• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Today (a Thursday, at about 2:00) I went to my nearby Rural King in Greenwood to see if they had any .30 M1 Carbine ammunition. When I got there the sole clerk was trying to help a customer through a NICS check, sell a Beretta 92 to another customer, and help the other counter customers.

Apparently, when you buy a firearm there, the clerk has to radio to the stockroom in the back of the store and have the weapon's box brought up.

When the poor guy finally got around to a point where he could ask what I needed, I told him I was looking for M1 Carbine ammo. He cocked his head with that "dog reading a road map" look, and I told him "30 caliber M1 Carbine" and that it was a specific cartridge. He kind of sniffed around the rifle ammunition and told me they had none (all the ammunition is behind the counter and so far back that I couldn't read the labels).

Admittedly, .30 Carbine is not the most popular caliber, but I was surprised that a clerk at a gun counter had apparently never heard of it. It wasn't like I was asking for .50 Action Express or something. :):

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I go for the brick of Slim Jim ends, I like the hot ones, however, all the bricks are stuffed onto lower shelves, in no order and I always have to search through a crap load of regular bricks, sometimes finding Teriyaki flavor before I must have found the only hot style they have. I feel your pain.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I go for the brick of Slim Jim ends, I like the hot ones, however, all the bricks are stuffed onto lower shelves, in no order and I always have to search through a crap load of regular bricks, sometimes finding Teriyaki flavor before I must have found the only hot style they have. I feel your pain.

I had a similar experience searching for the hot microwave pork rinds. I was also kind of disappointed with the rest of the store, too.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

I had a similar experience searching for the hot microwave pork rinds. I was also kind of disappointed with the rest of the store, too.

We usually wait until the popcorn is fresh. I just wished they used 'real' popcorn salt instead of the larger grain table salt. Makes for a more enjoyable snack.

:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well.....this is why I do not frequent these places. Regardless of any savings I may experience I will find what I need either on line or get it through other channels.
    No knock on those of you that do go into the big box stores for firearms but man the story's just make me and my already damaged nerves avoid.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Well.....this is why I do not frequent these places. Regardless of any savings I may experience I will find what I need either on line or get it through other channels.
    No knock on those of you that do go into the big box stores for firearms but man the story's just make me and my already damaged nerves avoid.

OK never my goto store for ammo etc but I do miss them.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

I almost always buy my ammo online, usually from Luckygunner or Midway, sometimes Brownell's. However, I just purchased an M1 Carbine from another INGO member, and wanted to shoot it, so I gave the nearby RK a try. Big mistake.

As for firearms, I never do the box stores. My last purchases from a dealer were from a LGS owned by a former co-worker. Before he opened his store, it was Elmore's in Greenwood. The deals may vary, but I enjoy the service I get from the local guys.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I almost always buy my ammo online, usually from Luckygunner or Midway, sometimes Brownell's. However, I just purchased an M1 Carbine from another INGO member, and wanted to shoot it, so I gave the nearby RK a try. Big mistake.

As for firearms, I never do the box stores. My last purchases from a dealer were from a LGS owned by a former co-worker. Before he opened his store, it was Elmore's in Greenwood. The deals may vary, but I enjoy the service I get from the local guys.

Target Sports is my online go to.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Last Week he was in charge of Baby Chicks and Ducklings.............

As a former RK gun barn employee, I can confirm that very, very few of the people behind the gun counter are firearm people. The overwhelming majority of them are minimum wage shelf stockers who get "stuck" in the gun department.

They may be nice people, but not knowledgeable people. People should really view it as a self service sort of place...like McDonalds. If you don't know exactly what you want, then you are better off going somewhere else. This is a part of the reason why you are able to buy guns at the prices that RK offers. Something has to be sacrificed when you sell guns cheaper than any other brick and mortar store in the area.

I am so glad I don't have to work 2 jobs anymore!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It must be nice to have guns stores around with enough competition and selection and don't charge MSRP on everything that going to them rather than the big boxes and online stores is a real option. I'm not saying that to be snarky either. It must be nice. Down this way, it's just more convenient to buy online than it is to get the "service" available at the guns stores close by. There are some nice options I've been to a good drive from here but that really starts to peg the convenience meter into the red.

Our RK store rarely carries much that interests me. If they're not busy, I'll sometimes cruise by to see if anything strikes my attention but usually not.

Top Bottom