• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    OK so I am wondering about carry ammo? What drives your selection and use? Does marketing play a role in which ammo you test drive for your Edc? I was watching some you tube videos, from one of my favorite's channel. Not sure when the video was done but he was testing one of the major brands which offer range and self defense ammo which is supposed to be like using the same round. Surprisingly the round was under performing in velocity,and expansion.

Sig Sauer ammo and Hornady critical duty was also tested which appeared to do quite well. Additionally Remington green and white box jhp were also tested and performed on par with the Sig and Hornady, which really surprised me.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Get a box or two of any and all defensive loads and see what works best in your Edc.

My 3 favs are Gold Dot, Cor Bon and Underwood.
    For my snub Smith it's Critical Defense.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    That article is a few years old but if what I've read is correct, IMPD uses Federal HST and it is on the recommended list.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I decided on HST since it was well regarded by many and also seemed to be one of the least expensive today so I picked up a case at $0.37/rd. American Eagle has options with the same ballistics, and I couldn't tell a difference when shooting alternating rounds though it was a very limited experiment for me so far.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    147gr Federal HST is what was recommended to me by much respected INGOers when I moved to 9mm. I've stuck with it since then. It's what some INGO cops carry also.

147gr Federal HST mimics desirable 147gr handloads used for competition/practice well in accuracy and recoil impulse. The heavy for caliber load is effective enough that the +P version is not necessary, unless you just want more recoil.

You can also buy it for 40-50 cents a round in a 50 round box, to your door. It's cheap enough to load a few big sticks, a convenient way to carry your backup ammo in the truck/car/motorcycle.;)

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    .45ACP - Federal HST 230 gr JHP

9mm - Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP in my Glock 43 and Federal HST 147 gr JHP in my Glock 19's

As stated above, Bonefroggunclub.com has the best prices.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I do alot of research and watch alot of youtube vids. Lots of good info out there. I use heavy for caliber loads mostly and tend to stay away from frangible ammo and loads like Liberty Civil Defense and R.I.P ammo.
    .380 acp = Hornady Custom 90 gr. XTP. I watched Shootingthebull410's Youtube series on .380 and this load and Precision One's 90 gr. XTP were the most reliable performers. The Hornady American Gunner is the same load rebranded.
    9mm = Federal HST 147 gr. +P . Great ammo with a proven track record and you can get them for < $30 for a box of 50 online. The +P recoil is very managable in my Glock's as is the whole HST line.
    .45 acp = Federal HST 230 gr. standard and +P and Federal 230 gr. Hydrashoks. Again, proven track records and cheap to buy.
    10mm = Underwood 200 gr. XTP. Great round and < $20 per 20. They shoot great out of my Glock 40.
    .357 Mag = Hornady American Gunner 125 and 158 gr. XTP. I don't carry revolvers alot so I went with a reliable manufacturer and proven bullet design. The XTP's don't expand as much as others, but they expand reliably with good weight retention and penetration.
    .44 Magnum = Hornady Custom 240 and 300 gr. XTP loads.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I absolutely refuse to buy an ammo that comes in anything less than 50 round boxes. I settled on the Fed HST or Winchester Ranger several years ago and have never seen a reason to change.

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I'm using Federal HST too. HST is priced reasonably and seems to do pretty pretty well on the ballistics tests so I chose it over the others. Also very important....don't forget to test your carry weapon with what ever ammo you decide to carry. I like to go through 200 rounds or so trouble free before I feel comfortable carrying new ammo and/or gun.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    OK so I am wondering about carry ammo? What drives your selection and use? Does marketing play a role in which ammo you test drive for your Edc?

My selection is based on my own research from various sources. Marketing plays no role in my decision at all due to the fact that marketing is designed to sell a product and no company is going to admit their product is not as good as some others available. After a moderate amount or research, I choose what I feel would be the best for my situation....I then purchase at least 100 rounds of my choice and test it myself...If all goes well I get what I need being comfortable in my decision.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Mostly, real world stats, then testing (FBI), occasionally new technology (depending on caliber).
    Medium 9mm; Gold Dots or HST, 115 or 124 gr.
    Small 9mm; HST 115/124 gr.
    38 Special; Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr.
    380 ACP; Lehigh Extreme Defender.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I am preferential to the Hornady Critical Duty/Defense ammunition. It is accurate. Of course, in .45ACP. I have looked at the Black Hills "Honey Badger" line, however, have no experience with it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    In 45 - Federal HST 230g

In 9 - Federal HST 147g

Regardless of choice, I take it out and run plenty of rounds through the gun(s) from time to time to ensure it functions as intended. I never understood spending all that money on target loads, yet being too cheap to spend some money on making sure the round I am depending upon functions as intended in my specific gun.

Top Bottom