• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    There was a RO at Point Blank in Carmel. I became friends with her and loaned her many guns to shoot. She was only 19 so she couldn't buy a handgun but she outshot me, the NRA shooting instructor, and EVERY GUY I saw her shoot against.

I contacted a gun writer I know, I won't mention his name but most would recognize him. I told him of this raw talent and asked advice for getting her a sponsor. He recommended shooting in a few local matches and if the results were what should be he would pull some strings.

I told her that I would loan her a CZ of mine and give her 1000 rounds of practice ammo. All was going as planned till a Darwin Award winner killed himself on the range while she was working. Being a 19 year old female she took it REAL HARD and requested to be kept on the sales floor. That only lasted a few weeks then she quit.

Its a shame this young woman, with a talent most of us will never reach, is now out of shooting.

If you are reading this Rachael I wish you the best in your future.

Cayce

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Christ, that sucks.

I honestly can't imagine what it would be like to walk a new shooter out to the firing line, patiently show them how to work the gun, then pat them on the shoulder and leave them to it only to watch them commit suicide a few seconds later with the gun you just showed them how to use. It's awful that range staff are put in the position of trying to identify those people and then deal with it if they get bluffed.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Everything dies. People, animals, plants and planets. The reality of life is death. Before I was her age I was killing people for a living. Darwin Award winners are what they are, no one had to kill them their own stupidity did it for them. Too bad she was unable to handle this...but then again she was holding potential death in her hand every day, and walked out to drive potential death home every evening. Death is not your fault (though you may be a subcontractor), people need to get over it's being special. If it was special not everyone would get to do it...or it wouldn't be free.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Women , especially young women at that , always take tragic events extra hard. They think with their hearts. Hopefully one day when time has healed her wound ,she can return to doing something that she liked.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Everything dies. People, animals, plants and planets. The reality of life is death. Before I was her age I was killing people for a living. Darwin Award winners are what they are, no one had to kill them their own stupidity did it for them. Too bad she was unable to handle this...but then again she was holding potential death in her hand every day, and walked out to drive potential death home every evening. Death is not your fault (though you may be a subcontractor), people need to get over it's being special. If it was special not everyone would get to do it...or it wouldn't be free.

Actually she did NOT own or carry a gun. If offered one to shoot she would use it or show you how they work.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not that it matters, but...

I'm confused: was this an accident or suicide? Cayce mentions "Darwin Award", which intentional suicide is a disqualifier, but then some one else uses the word, "suicide".

:dunno:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Women , especially young women at that , always take tragic events extra hard. They think with their hearts. Hopefully one day when time has healed her wound ,she can return to doing something that she liked.

I hate to say it, but not just young women,i'm a 49 year old man and I've worked in a gun shop (part time) for about 10 years and over the course I've gotten to know quite a few regulars, and one came in almost every Saturday and most times he'd bring in his pommerian (I hate poms! yippy little ankle nippers!), but penny was different, she never barked, she never nipped!, the only pom I've ever liked!.

he (penny's owner) had quite a few guns, m1 carbines, 1911's, he had a all matching parts gap letter harvester garand!, he had a second gen colt saa hand engraved by mike dubber (look him up his work is about the best you'll ever see), but he didn't have a smith and Wesson 69, till I showed him one, he handed it back he said i'll take it, so it went into layaway, the about a year later his son passed away, right before Christmas, the few times I saw him after that, he looked good, and I had told him I was sorry to hear about his son, his son and I worked together(my full time job), in different buildings,but I didn't know him personally,....another regular who stops in every Saturday stopped in and asked if we'd heard about fred (not his real name)...I said no, the regular said he'd died, then another regular came in and said he committed suicide .....the next time I was at work, the owner of the shop said "I got an atf trace request".....yep you guessed it......smith and Wesson 69 that had been sold to fred.

it sill bothers me, I miss fred and his dog, fred's current wife (the son was with his first wife who'd died of cancer), called me on my personal phone and asked if she could come in and pay off a 9mm fred had in layaway I said yes, I almost asked if she could bring in penny so I could say goodbye, now the honest part, i'm tearing up as I type this.

I do hope the person the op is talking about can get past this, but it's hard on anybody, and I hope that I never get to the point where something like fred wont bother me.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Not that it matters, but...

I'm confused: was this an accident or suicide? Cayce mentions "Darwin Award", which intentional suicide is a disqualifier, but then some one else uses the word, "suicide".

:dunno:

It was a suicide. He wasn't watched as much as some of the others because he was a regular. The ones that come in with the little white 'loaner pistols' carriers get the closer looks.

Top Bottom