• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    What's everyone's opinion on this new law?
    Used to be that if a person was convicted of a felony, that got their DNA put on file.
    Now, if a person is even charged with a felony, they get a DNA swab.
    My concern is, charges can get dropped or they can be pled down in many cases.
    It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that the DNA stays on file "to help solve cold cases".
    Does this violate a person's rights, in your opinion?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    More overreach by an out of control state.

Many will defend it under the "you can take liberty for a promise of safety" position so popular among many today.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Can't believe this one is upheld by the court
    I'm all for catching bad guys but not for giving up rights. And your DNA is the most sacred possession a person has and we all know how labs and police evidence cam get lost, screwed up or improperly used

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    ScouT6A, do you have a specific law you are referencing? Feds? State?

(Not that it matters to me...they have had my DNA, iris scans, finger prints for many a year.)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A universal DNA database has been on the .gov wish list for a very long time. If they thought they could get away with it, they'd DNA everyone at birth, fingerprint at 18, and update pictures for facial recognition every five years.

We could always pass a law explicitly prohibiting such things, and throw out any representative who doesn't support it. Pigs could also sprout wings and carry Glocks one day.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    A universal DNA database has been on the .gov wish list for a very long time. If they thought they could get away with it, they'd DNA everyone at birth, fingerprint at 18, and update pictures for facial recognition every five years.

We could always pass a law explicitly prohibiting such things, and throw out any representative who doesn't support it. Pigs could also sprout wings and carry Glocks one day.

In case you haven't noticed, they are already updating pictures for facial recognition, although not every five years. Each time you get your driver's license/state ID Card renewed at a license branch....

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I've always wondered if those "find your ancestors" DNA places sell the info.

And you can bet the state will sell your DNA info for the right deal. They already do this with your car plate and title info- else how would everybody and their brother know to send me info on car insurance, extended warranty, roadside assistance, etc. when I never contacted them? They even know the kind of vehicle I purchased and the model year.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Pretty sure this is a federal law, though a number of states have followed suit. Arrestees give up a DNA buccal swab, which gets entered in CODIS, a DNA database. This was litigated all the way to the Supreme Court a few years back. I think the case is callled Maryland v. king. The court held that giving up a DNA sample like this was analogous to geting fingerprinted---routine, non-invasive, and not a violation of privacy. I report, you decide.

These arestee samples are only for the CODIS database. If someone is arrested and it is expexted that DNA evidence will be of some evidentiary value to resolving the criminal charges that are the subject of the arrest (say, a sexual assault), law enforcement could try to get a search warrant for the suspect's DNA on a showing of probable cause. The CODIS sample is not for use as evidence in the pending criminal case.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Right, but at least we had a choice. I didn't like it, but it was part of the cost for the privilege to serve.

Amen. Didn't mind one bit for that. And yes deffinately a great honor and privilege to serve.

But if I'm falsely accused, I don't want to surrender any of my sacred fluids lol.
    Who knows what they could improperly do with that down the road. It's like leaving your used condom in the trash in a hotel or the girls house, you just DONT EVER DO IT!!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok I'll play... I'll be the devils advocate here.

Don't get arrested for a felony and you wont have to worry about it...

Well, innocents do get arrested and prosecuted. Not a great percentage by any means but it happens.

People don't care about the 1 or 2 percent of innocents . . . until they find them amongst them.

I am just out of a jury trial of an innocent. That was only my 3rd innocent trial in 23 years.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Amen. Didn't mind one bit for that. And yes deffinately a great honor and privilege to serve.

But if I'm falsely accused, I don't want to surrender any of my sacred fluids lol.
    Who knows what they could improperly do with that down the road. It's like leaving your used condom in the trash in a hotel or the girls house, you just DONT EVER DO IT!!!

No sir no way

Top Bottom