• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I just watched on the news about ghost gun purchases.
    They mentioned that you can purchase a complete glock like 100% in parts.
    where do they find all the places that sell so called ghost guns?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For the most part this is true unless you get an 80% frame. Brownells sells 80% Glock frames now. I get emails for them pretty often. I'm not trying to start an argument just stating a fact.

I forgot about this. Good point. No argument to actual fact but the average villain will not poses the tools/skill sets required. But it could be ghosted I guess.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Lots of places to get 80% 1911 frames, too.

Same as with 80% AR lowers.

Heck, a person can even get an 80% "Ruger 10/22" receiver, build a complete rifle (or pistol) and never even touch a Ruger part.

Lots of cool kids are doing it these days.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have to grin when I see people concerned about the Government tracing firearms to the owners (in preparation for confiscation). New firearms purchased and owned by the original owner are fairly easily traced, via the manufactures record as to where it was shipped and then reviewing the "book" containing the 4473's records.

However most used firearms would take weeks if even possible to trace! Even if purchased through a FFL gun shop - If there are no directly traceable records providing a direct path from manufacture to current owner the last sale is in the book of the gun shop that sold the firearm BUT which gun shop?

Unless the BATF has resumed keeping the records on a computer (which is violation of congress and was the cause of Congress withholding funds a few years ago until the records were purged) There is no way to trace the last sale IE: the chain of ownership cannot be traced. Many of the firearms I own are several years old and have been purchased from private parties. There have probably been 4 or more owners in the last 20 years. These would be almost impossible to trace as even if all of the previous owners are still alive, most would not remember the sale and next owner! If it was easy most stolen firearms would be recovered.

In all reality, I don't give a crap if the G-men knows what firearms I own. I don't violate any laws and if confiscation ever becomes an issue I am sure many of us would not take the situation lightly, as if that ever happens I feel sure there will be a revolution in the USA. Most politicians are aware of this and tread fairly lightly even as they shout for more "gun control"

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can't tell you how many people I've started to shoot and then thought to myself, "Dangit, this gun has a serial number on it" and refrained. Good thing we have all these intelligent people working out our societal problems with sensible solutions that really get at the heart of the issues. Serial numbers FTW!!

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I can't tell you how many people I've started to shoot and then thought to myself, "Dangit, this gun has a serial number on it" and refrained. Good thing we have all these intelligent people working out our societal problems with sensible solutions that really get at the heart of the issues. Serial numbers FTW!!

hahaha

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Heck, a person can even get an 80% "Ruger 10/22" receiver, build a complete rifle (or pistol) and never even touch a Ruger part.

This is particularly interesting. I had no idea there were 80% 10/22 receivers. Hmmm, now I am in the mood for a "ghosted" 10/22 charger...with lots of Kidd parts, etc. :rockwoot:
    I'll have to start another wish list similar to my 80% lower AR wish list.

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    My wife saw something on tv about this and was telling me about it. I had no idea what she was talking about until I realized she was talking about 80% lowers. According to her this is something gangs are building to get around gun laws. Apparently gangs are against breaking gun laws and have found this to be a useful loophole to stay legal.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This is particularly interesting. I had no idea there were 80% 10/22 receivers. Hmmm, now I am in the mood for a "ghosted" 10/22 charger...with lots of Kidd parts, etc. :rockwoot:
    I'll have to start another wish list similar to my 80% lower AR wish list.

Just one example. 10/22® STYLE 80 PERCENT RECEIVER BLANK W/ EXTENDED RAIL - ATF APPROVED

If I thought that *I* could finish one - I'd give it a whirl. I have a few machinest friends who COULD do the work... But then they'd be doing the work and not me. And the BATFEieio frowns upon that.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    No argument to actual fact but the average villain will not poses the tools/skill sets required. But it could be ghosted I guess.

I think this guy could pull it off.....

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Top Bottom