• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeyB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    So several years ago I bought a pistol from my LGS and all was good. I went back two days later, found another pistol I wanted and was told that I had to wait a week before purchasing it because I had just bought a pistol a couple days earlier. I know the dealer has to fill out additional paperwork when someone is buying multiple guns at one time, but I can’t find any evidence of any sort of waiting period between gun purchases in Indiana. I ask now because I just bought a pistol on Monday and want to make a 2 hour drive to buy another gun (pistol or rifle) today. So 3 days between gun purchases. Is there any truth to what my LGS told me? I don’t want to make the drive just to find out I can’t buy something.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Someone didn't want to fill out a 3310?:D

Yes, he is full of it. He didn't want to fill out the 3310.

In the gun business gun dealers use "the law" as an excuse or rationalization not to engage in business. It is a consequences of a hobby becoming a business.

E.g., when I was 18, I went to a gun shop on the westside of Indianapolis to purchase an HK93. Had the money in my pocket and had scouted the gun earlier with my dad.

I walk in, point to the HK93 and state that I desire to purchase said HK93. Stool sitter does not move. He states that it is "highly illegal" for him to sell me the gun.

In shock upon hearing that a business does not want my money, I state that I am not a prohibited person and I have the money (I even wave the dough).

I was told "the law" requires him not to sell it to me. I left and bought one at another dealer.

Next time this happened to me I shut down a Gander Mountain for hours after the bastards tried to tell me that "the law" required me to give them a phone number.

I won't be lied to by the lazy a-holes anymore. Always ask them to cite the statute/CFR. The cannot and will not. You know to shop around then.

I walked out of a gun store in Lafayette after the a-holes tried to tell me that the way I checked boxes on the 4473 was "highly illegal". I took my money back and have not and will not return.

Remember, just because they well guns does not mean that they are on our side. People want power over others. For some playing "gun god" is their way to obtain this power.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Kirk, is the 3310 the form the gun shop has to fill out when a person purchases 2 or more handguns within 6 days? (Or is within a week?) I was told at one LGS that they had to fill out a form (he didn't tell me the form number) when one person bought more than one handgun within a certain time period. I want to say it's 6 or 7 days.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Kirk, is the 3310 the form the gun shop has to fill out when a person purchases 2 or more handguns within 6 days? (Or is within a week?) I was told at one LGS that they had to fill out a form (he didn't tell me the form number) when one person bought more than one handgun within a certain time period. I want to say it's 6 or 7 days.

Curiosity got to me ... google lead to a fact sheet with this summary:

gold-one-by-one.png
    [FONT=&quot][h=3]Fast Facts[/h]
    1. The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees (FFLs) to report multiple sales or other dispositions of handguns to the same purchaser.
    2. The sale or disposition of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time, or within five consecutive business days of each other.
    3. ATF views the recovery of one or more firearms used in crimes that were part of a multiple purchase as an indicator of firearms trafficking.

[/FONT]

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Curiosity got to me ... google lead to a fact sheet with this summary:

gold-one-by-one.png
    [FONT=&quot][h=3]Fast Facts[/h]
    1. The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees (FFLs) to report multiple sales or other dispositions of handguns to the same purchaser.
    2. The sale or disposition of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time, or within five consecutive business days of each other.
    3. ATF views the recovery of one or more firearms used in crimes that were part of a multiple purchase as an indicator of firearms trafficking.

[/FONT]

Thanks, Bill! I was too lazy to Google it! I knew it was a certain time period, but wasn't sure how many days. Apparently, it's 5! :D

MikeyB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Thank guys! So being this is from another dealer completely, do I need to notify them that I just bought a pistol a few days ago so they can fill out a 3310 or does it even matter?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Thank guys! So being this is from another dealer completely, do I need to notify them that I just bought a pistol a few days ago so they can fill out a 3310 or does it even matter?

IANAL, but I would just to be safe. I'm not sure how those things work exactly for FFL holders. Hopefully, Kirk will pop back in and drop some knowledge!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    So several years ago I bought a pistol from my LGS and all was good. I went back two days later, found another pistol I wanted and was told that I had to wait a week before purchasing it because I had just bought a pistol a couple days earlier. I know the dealer has to fill out additional paperwork when someone is buying multiple guns at one time, but I canÂ’t find any evidence of any sort of waiting period between gun purchases in Indiana. I ask now because I just bought a pistol on Monday and want to make a 2 hour drive to buy another gun (pistol or rifle) today. So 3 days between gun purchases. Is there any truth to what my LGS told me? I donÂ’t want to make the drive just to find out I canÂ’t buy something.

Pat, in Tipton, did 3 transfers for me in 7 days. He said I MAY get a visit from the ATF. Three weeks later there was a knock at the door, two ATF agents. I didn't ask for a warrant but let them in. They explained the reason for their visit, 3 transfers in 1 week. They said they were "worried about weapons ending up in Chicago and you know the problems there." ( Yes. the punks carry guns but law abiding citizens can't.) I didn't say a thing except "follow me." I opened my 1500 pound Johnson safe and said do ANY of these look like what the ghetto rats in Chi buy? One replied " Christ man. You have a better collection than we do." Cabot's, UZI Model B's, S&W N frames, Pre WW2 1911's, Hi-Powers, CZ Custom Shop, Broomhandles. Not the 'plastic' things the punks favor.

Top Bottom