• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    A year ago or so I read a very good article on why square black on black sights are better. It was a good article on the physiology of sights. It explained how human eyes and brain worked in reference to our ability to align objects. It explained about our eyes ability to align blocks vs. the difficulty of aligning round balls.

There's so many new shooters of all ages around now that are getting these wonder pistols with all these sights with round balls that glow in the dark and these shooters are never learning to align sights and think shooting a mag as fast as they can at 3 yards makes a good shot.

I've been trying to explain why they need to start with good black on black square sights and learn how to shoot. Then they can go to the fancy dot sights for the faster shooting.

Plus me getting old and crusty I try to explain that it's the skill of the shooter not the tricks on the top of the pistol that allow rapid target shooting not a glowy ball on top of the pistol. And after you build your sight alignment and trigger control you can then choose sight aids that enhance your already built skill.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I suggest trying as many sight configurations as possible, finding what works best for you.
    The sights I shot when I was 20 aren't even visible to me now that I'm north of 60.
    One size doesn't got all.
    YMMV

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Any given type of sight set can be used to "build skill" with that type of sight set for a given style of shooting.

If you want to improve bullseye target shooting with tight groups, use square black on black.

If you want to improve fast paced close quarters defensive shooting or the shooting sports which simulate the same, use your choice of "dot" sights.

Will learning the proper use of bullseye sights and bullseye shooting as a prerequisite to other styles of shooting reduce the learning curve? Not necessarily.

After decades of bullseye shooting, it has taken me quite a while "unlearn" that discipline and gain the ability to perform controlled double taps and target transitions as well as covering the intended POI instead of using a six o'clock hold.

Top Bottom