Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Duck View Post
    Mine needs a key to unlock the dial. After I unlock the dial, I place the keys on top of the safe until I'm done for that time period. I can't leave the house without my keys so that's my reminder.

I also try not to go into the safe when I'm real tired and super punchy........ that goes for using power tools, cooking or using any flames, driving, answering the phone, ordering on Amazon, etc...
    Good advice.
    Should be taught in schools
    Wherever you go, there you are.

User Info Menu

Picked up one of these magnets from the below site. Only cost $6 plus shipping. Open on one side. Closed on the other.

Locks - Safe Locks - Government Safe Locks, Parts & Accessories - MBA USA, Inc.

My elderly Father would never lock his safe. Every time I visited, I would find the door closed but the dial not spun. He also kept the combo in a book sitting on top of the safe. I would always lock it and then move the book to a different location. He was stubborn in his old age. Next time I would visit, I would find the safe unlocked again. After his final diagnosis with a brain tumor, the guns were emptied out and moved to my safe. We never did tell Dad. We just let him keep on believing that they were all there.
    I am a Citizen, not a subject....

Before he was the Man in Black, he was the Airman in Air Force Blue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScouT6a View Post
    So, you have a gun safe and you open that safe to take out or put something in. You get distracted, the door swings shut.
    The next day or a few days later, you go to access the safe and realize that it has been unlocked for that amount of time.
    A split second of panic, then a smack to the forehead for a rookie mistake.
    The panic must be similar to the realization you just rammed a patched ball into your muzzle loader, but forgot to pour in the powder.
    "It is a good thing that we do not get as much government as we pay for." - Will Rogers

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have done both, leave the safe unlocked and load a patched ball without powder. LOL I try to keep my safe locked if I am not in the gun room with it.
    Have a great day.
    JIM

User Info Menu

Here I thought this thread was going to be about a horrible boating accident.

My safes are keyed and you can't close the door if you remove the key when open.

I did buy a muzzleloader for cheap that had been cold charged. Removed the nipple, poured in powder, replaced the nipple...boom; works like a champ now.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

Level the safe so the door stays open.
    I just don't feel safe in gun free zones...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigretic View Post
    Yup. Then I just got in the habit of spinning the dial every morning before I leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodFearinGunTotin View Post
    I try to keep the habit going that when I leave walk past it I check the handle. Whenever I leave the house I check the handle. All just to remind myself of the status and habit to try to remember to lock it up. It's not fail safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by medcoxo View Post
    My safe is in a closet--- closet door open, safe open, closet door closed, safe closed. Before I leave the house, I look to make sure the closet door is closed, then I close and lock the door to the office, and turn on the office alarm.
    Bad habits are hard to break. Good habits are good to have. Luckily nothing bad happened (theft/kid) and good on you for looking for ideas.

How about a neck lanyard hung from the safe by a magnet. When you go to open the safe you always put the neck lanyard around your neck. When you are done and lock the safe you take the lanyard off and put it back. When you look down and see the lanyard around your neck later you realize you forgot and go back and lock the safe.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I haven't left one unlocked yet . Although I have made a
    3 hr drive home because I couldn't remember if I locked the safe or not .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KittySlayer View Post
    Bad habits are hard to break. Good habits are good to have. Luckily nothing bad happened (theft/kid) and good on you for looking for ideas.

How about a neck lanyard hung from the safe by a magnet. When you go to open the safe you always put the neck lanyard around your neck. When you are done and lock the safe you take the lanyard off and put it back. When you look down and see the lanyard around your neck later you realize you forgot and go back and lock the safe.
    I can see some value to that. Whatever works for you. All the systems I've seen in this thread require habit or routine. All it takes is for us to forget one time to do our routine or a temporary change in that routine is required for whatever reason ...and a safe might go left unlocked.
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

Level safe so door stays open when it is opened, then close and lock when you leave the room or area.

The colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast