• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    No, not talking about a snowflake's safe space....

So, you have a gun safe and you open that safe to take out or put something in. You get distracted, the door swings shut.
    The next day or a few days later, you go to access the safe and realize that it has been unlocked for that amount of time.
    A split second of panic, then a smack to the forehead for a rookie mistake.
    Has it happened to you? If not, how do prevent It?
    If so, do you do anything different now?
    I know in the Army we had magnetic placards on some safes/ vaults that they would flip to show open or closed status.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Mine needs a key to unlock the dial. After I unlock the dial, I place the keys on top of the safe until I'm done for that time period. I can't leave the house without my keys so that's my reminder.

I also try not to go into the safe when I'm real tired and super punchy........ that goes for using power tools, cooking or using any flames, driving, answering the phone, ordering on Amazon, etc... :n00b:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Mine is just a digital combo.
    I am thinking maybe something as simple as a piece of blaze orange cloth to lay over the door so that the door doesn't swing all the way shut.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Don't multitask. Worst mistake of our era. Habit helps, just like handling your weapon. I find it best to unlock the safe, take out what is needed and immediately lock it. Even if I only need it for 5 minutes.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    That has happened to me, although only hours later not a day or days. Now I just do as EyeCarry said and lock it even if I am going to get back in after a few minutes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right after I got the new addition this summer I did this. Left it unlocked for a few days. Facepalm. And yes, Multi-tasking can be your enemy.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Had a friend do this,, He wasnt so lucky! House was broken into and ALL of his handguns were stolen. I keep certain things in my safe that makes me get in it DAILY before i leave the house so i know its locked every time I leave!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I try to keep the habit going that when I leave walk past it I check the handle. Whenever I leave the house I check the handle. All just to remind myself of the status and habit to try to remember to lock it up. It's not fail safe.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    My safe is in a closet--- closet door open, safe open, closet door closed, safe closed. Before I leave the house, I look to make sure the closet door is closed, then I close and lock the door to the office, and turn on the office alarm.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Mine needs a key to unlock the dial. After I unlock the dial, I place the keys on top of the safe until I'm done for that time period. I can't leave the house without my keys so that's my reminder.

I also try not to go into the safe when I'm real tired and super punchy........ that goes for using power tools, cooking or using any flames, driving, answering the phone, ordering on Amazon, etc... :n00b:

Good advice.
    Should be taught in schools

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Picked up one of these magnets from the below site. Only cost $6 plus shipping. Open on one side. Closed on the other.

Locks - Safe Locks - Government Safe Locks, Parts & Accessories - MBA USA, Inc.

61A8F%2BXi28L._SY355_.jpg

My elderly Father would never lock his safe. Every time I visited, I would find the door closed but the dial not spun. He also kept the combo in a book sitting on top of the safe. I would always lock it and then move the book to a different location. He was stubborn in his old age. Next time I would visit, I would find the safe unlocked again. After his final diagnosis with a brain tumor, the guns were emptied out and moved to my safe. We never did tell Dad. We just let him keep on believing that they were all there.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    So, you have a gun safe and you open that safe to take out or put something in. You get distracted, the door swings shut.
    The next day or a few days later, you go to access the safe and realize that it has been unlocked for that amount of time.
    A split second of panic, then a smack to the forehead for a rookie mistake.

The panic must be similar to the realization you just rammed a patched ball into your muzzle loader, but forgot to pour in the powder.

jwleeper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have done both, leave the safe unlocked and load a patched ball without powder. LOL I try to keep my safe locked if I am not in the gun room with it.
    Have a great day.
    JIM

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Here I thought this thread was going to be about a horrible boating accident.

My safes are keyed and you can't close the door if you remove the key when open.

I did buy a muzzleloader for cheap that had been cold charged. Removed the nipple, poured in powder, replaced the nipple...boom; works like a champ now.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yup. Then I just got in the habit of spinning the dial every morning before I leave.

I try to keep the habit going that when I leave walk past it I check the handle. Whenever I leave the house I check the handle. All just to remind myself of the status and habit to try to remember to lock it up. It's not fail safe.

My safe is in a closet--- closet door open, safe open, closet door closed, safe closed. Before I leave the house, I look to make sure the closet door is closed, then I close and lock the door to the office, and turn on the office alarm.

Bad habits are hard to break. Good habits are good to have. Luckily nothing bad happened (theft/kid) and good on you for looking for ideas.

How about a neck lanyard hung from the safe by a magnet. When you go to open the safe you always put the neck lanyard around your neck. When you are done and lock the safe you take the lanyard off and put it back. When you look down and see the lanyard around your neck later you realize you forgot and go back and lock the safe.

OCD-meme-MommyPerfect.jpg

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I haven't left one unlocked yet . Although I have made a
    3 hr drive home because I couldn't remember if I locked the safe or not .

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Bad habits are hard to break. Good habits are good to have. Luckily nothing bad happened (theft/kid) and good on you for looking for ideas.

How about a neck lanyard hung from the safe by a magnet. When you go to open the safe you always put the neck lanyard around your neck. When you are done and lock the safe you take the lanyard off and put it back. When you look down and see the lanyard around your neck later you realize you forgot and go back and lock the safe.

I can see some value to that. Whatever works for you. All the systems I've seen in this thread require habit or routine. All it takes is for us to forget one time to do our routine or a temporary change in that routine is required for whatever reason ...and a safe might go left unlocked.

Top Bottom