• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    OK so this a.m. our dog was going ballistic, I mean big time. So I stop working and go outside to check things out. I found our chicken coop broken and several dead chickens. Then I see two large dogs one was a pit bull mix and the other some type of coon dog.

Clearly one of the dogs killed the chickens.

So I go back in and call the Sheriff's dept, we have no local PD. They going to send someone out along with either wildlife management or animal control. About a hour later I go back out with a leash and try to secure them. Next thing I know the pit bull mix is attacking me. Blood is all over my arm and several bites.
    I get the thing off me and retreat back inside, this is my house my property, but I didn't want to shoot someone's dog.

Part of me could not believe this was happenings! Now about 10 minutes later I look out the back window and the Pitt was charging and ramming the fence trying to get to our baby kids. Still no sheriff's dept. So I went out the back deck and tried to throw food away from the kids. No luck, mom got the kids away from the fence but it was not giving up, so I had to draw on it and dropped it in its tracks. Now I feel like crap.

About 10 minutes later county sheriff's rolls up. They made a report took images of the coop , deceased chickens, and bites on my arm and leg. They collected the dogs and will be notifying the owner. Now my question, through out the whole ordeal I had the hardest time suspending my sense of disbelief. I could not believe this was actually happening, I just wonder what it could have done differently?

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    From what you're telling, I don't think you could have taken a different course and stayed safe. Seems you suffered for the course you took. Call your lawyer, have a conversation just to be sure.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You are a nicer person than me...

Dead Chickens
    Law called

These dogs would NOT get the chance to draw blood on ME!!

I like animals and all, but WE are at the TOP of the Food Chain...Bill

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I am with Billybob44 on this one. OP, you showed way more restraint than most of us could muster. I am very fond of my pets but no way would I get mauled on my own property. First sign of aggression and the stray dog takes a dirt nap.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    From what you're telling, I don't think you could have taken a different course and stayed safe. Seems you suffered for the course you took. Call your lawyer, have a conversation just to be sure.

Sheriff said to call the owners home owners insurance as they are responsible for damages, med bills etc. In Tennessee land owners have the legal right to shoot any animal attacking your live stock. I am still mad about it. And I am hoping it comes back negative for rabies. I rally don't know who I am madder at the dog owners or myself for thinking the dog wouldn't attack me.

I told many wife going forward unless we know the dog they are going to get a warning shot and if that does not get them to leave, then its not t my problem.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Wow and today was national love your pet day...

so so sad for the owners. :crying::crying:

True, losing a pet is a very sad thing. I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to my pup. BUT, that being said, these dogs' owner(s) are not responsible dog owners. You don't let your dogs roam without any perimeters (i.e. fence, electric fence, chain, tether, etc.).

wcd, you did what you had to to keep yourself and your family safe. You may have been able to get everyone inside. You may have been able to fire toward the dogs and scare them off. You also may have been hurt even worse, or one of the kids could've been hurt or worse. Lots of possibilities. The dogs had already attacked your livestock and you! you made a decision based on the information you had at the time. You did what you needed to.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Call a lawyer to Cover your ass and don't say anymore. Maybe delete your post.
    I don't think you did anything wrong in killing the dog or dogs but in this day and age people will sue you over a damn cake and actualy win

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You did the right thing, and probably waited longer than most would have. Don't let yourself get hurt over some mongrel. We had a pit down the street go through its electric fence and knock my little daughter down. Luckily my older niece was there to drag her away before more damage was done. I went down and stood in the field across from that house just begging that thing to step off his owners property. People > Dogs.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You did the right thing, and probably waited longer than most would have. Don't let yourself get hurt over some mongrel. We had a pit down the street go through its electric fence and knock my little daughter down. Luckily my older niece was there to drag her away before more damage was done. I went down and stood in the field across from that house just begging that thing to step off his owners property. People > Dogs.

Exactly. Some people can't get past the dog, family pet, family member thing. Not me. I'll kill that animal without hesitation (as long as im legal) before it hurts my family. I had a similar situation not to long ago where when I had came out it must have known I was serious and didn't charge again. I was mentaly begging that dog to come into my yard again so that I could have peace knowing the threat ended then and there. Sadly it still lives.
    Some people allow their dogs to become vicious predators. When that happens and they attack other people and pets and farm animals they need killed, period. I dont plan on going to jail for,killing a dog but if I saved my child from being scarred for life or killed I would.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Exactly. Some people can't get past the dog, family pet, family member thing. Not me. I'll kill that animal without hesitation (as long as im legal) before it hurts my family. I had a similar situation not to long ago where when I had came out it must have known I was serious and didn't charge again. I was mentaly begging that dog to come into my yard again so that I could have peace knowing the threat ended then and there. Sadly it still lives.
    Some people allow their dogs to become vicious predators. When that happens and they attack other people and pets and farm animals they need killed, period. I dont plan on going to jail for,killing a dog but if I saved my child from being scarred for life or killed I would.

I think that's it, I kept seeing the dog for what I wanted it to be if that makes sense. For our family our dogs are well cared for friendly, and part of the family. So I guess I was not seeing the dog for what it was, versus the dangerous animal it was. When it was trying to kill the baby goats that's when it crossed the line.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think that's it, I kept seeing the dog for what I wanted it to be if that makes sense. For our family our dogs are well cared for friendly, and part of the family. So I guess I was not seeing the dog for what it was, versus the dangerous animal it was. When it was trying to kill the baby goats that's when it crossed the line.

I hope you heal up fast. You did the right thing and I also hope you find closure with that

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I think your lucky it didn't rip your arm up real bad or cause even worse bodily harm. I don't think I would have let it that close to me.

Top Bottom