Foreign National Arrested At Virginia Tech With Illegal 'Assault Firearm....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Virginia Tech must be a weird place

On their own those items are not illegal, but Virginia Code does not allow people with Student Visas to own assault firearms, or, “any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock,” according to the Code definition.

They couldn't have came up with a simpler description?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I don't think we should allow any non-citizen to have firearms on US soil.

However, arresting this kid was stupid. Class 6 felony for possession of a commonly available rifle that's legal for him to purchase.....BUT.....it's illegal once paired with a magazine that's legal for any citizen and readily available at any gun store in his area.....Stupidity.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    On one hand this sounds ominous, but on the other I have seen enough news reports where a half-dozen Fudd guns become an 'arsenal' to be skeptical. It also sounds like Virginia has some strange ideas about the nature and definition of an 'assault rifle'.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't think we should allow any non-citizen to have firearms on US soil.

However, arresting this kid was stupid. Class 6 felony for possession of a commonly available rifle that's legal for him to purchase.....BUT.....it's illegal once paired with a magazine that's legal for any citizen and readily available at any gun store in his area.....Stupidity.
    Why shouldn't they be allowed to defend themselves here?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm having a hard time trying to find "criminal intent" here. He had his AR15 stored in a "student gun locker" at the Dept of Public Safety (that's Vtech's PD HQ?), you mean he was some kind of law-abiding criminal? As for the statute that says he--as a foreign student--is a criminal for having a magazine that's "too big", that sounds like entrapment--especially since he could legally buy it.

Oh well, it was good press for the VTPD allowing them to preen and blow smoke about keeping students safe.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You expect to be able to go to another country and carry your handgun? Maybe I'd be OK with non-citizens from specific countries if those countries also agreed to honor our right to carry on their land.

But no, as of right now, I don't think non-citizens should be able to be armed on US soil. They choose to come here, they should accept the risk of not being armed here.

Most can't legally arm themselves in their home country. You think a Chinese citizen can legally walk through downtown Hong Kong with a pistol??? Why should they be able to here if they can't even do that in their home country. We should stop allowing non-citizens to arm themselves on our soil.

Only exemption should be for hunting.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to defend themselves here?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You expect to be able to go to another country and carry your handgun? Maybe I'd be OK with non-citizens from specific countries if those countries also agreed to honor our right to carry on their land.

But no, as of right now, I don't think non-citizens should be able to be armed on US soil. They choose to come here, they should accept the risk of not being armed here.

Most can't legally arm themselves in their home country. You think a Chinese citizen can legally walk through downtown Hong Kong with a pistol??? Why should they be able to here if they can't even do that in their home country. We should stop allowing non-citizens to arm themselves on our soil.

Interesting.

So, what other "endowed by their Creator" rights should non-citizens give up, here in America?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

For what it's worth as I was advised by someone taking the trip armed, South Africa's restriction on foreign visitors is that you may bring only one handgun per person, but no limitations on the specifics of the handgun. His dilemma was that he wanted it for both hunting and personal protection and had to find a balance where he would have gone with an ideal choice for each purpose had he been able to take two or three.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I thought the official INGO position was that self-defense...including with firearms, is a human right.

Get with the program! You aren't fully human unless you are red, white, and blue-bleeding descendant of a Revolutionary War veteran.

Top Bottom