• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Like most chronology challenged ( old fart ) I wear bifocals. This makes seeing the front site tough. I got a idea so I bought a Blue Gun, E-bay $4-$5, and went to a eye Dr. I told him the plan BEFORE I took out the Blue Gun, didn't want a panic. What we did was I extended my arm, with Blue Gun, and he measured from my eye to the front site. He measured it, for me 25 inches.

Then instead of bifocals having the bifocal part at the bottom he put that on the upper 1/3 of the lens leaving the lower 2/3 for scope work or distance shooting.

Since I don't think GQ will be at the range, I got the UGLIEST/CHEAPEST frames they had. Work great. Now all I have to do is move my eye up or down a fraction and I have perfect vision both short and long range.

Any glasses shop should be able to do this. I used the one on 86th and Ditch area in the Kroger shopping center. Ossip or Eye Glass World? Don't remember but any could do it.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That actually is pretty solid advice.

I don't need bifocals, but I do wear glasses most of the time. Most of my frames have slimmer rectuangular lenses that work great for looking straight ahead, but I often find myself looking over the top of the lenses when shooting, especially rifles.

I never really considered getting a cheap pair just for shooting that have a wider lens to cover more angles.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Anyone that needs to borrow my blue gun all you have to is ask. I am in Carmel but can meet North, East or West. Back issues prevent me from driving South.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I did similar when getting my glasses last time, they are progressive, but had them tune the largest section of the lens for computer work since I spend 8+ hours a day on one, and my eyes were getting tired with just readers all day. I don't really use the other part of the "progressive" lenses much, but could if I wanted to.

For shooting, instead of going that route, I just got a pair of these with the "reader" at the top for looking down the sights https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018JI0ZCM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    For several years I take my old glasses when I get new frames and have a single vision lens put in my dominate side (Single vision) and leave the old lens in the non dominate side. Never needed a gun the DR. just held a reading card about 4-6 inchs past my hands in the shooting position. The prescription has always been close to my lower bifocal. Gives a sharp front sight and still can see to move through a course of fire and walk around.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Years ago I discovered that for shooting glasses about the best frame to use is the old style RayBan Aviators because they have a lot more lens above your eyeball so when you tilt your head down a little to get on the sights you still have a good field of view. I had a pair made with the correct lens for a sharp focus on the front sight on the top of the lens - and it made a world of difference. The popular fashion frames everyone offers today are too narrow and short but a number of companies make copies of the old RayBan frames. Taller is better. My problem not at age 65 is the focal length to the front sight keeps changing constantly. The weird part is my eyes are getting better as I age and need less correction for near vision.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Years ago I discovered that for shooting glasses about the best frame to use is the old style RayBan Aviators because they have a lot more lens above your eyeball so when you tilt your head down a little to get on the sights you still have a good field of view. I had a pair made with the correct lens on top and it made a world of difference. The popular fashion frames everyone offers today are too narrow and short but a number of companies make copies of the old RayBan frames. Taller is better.

I have a pair of Ray Ban prescription sunglasses. Not Aviators, but a lot of coverage.

They are great for daytime outdoor shooting. Much too dark for inside though.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I understand what you mean. I spent some years teaching on dark inside ranges and swore I would never go into one again once I quit. Indoor ranges suck.

Top Bottom