Speedway area

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just bought a couple of the Remlin lever actions late last year and came up with two keepers.
    I got an 1895 in .45-70 and a 336 in .35 Remington.
    Neither have any of the "issues" reported after the takeover from Marlin.
    I guess I got lucky.

I really hope someone can/will revive the company.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah. I understand the business side, but I can't help the feeling that this just sucks.

(And hoping my 783 continues to be one of the good ones.)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I loved my Remington R1S. They can build nice weapons and this sucks. Kind of reminds me of the airline industry in the 1980s. Airlines would be bought and then canibalized for profit leaving thousands without a job so a handful of already rich pricks could become richer pricks.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Make a product cheaper to keep up with the lower end does not always make for a better long term in company profits. I submit for your viewing pleasure a pre three headed dog marlin box and a post three headed dog marlin box. The post one was purchased just for the box I sold the gun and paid 20 for the box itself.

rkpudc.jpg

This in a nutshell is what is wrong with the three headed dog. No QC dumbing, down a quality product to meet a price point, and to much reliance on the company name to make sales from the past quality of the product.

Look at winchester. They sold the name to anyone for flashlights, cheap knives, flannel shirts ect. They cheapen the guns to meet a price point. They failed. Now look at browning. They make sure products with their name have quality down to the shirts. The product quality remained high and they are under no pressure to meet a price point by sacrificing quality. Look at a 1980’s 870 wingmaster and a 2015 wingmaster. Look at a 1908’s SA 22 and a 2015 SA 22.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Looks like they were mismanaged as badly as some debt happy family finances. Time are bad - let's charge up the cards and get a home equity loan! Times are bad - oops, I'm sorry, can you bail me out?

I was talking to a cousin a few years ago and he asked me if I ever thought I'd be a million dollars in debt :n00b: like everyone was...me sitting there debt = 0.

Too bad about Remington...but it looks intentional. I'm sure someone got a new house and yacht out of it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    With the failure (deservedly so) of a few of their pistol designs, I'm not surprised. For years, they ignored the fact that their .22 ammo was substandard. I like their 870 and 1100.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Make a product cheaper to keep up with the lower end does not always make for a better long term in company profits. I submit for your viewing pleasure a pre three headed dog marlin box and a post three headed dog marlin box. The post one was purchased just for the box I sold the gun and paid 20 for the box itself.

rkpudc.jpg

This in a nutshell is what is wrong with the three headed dog. No QC dumbing, down a quality product to meet a price point, and to much reliance on the company name to make sales from the past quality of the product.

Look at winchester. They sold the name to anyone for flashlights, cheap knives, flannel shirts ect. They cheapen the guns to meet a price point. They failed. Now look at browning. They make sure products with their name have quality down to the shirts. The product quality remained high and they are under no pressure to meet a price point by sacrificing quality. Look at a 1980’s 870 wingmaster and a 2015 wingmaster. Look at a 1908’s SA 22 and a 2015 SA 22.

Comparing Winchester to Browning..............aren't both owned by same company (and have been for some time)?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    After the R51 debacle, this was probably just a matter of time.

R51, the flop that was their Not-a-Glock, 700/model seven rifle recall for firing without pulling the trigger... The only things they marketed heavily were complete failures, they've failed to capitalize on their most well known legacy products so this was just a matter of time. Let's see if they've borrowed heavily and management sucked them dry like happened to Colt.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Free enterprise, capitalism, my business and I'll run it my way, all sucks eh?
    Seriously though... it's a shame to see the takeovers and gutting of timeless old companies. Buy the name, destroy the name. It's just a matter of time.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Maybe they just need to boost their sales. I understand there is a crackerjack gun salesman that is between jobs. Perhaps he can help turn them around.

obama%20gun%20salesman%20century.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    None of their stuff has been worth a crap since Freedom Group took over all that stuff anyway.

Shame, as a kid I was a Remington fanboy. Now I have a Mossberg. But if I find a good 80s Remington 870, I will be all over that.

Top Bottom