Just wondering...If Perhaps the Church mouse and others are responsible for this

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So were out and about today clothes shopping for my son eating lunch out and then my wife says let stop in at the Highway Robbery Place, ( a local High End gun store) were are talking $400 for a Ruger LCP. They have an extensive be it over the top expensive selection of 1911's.

So they have a Wilson Combat Professional so I figure why not look at it. Holy Cow I can't describe how this thing felt in my hands! I have been saving up for one and the money is set aside. So my wife says ask what the asking price is, I am just going to say they would not even come down to MSRP. So no big deal but here is my question what does Wilson and other what I would consider top shelf Manufacturers do that makes you feel such a distinct difference between Rock Island or any mid priced Brand?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    A high end 1911 is a hand fit piece of art and not a mass produced roughly refined MIM filled production piece. Wilson uses all quality parts and they are hand fit and parts are polished to give you a unreal trigger.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I just did not think there would be that huge of a difference which would be noticeable by simply holding one.

That's part of the reason I have not purchased one yet because I didn't think I would see any appreciable difference between it and a mass produced 1911. I guess its like my wife's new car purchase going from a 2003 Honda Civic, great car I might add to her new SUV with heated and cooled seats, adaptive cruise and a 5 star safety rating. I told her once we do this most likely there will be no going back to no frills ride.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You can find like new Wilsons on Gunbroker, deals are out there.

It's hard to match the beauty and craftsmanship of a Wilson or similar. Put it next to a Ruger, Colt, Kimber. As nice as those brands are, you can see a big difference, and that's just on the outside

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am prone to "new car fever". You know, you're completely happy with your old car/truck and then one day you get to drive a brand new one? I'm better off not even getting in one because once I do, it's like a disease and I've got to cure it. I've been thinking about getting my private pilots license but have held off because (among several reasons) because of the cost. A friend of mine encouraged me to go take a test flight. Me being afraid of catching the fever, I declined. I'd imagine it would be the same with something like a new Wilson. Beautiful guns. I'm just better off avoiding the temptation and the possibility of catching the fever. :D

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Indiana Gun Club has a ton of Wilsons in stock, although I did not inquire into the price. They are a joy to behold, that is for sure. I love my Dan Wesson Silverback however, and not sure that I can tell *that* much difference. Notice I did not say "any difference", but it is so slight as to not be noticeable for me.

Now as soon as I pick up a 1911 in that $500-$1000 range, I can tell right away that there is a huge difference between those and my DW.

Gotta scratch that itch man! You know you want one!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So.....now you understand.
    I can in no way compare an RIA to even a mid range 1911. They are exactly what you pay for. Even their "Tactical" models......Ugh

A decent Springer Loaded is hands down better in every aspect. Then you look a a TRP and it is another leap north.
    Ask to fondle a Valor or other Dan Wesson piece. Holy crap how can it get any better.....but it does.

Then you experience the Wilson. Man oh man what a true joy.

But.....for the same money or less I can have a 1911/2011 built to my spec by AllenM. These pieces rival any Wilson I have fondled and I have fondled a few. In this I will never buy one of the high end offerings as I will just build one. With some very qualified help of course.

Knowing what you want is key before you lay down a chunk of change that large. Look around. Some LGS are just way to proud of the Wilson line.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Indiana Gun Club has a ton of Wilsons in stock, although I did not inquire into the price. They are a joy to behold, that is for sure. I love my Dan Wesson Silverback however, and not sure that I can tell *that* much difference. Notice I did not say "any difference", but it is so slight as to not be noticeable for me.

Now as soon as I pick up a 1911 in that $500-$1000 range, I can tell right away that there is a huge difference between those and my DW.

Gotta scratch that itch man! You know you want one!!!

It's the law of diminishing returns... that last 20% or less in quality/finish/feature set, etc, often cost 80% or even more to get. Often times its more like that last 2- 5% costs 100% more.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i'll leave this here.....

2d0ayiu.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well thank you ghitch......

This started out life as a Range officer. One of my favorite platforms to into modifying. It is one of 4 Springfield I built as a legacy series for my kids. When I am done (shooting or breathing) this will be my legacy in their hands. 2 loaded, 1 RO, and 1 commander. All 4 have been deeply modified up to new barrels.

This one is the daughters.....
    oqEMwiD.jpg

nSrCgSV.jpg

rdRGQpp.jpg

And yes it is a runner. Fit up as well as can be for a production slide/frame. Key is fondling before you buy. Get a good one before you start.
    I have well north of $1600 in this gun. No it is not a Wilson but it is from my hands.
    Notice the lack of billboard/rollmarks on the slide. SA only forged the pieces I kept. The rest was me. AllenM did the color and the show off machine work.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    So which would one would be the better of two choices, money aside; a Wilson or Springfield custom? I have a TRP and love it; just wanting to step it up......again!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So which would one would be the better of two choices, money aside; a Wilson or Springfield custom? I have a TRP and love it; just wanting to step it up......again!

If you get your spring up graded you will have an exceptional nice Springer. Unfortunately with out the brand name it will still just be an exceptionally nice Springer.

A Wilson will hold value towards total investment.

If you have no plans of flipping/selling then figure out what you really want and have one of our resident smiths make you up something nice.
    Or have a full on custom built for maybe less money than a Wilson depending on your personal desires. You will not be disappointed.

This gun was a NIB Springer RO. I never fired it before AllenM and I sat down and started out on this project.
    o6jyZt1.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you are going to spend the money on a Wilson Combat you should spend it wisely on a non jamming perfected perfection Glock . 2x the ammo and 1/100th the jams.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    If you are going to spend the money on a Wilson Combat you should spend it wisely on a non jamming perfected perfection Glock . 2x the ammo and 1/100th the jams.
    Never hit the broad side of the barn with one, or even a paper target. Course I never shot one either, no soul no Glock.

Sorry I don't know how to make it purple.

Top Bottom