all of our tax $), so they don't care if it is lost in an ideological fight.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The firearms manufacturers should carefully evaluate their position on their support of the 2A and relocate their businesses to 2A friendly states. Since the east coast states, where most of our firearms industry was started and often remains to this day, are home to libtard politicians who scream for new gun control laws rather than enforcing the thousands on firearms laws already on the books, it would make sense for states like Indiana to lure these businesses westward. The benefits to these companies in the near long run would be immense: friendly business environment, lower taxes, lower cost of running the business, lower real estate costs, lower construction costs, better housing opportunities for employees, and on and on. Besides it would be “cool” to have a few firearms manufacturers headquartered in Indiana.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I do not understand anyone moving to New York to do business in. I see the ads for new business but the rules and regs far outweight the benefit. Move to Iowa, Indiana, KY, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Florida. Pennsylvania might not be bad if you find the right location. Those are firearm friendly some have great tax laws for individuals and business.

Top Bottom