• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    This is a really interesting video although the HUGE amount of ammo expended in these tests might make you tear up a bit. But the TL;DR of it all is that outside of a firearm or other very confining space, ammo is very safe and in fact probably safer than the household chemicals people have.

[video=youtube;3SlOXowwC4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c[/video]

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Mythbusters did a show on this also. Same conclusion, that you're not really in any danger from rounds, outside of firearm, hurting you.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    This is a really interesting video although the HUGE amount of ammo expended in these tests might make you tear up a bit. But the TL;DR of it all is that outside of a firearm or other very confining space, ammo is very safe and in fact probably safer than the household chemicals people have.

[video=youtube;3SlOXowwC4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c[/video]

I am sure some liberal will be along to call it fake science....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We had this thread a good while back. Awesome video. Its quite telling that turnout gear was enough to stop the bullets that were not contained by a chamber or barrel.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have seen several of the ammo burning tests, none appeared to be as dangerous as the can of lawn mower gas in many peoples garage!

The few things I think are dangerous (that can cause severe or fatal injury) are:

1) Having loaded guns pointed to a living area, if / when they are in a fire to the point the chambered ammo bakes off ~ the bullet has the same, if not more power than firing the cartridge. This could be a danger to firefighters, Doubt it would be a danger to the homeowner because if someone is in the home when the fire is that hot, chances are very high they didn't survive.

2) Storing primers in other than the original container, especially (as I have seen) in a glass jar!

3) Storing Gunpowder in a gun safe or other container that won't open if pressurized. That works like a huge pipe bomb in a fire! I have read that recommended storage is in a 1" thick wooden box with a hinged lid or panel that will pop open if the powder ignites. (think I read that at one of the gunpowder mfg sites)

I have several thousand rounds of ammo, with a lot being High power rifle rounds, I don't worry about it at all except for the fact it is an accelerator if the powder inside starts to burn. However, in my opinion if I have a fire that large, my wife and I will hopefully be out of the house long before that happens. If we aren't, chances are we won't be alive to care!

Top Bottom