• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Dick's says they will no longer sell "assault-style" rifles, nor any gun to anyone under 21.

I remember they stopped selling ARs after Sandy Hook, but apparently began selling them again in their Field & Stream stores.

Dick's Sporting Goods CEO on decision to no longer sell assault-style rifles: 'We don’t want to be a part of this story' - ABC News

Here is their four points from their open letter.
    In an open letter to consumers, Stack outlined the new four-point policy, which is as follows:

- Assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles, will no longer be sold. Stacks noted that the company had already removed them from all Dick's stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but they will now be removed from all 35 Field & Stream stores.

- Firearms will no longer be sold to anyone under the age of 21.

- High capacity magazines will no longer be sold.

- And finally, "We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Maybe Dick's should just focus on selling clothing, as that seems to be most of what they carry. I've never even bothered going to the firearms department in a Dick's.

Leave selling firearms to the stores that really want to sell firearms, and focus on foo-foo sports clothing, for those so inclined.

This just further saddens me about the way Dick's killed off Galyan's.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Not like i have ever shopped there, but added to the ever-growing list of places to NEVER shop at

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Maybe Dick's should just focus on selling clothing, as that seems to be most of what they carry. I've never even bothered going to the firearms department in a Dick's.

Leave selling firearms to the stores that really want to sell firearms, and focus on foo-foo sports clothing, for those so inclined.

This just further saddens me about the way Dick's killed off Galyan's.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^ The only time I ever go in a Dicks is...NEVER. I had no idea they "killed off" Galyans though?. I liked that place, at least the one in Westfield.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Refuse to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple and you get forced out of business but it is OK to refuse a sale to someone who is legal?

I will never buy anything from Dick's.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    This is great news in my opinion. The last thing we need are uneducated people selling guns and giving bad advice to new gun owners. I wouldn't trust information obtained at Dick's any more than I'd trust the guy from the paint department that's filling in behind the gun desk at Walmart.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Fitting image.

DXIMQ3oUQAAEPr1.jpg:small

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    It's worse than just what they aren't going to sell. Here's an excerpt from their press release. it can be found at Media Statements ? DICK'S Sporting Goods

They are calling for the enactment of everything the anti-gun crowd wants. I realize they carter more to the "soccer mom's" and have become more of a clothing retailer than a sporting goods store but still... It's their business and they can run it any way they want just as I'm free never to step into or buy anything from them again.

Beginning today, DICK’S Sporting Goods is committed to the following:

• We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK’S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.
    • We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.
    • We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.
    • We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly.
    At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:

• Ban assault-style firearms
    • Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21
    • Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks
    • Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law
    • Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms
    • Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks
    We hope others join us in this effort to let our kids know that their pleas are being taken seriously.
    Some will say these steps can’t guarantee tragedies like Parkland will never happen again. They may be correct – but if common sense reform is enacted and even one life is saved, it will have been worth it.
    We deeply believe that this country’s most precious gift is our children. They are our future. We must keep them safe.
    Sincerely,
    ed-sig.jpg

Edward W. Stack
    Chairman & CEO
    DICK’S Sporting Goods

Press Information

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    They are still in business? After shopping for soccer gear, and seeing their mediocre selection and outlandish prices, we haven't set foot in a store for quite a while.

They really should just get out of firearms altogether. They really don't carry much, and the prices are not competitive at all. But, this let's them "take a stand" while reducing inventory and cutting costs.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Dick's did this after a former shooting also. Sandy Hook. They pulled all ARs and held them until F&S stores opened and sold them there. Such strong ethics.

Will they also stop selling them at their Field and Stream stores they own???

Last edited:
    Top Bottom