• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I travel a bit for business and regularly visit ranges that are extremely strict on rate of fire of your personal firearms, but rent out full auto firearms... Is there any explanation for this? I'm to the point where I just leave if I see a sign that says no rapid fire, but before I made this decision I got a warning from an rso about slowing my rate while 5 bats down first time shooters are mag dumping the range rental. Is there some weird insurance issue at play here?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I travel a bit for business and regularly visit ranges that are extremely strict on rate of fire of your personal firearms, but rent out full auto firearms... Is there any explanation for this? I'm to the point where I just leave if I see a sign that says no rapid fire, but before I made this decision I got a warning from an rso about slowing my rate while 5 bats down first time shooters are mag dumping the range rental. Is there some weird insurance issue at play here?
    Places tin foil hat on.... Maybe because perhaps range requires rental guns to use only their ammo only? which of course is sold at higher cost due to it being right there?

LastShot123

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jan 31, 2015
    Hamilton County
    You’re not alone. Literally had this happen to me today. The guy two stalls over is mag dumping two separate full auto rifles one after the other. I send 3 rounds down followed by 2 rounds down, with my G26, and immediately get tapped on the shoulder and asked to keep it to 3 maximum for my alleged “5 round rapid fire”
    it wasn’t a huge deal, but didn’t make sense at all, so my buddies and I who went together started this exact conversation after leaving the range

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Do those ranges that rent FA also have a range employee monitor/watch/assist the shooter the entire time the weapon is on the firing line?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Do those ranges that rent FA also have a range employee monitor/watch/assist the shooter the entire time the weapon is on the firing line?

Most of the ranges that I've been to that rent machine guns typically have an RO basically glued to your back when your shooting. There's only been a few that I've been to over the years that didn't do that (and in a couple of them, I was a known quantity to the owners and they knew that I had experience with full auto).

Though, to the OPs point, I do find it pretty bewildering. Shoot Point Blank is one those ranges with this policy (though they don't rent machineguns, AFAIK). I often go up to the Carmel location to shoot my machine guns, when I don't have a full day to devote to a proper range trip. Once they've verified that I legally own my machine guns, they pretty much leave me alone to dump rounds down range. While they do tend to hover, I think half the time it's more because they are interested in the guns than anything else.

Now why it's okay for me to shoot my HK21 beltfed .308 machinegun full auto, but not for some other dude to shoot his AR-15 at more than a shot every few seconds, I have no idea.

Top Bottom