• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well Friday I had an eye opener. I was carrying a computer from my car to the office. I went down a set of steps and my heal slipped off the bottom step. I ended up falling forward on the computer on the concrete sidewalk. The big problem was the PC fell on my right thumb. So my right thumb ended up getting badly pinched with my atop the PC and the PC atop my thumb. Thankfully I did not break it but the pinch caused a lot of bleeding under the thumbnail. Really hurt and it makes it where I can't put any pressure on it.

Tried a bit of shooting today.

I can use a pistol left handed only but the accuracy isn't the greatest. Can't shoot anything rifle with with a pistol grip, the M14 and shotgun have way to much recoil. But you know what, my M1 Carbine in it's potbelly M2 stock is completely comfortable to shoot. So until my thumb heals. I am packing the Carbine in the car.

I need to practice some more left handed pistol though. But I hope my thumb will be okay for Coaches upcoming shoot at Parabellum.
    IMG_0241.JPG

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I injured my right hand at work years back and had to have 2 surgeries on it. That sucked but I learned to do everything with my left hand and got pretty good at it. After my hand got a bit better, my family freaked out when I used one fork in each hand to mow down my dinner in record time. It was quite impressive.

Hope your wife helps you out, mine didn't so I became a switch hitter in all kinds of things.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Bummer, Big Moose !
    You might want to keep ice on it, and don't do anything to aggravate it further.
    Heal well, and quickly.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Yep, ice is good.

If the thumbnail has enough blood pooled under it that it throbs with your heartbeat, drill a hole or use a red hot piece of wire to make a hole to relieve the pressure.

You will know if you went too far making the hole.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yep, ice is good.

If the thumbnail has enough blood pooled under it that it throbs with your heartbeat, drill a hole or use a red hot piece of wire to make a hole to relieve the pressure.

It's not quite that bad, but it is sensitive. It is slowly getting better. Knees took a beating too.

Probably not the best to have a PC out in front of you with both hands full where you cant really see the steps.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Yep, ice is good.

I would suggest a very small drill bit and hand pressure only to drill the nail. The hot paperclip method scares the hell out of me.. Too easy to go too far.. the drill bit will work, just be patient. I speak from experience with both methods.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    It's not quite that bad, but it is sensitive....

Then stick with ice and an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen, Aleve or Celebrex if you have it.

I would suggest a very small drill bit and hand pressure only to drill the nail....

Hahahahaha...yeah, not the place to get out the 1/2" Milwaukee drill. I should have mentioned a very small bit in a pin vise turned by hand.:D

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Back when I shot USPSA I had to have surgery to reattach a ligament in my left wrist ( I am left handed). I was in a cast for six months. Learned how to shoot right handed and in that sense I'm grateful. To me being proficient with either hand is a win. I still struggle shooting rifle right-handed though.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Back when I shot USPSA I had to have surgery to reattach a ligament in my left wrist ( I am left handed). I was in a cast for six months. Learned how to shoot right handed and in that sense I'm grateful. To me being proficient with either hand is a win. I still struggle shooting rifle right-handed though.

So how did it feel to shoot like a normal person.......for a short while anyway? :):

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    So how did it feel to shoot like a normal person.......for a short while anyway? :):

Ha! I practice 1 handed drills semi frequently. Being right handed ive found 1 handed I shoot better left than right :dunno:

As far as two handed left thats not a bad idea. I'll have tl start working on that

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ugh. Sorry for your injury.

I train and shoot a fair amount weak handed. A little plug for competition shooting here as weak hand shooting is often incorporated/mandated in the COF.

If I had your injury, I'd go to the LH BUG G43 setup I have. It would work although not ideal. I don't routinely care to trust the low capacity gun for EDC.

This is a good reminder to get a LH holster for the G19. I do have a generic mag holder that would serve the purpose of the other side.

Using the strong hand for support and changing mags is certainly in need of some work though. As is LH trigger/shoulder/eye work on the long guns.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado

Well. It did make mag changes slightly faster.. but being left eye dominant made it slower for me to aim on those distance shots. Once I got used to it it was okay but it always felt "weird".

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ugh. Sorry for your injury.

I train and shoot a fair amount weak handed. A little plug for competition shooting here as weak hand shooting is often incorporated/mandated in the COF.

If I had your injury, I'd go to the LH BUG G43 setup I have. It would work although not ideal. I don't routinely care to trust the low capacity gun for EDC.

This is a good reminder to get a LH holster for the G19. I do have a generic mag holder that would serve the purpose of the other side.

Using the strong hand for support and changing mags is certainly in need of some work though. As is LH trigger/shoulder/eye work on the long guns.

Yep!

Another reminder that we all need to be proficient with our carry guns using both hands at the same time and both hands one at a time. We also need to have gear to carry on our support side and have experience using it prior to it being necessary.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Been keeping the M1 carbine I have stashed in the car. I don't go anywhere else really but work and home. And I can't carry at work anyway.

The light recoil and the big fat fatbelly stock take all the pressure off the thumb. And with Hornady crit defense ammo the thing is damn effective and I have 30 rounds.

Top Bottom