Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

DNA with Felony Charge

What's everyone's opinion on this new law?
    Used to be that if a person was convicted of a felony, that got their DNA put on file.
    Now, if a person is even charged with a felony, they get a DNA swab.
    My concern is, charges can get dropped or they can be pled down in many cases.
    It is my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that the DNA stays on file "to help solve cold cases".
    Does this violate a person's rights, in your opinion?
    All skill is in vain when an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket.

User Info Menu

More overreach by an out of control state.

Many will defend it under the "you can take liberty for a promise of safety" position so popular among many today.

User Info Menu

Shouldn't this be in political sub-forum?

Big shocker, Freeman opposes it. Textbook governmental overreach.

Expungement of DNA is nonsense.
    I refer to every child as "Chief"

User Info Menu

Can't believe this one is upheld by the court
    I'm all for catching bad guys but not for giving up rights. And your DNA is the most sacred possession a person has and we all know how labs and police evidence cam get lost, screwed up or improperly used
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -Ronald Reagan

User Info Menu

Charge? Absolutely not.

If it is pertinent to the specific case, get a warrant.
    "Research just slows the funny down." - Dr.Midnight

User Info Menu

ScouT6A, do you have a specific law you are referencing? Feds? State?

(Not that it matters to me...they have had my DNA, iris scans, finger prints for many a year.)
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

Ark
    Plinker

User Info Menu

A universal DNA database has been on the .gov wish list for a very long time. If they thought they could get away with it, they'd DNA everyone at birth, fingerprint at 18, and update pictures for facial recognition every five years.

We could always pass a law explicitly prohibiting such things, and throw out any representative who doesn't support it. Pigs could also sprout wings and carry Glocks one day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    A universal DNA database has been on the .gov wish list for a very long time. If they thought they could get away with it, they'd DNA everyone at birth, fingerprint at 18, and update pictures for facial recognition every five years.

We could always pass a law explicitly prohibiting such things, and throw out any representative who doesn't support it. Pigs could also sprout wings and carry Glocks one day.
    In case you haven't noticed, they are already updating pictures for facial recognition, although not every five years. Each time you get your driver's license/state ID Card renewed at a license branch....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    ...Expungement of DNA...
    Just gonna quote this snippit because tomorrow is Valentine's day.
    Completely voluntary. For now.

Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    ScouT6A, do you have a specific law you are referencing? Feds? State?

(Not that it matters to me...they have had my DNA, iris scans, finger prints for many a year.)
    Same here. Anyone who's ever been In the military. That's not the point though. Innocent until proven guilty
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast