• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Can anyone shed some light of this? I wish to have a 1911 refinished and are considering a ceracote or a Severn's customs hard hat treatment. It looks like the cost is about $200.00 difference. Aside from an idiot scratch the finish on the front strap checkering its in good shape. Not ever having either done is one really that much better than the other over the long run?

Thanks

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    In my experience cerakote and duracote doesn't hold up too well.

As far as other options I don't know. But I cerakoted one gun and never again.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I had a buddy that had a dura-coated AK
    When he cleaned it he sprayed gunscrubber on it & the paint melted of like gooey black water..
    After seeing this I have always doubted any of those spray on finishes..
    I had a Hk P7M8 hard chromed by Ford's in Florida, Cost me $200, It was the most durable finish I have ever seen to date..

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Properly applied Cerakote bests properly applied Duracote.

I'd like to know more about that Hard Hat treatment from Severns, though. Sounds a lot like ferritic nitrocarburizing.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    In my experience cerakote and duracote doesn't hold up too well.

As far as other options I don't know. But I cerakoted one gun and never again.

Duracoat does not hold up well. Cerakote on the other hand, does. As long as the surface is properly prepped and it is applied correctly.

I find that most people want to find something that will last forever. There is not a coating out there that will last forever. Every finish will wear. Every one of them.

Hard chrome will be the most durable...by far. However, if you are wanting something with color, Cerakote is the only way to go.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Paint is paint. No matter what you call it or how you apply it, it's just paint. Hard chrome and ferritic nitrocarburizing are are a completely different class.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Paint is paint. No matter what you call it or how you apply it, it's just paint. Hard chrome and ferritic nitrocarburizing are are a completely different class.
    That is so far from the truth. There are hundreds of different paints and as many different processed to apply them. I've been in the coating industry only 2 years, but I've been to several schools and workshops in that time, and work with people that have over 40 years experience in the industry. Believe me, all paints are not equal.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    DAn Wessons "Duty Treatment" - a ferritic nitrocarburizing - is incredibly tough and similar to melonite. I don't have a side by side comparison, but I would take it over and cerakote or duracoat any day of the week.

I've heard that Dan Wesson will refinish their own 1911's after the fact, it might be worth asking if they would do a non-Dan Wesson 1911. (I remember reading in some 1911 forum that the cost was $250-300)... this may not even be an option any more.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Duracoat does not hold up well. Cerakote on the other hand, does. As long as the surface is properly prepped and it is applied correctly.

I find that most people want to find something that will last forever. There is not a coating out there that will last forever. Every finish will wear. Every one of them.

Hard chrome will be the most durable...by far. However, if you are wanting something with color, Cerakote is the only way to go.

Disagree. I've seen numerous cerakote jobs from different people that will show holster wear from the very first time.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Disagree. I've seen numerous cerakote jobs from different people that will show holster wear from the very first time.

what part of his statement do you not agree with? Cerakote is better than duracoat, or nothing will last for ever?
    If cerakote is done properly, it is very durable. No holster is going to cause it to show signs of wear after the first use, unless the holster is lined with sand paper.
    Proper prepping is critical.
    Cerakote will out perform duracoat, and duracoat has a longer cure time.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    My G19 has a factory cerakote job. It's carried multiple days of the week and shot often. I think it's about 3 years old now. There is just the tiniest bit of wear starting to happen on the front of the lower. It has held up tremendously.
    Any cerakote that comes off after one holster or doesn't wear very well was not applied correctly.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    my 2013 made sig m11a1 is starting to get a little wear (fde from the factory) on the front of the slide, its called holster wear! (and probably the same wear as a black m11a1 would), my p320 with kg guncoat (done by a lgs in 2015) is still gtg, no sign of wear, there is a small blemish in the finish, but that's where the coater didn't get the frame prepped right (I don't think it was degreased properly)

I think that just like painting a car, if the shop takes it's time, applies it right, it'll last a long time, for the older members of this forum (like me) earl schribe said "I'll paint your car for 99.99!" and believe me you got a 100 dollar paint job, complete with dirt, and the bug's painted over! and the orange peal and over spray was no extra charge!, I had friends that had to take razor blades and scratch the paint off the windshield, but hay you got your painted for 99.99!

if you want dura, cera, or kg guncoat, take it to someone who knows what their doing! (like AllenM) if you give your gun to your buddy, who bought a airbrush at hobby lobby, and bought some cheap online guncoat (you know testors model paint with a different label!) you get what you pay for!......buy once, cry once!

Top Bottom