• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Laws regarding firearms across the country are changing so fast, I can't keep up...

Can someone here who is "in the know" about Indiana law tell me, can I still legally ship/mail a shotgun directly to a buyer within the boundaries of the state of Indiana (fellow Hoosier, proper person, etc)?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I do believe that you can, yes.

Good luck finding a carrier who'll do so if you declare the item. (And good luck with an insurance claim if you don't declare the item)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    200   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    With long guns within the state, it is the same as a face to face transaction. So yes you can legally ship it to his/her door.
    I rarely insure guns when I ship, as I feel the insurance sticker says "steal me, I'm valuable", to each their own.
    I do delivery confirmation, which is standard at the USPS these days on all packages.

Also I would insist on a Postal Money Order for the purchase, that way he cannot open a dispute like he could with paypal.
    I personally accept paypal on less expensive items, it has been my experience that some gun buyers have buyers remorse and will try to get out of it after they have bought it.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    You are in the middle of the state if you live in Indy. You can get to just about any point in Indiana under 2.5 hours. I would have the buyer drive up to you or meet them half way. This is just my two cents

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Laws regarding firearms across the country are changing so fast, I can't keep up...

Can someone here who is "in the know" about Indiana law tell me, can I still legally ship/mail a shotgun directly to a buyer within the boundaries of the state of Indiana (fellow Hoosier, proper person, etc)?

Yes

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Fed Ex will do it BUT if you declare it as a firearm they will tell you they MUST ship overnight, read expensive, this is NOT correct. Another Fed Ex informed me of this.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I do believe that you can, yes.

Good luck finding a carrier who'll do so if you declare the item. (And good luck with an insurance claim if you don't declare the item)

IIRC mailing long-guns through USPS is still GTG. They recommend you do it by registered mail (so it stays locked in the cabinet and the chain of custody is tracked).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Not tracking. There has been no change since 1968.

What do you believe has changed?

State lines=FFL. This has been the case since 1968.

If intrastate=no FFL, ship it UPS, DHL, FedEx, gorilla or lobstergram, or, my preferred method, having rhino dress up as a giant banana and delivery it.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I’ve shipped a firearm to someone inside the state and as mentioned, its legal but it’s expensive. Buyer and I agreed on the shipping cost and arrangements because we couldn’t get coordinated with work schedules, family time, etc. Seamless transaction and we’ve even done business again since then.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    IIRC mailing long-guns through USPS is still GTG. They recommend you do it by registered mail (so it stays locked in the cabinet and the chain of custody is tracked).

For those who haven't tried registered mail,.....it works pretty well. I'd never done it before but had a valuable item to ship a few weeks back and decided to go registered. The box/package needs to be clean(unmarked)and all edges need to be sealed with brown paper tape(expensive,...find it in your local stationary supply/office supply store), but then it's amazingly cheap. Shipped from IN to PA and insured for $16k cost me $55. It's not fast since the handling and sigs slow things down, but it got there in about four days. Nobody was there to sign for it so it was held at the PO for pickup, but that's better than having it walk away. Generally speaking I usually don't insure packages either but in this case I wasn't gonna send it 'neckid' and hope for the best.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    For those who haven't tried registered mail,.....it works pretty well. I'd never done it before but had a valuable item to ship a few weeks back and decided to go registered. The box/package needs to be clean(unmarked)and all edges need to be sealed with brown paper tape(expensive,...find it in your local stationary supply/office supply store), but then it's amazingly cheap. Shipped from IN to PA and insured for $16k cost me $55. It's not fast since the handling and sigs slow things down, but it got there in about four days. Nobody was there to sign for it so it was held at the PO for pickup, but that's better than having it walk away. Generally speaking I usually don't insure packages either but in this case I wasn't gonna send it 'neckid' and hope for the best.
    My wife's engagement and wedding rings were made by a jeweler in CA that I found through another gun forum. Every time we've had to ship things he creates the label, it's always registered with no insurance. He said as long as he generates the label his business insurance will cover it, but he's never had any issues shipping things registered. The chain of custody is tracked so well that nobody dare steal anything from registered mail. IIRC, small registered parcel with no insurance is less than $20.

Top Bottom