• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I was at Tri-County range yesterday to put some rounds over a chrony. As I was signing in, I observed the sole occupant of the range at the 10 yrd shelter turning around with pistol still in hand with no regard to the muzzle direction (down range, toward the cars, at his own shoulder at one point, all over the place). I said something to the DNR employee and went to the 50 yard shelter. Mr. 10 started shooting again and seemed to be doing great. I had placed my gear in the shelter and stepped back a little bit to have a smoke and got "painted" 3 times. He was holding his gun in hand as he twisted and dug through his range bag for ammo, a magazine, or Lord knows what.

I asked Mr 10 to keep his muzzle pointed toward the berm loud enough for him to hear, but not in a demeaning tone. (Was it a jam, had he put in a fresh mag and not chambered yet, was he just too engrossed in his own thought to realize what was going on? Just put it down. It is not difficult. There are freaking benches so you don't have to get your precious dirty or scratched.) I guess the range worker heard me and came out and said something to the guy. All I heard was "I've been shooting for 30 years and don't need this. This is why I don't come here." Mr 10 then approached me and began yelling at me. Oh boy.....I deal with ranges for several military posts so this s where I almost lost it on him. I kept my cool and will not go into it further than needs to. He pointed out that I am not perfect. NEWS FLASH - NOBODY IS! I almost went in front of the firing line when it was live that same day to adjust my chrony. I am glad I caught myself. It made me double check on others to see if they wanted to walk in front of the line when I was taking a break, and turned into some good conversations.

Point: Take a second to think about what needs done and how to do it safely. If you are ever reminded of safety rules, correct yourself quickly and be thankful there wasn't an accident. Always pay attention to yourself and those around you. Be humble and honest with yourself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had these conversations with asshats myself. As I am anything but perfect please do not get up in my mugg for your idiocy. The "I want to choke you out" impulse lives very close to the surface.
    I have been called out for mistakes and my responses (depending on the call out) are apologetic and thank you for letting me know.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    This is why I wear a vest at Point Plank range. Any moron off the street can pay $3, watch a video for 4 minutes, and get turned loose on the range with a rental gun. I have had more than a few verbal 'issues' with idiots that swept me.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is why I don't do public ranges. The Fudd factor is high, he's been doing it wrong for 30 years, just nobody had the balls to tell him.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    In my business it's a daily occurrence......Many folks inherit firearms or have no experience with them...I don't know how many "unloaded" guns I have bought...The best one was one lady provided three instances of "They are not loaded"...A Mossberg 500, an SKS, and a Marlin Glenfield .22....I got five shotgun shells, eighteen .22 lr's, and twenty 7.62x39's....

I felt bad about the shotgun shell...She said, "They are not loaded". I took the pump from her hand I racked it back....A 12 gauge shell hit her right between those little mountains us menfolk love.....

"Whoops".....

The next four hit the floor.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    many years ago Kingsbury rangs was to open NO range officer.
    I was as was many shooting one day 50 yard range. The line stopped shooting.
    We agreed yo change targets. The guy next to me was quick to change or did not need to change.
    he started to shoot at the target next to me.
    I just packed up and left.
    Winnimac range was very loose until resent.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    This is not as bad as the bafoons twirling their cylinder while people were downrange checking targets at a Pennsylvania public range I used to frequent. That was fun. There was a father there teaching his kid with a 22 handgun that went full epithet tirade them. Nobody did anything else until they left. The ranges there operate under the rule that the first person there is the Range Master until they leave and appoint someone else. There is no full time staff at any of them.

When I was done yesterday, the DNR guy showed me holes in the shelter roofs from people doing the same as Mr 10. I make mistakes too, even after 25 years. I know a shop owner, practically born with a gun in his hand, that shot out his shop window due to complacency. A school friend's dad put a slug through their wall. Another more recent acquaintance lost a son due to complacency making a YouTube video a few years ago. We all know the rules, sometimes we just go auto pilot and it glitches.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did he tell you how he was a Marine is 'nam and how many guns he's bought and sold over 30-40 years? :dunno:

But seriously, good job at keeping cool. Asshats gonna be asshats. Some people can take correction and guidance and be better, others choice to fight and be worse for it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While you were downrange? F orget than noise! That is someone that needs edjumacating! I would have really lost my self control on that one.

I will refrain from stating exactly what my reactions would be as that has already been tested in the past.
    Decorum and all you know.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Worst range experience I've ever had was when a guy sent a 5.45 round into the gravel just in front of the firing line in front of me. From his "unloaded" gun.

He got an earful, I packed up my stuff and went home.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    SWFA's shop in Midlothian, Tx has a mason jar full of ammunition from "unloaded" trade in firearms. It was actually pretty impactful. I'm becoming more and more a fan of chamber flags. I try to buy one from every range and most of my firearms have them in them when stored or when traveling. It gives me a warm fuzzy at the range when I see someone else open a case to a firearm with a flag already installed.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    "Practice Makes Perfect" - is completely WRONG!
    You can practice all your life but if you're practicing it wrong, then you'll never get it right.

"PERFECT Practice Makes Perfect" :rockwoot:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I absolutely hate going to public ranges. I have had so many things like this happen. Doesn't mater at an indoor range (debs in hammond) or an outdoor (the slugh and JP) there's just to many ass hats out there. I like how point blank is set up though. But I also hate shooting in doors.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    While you were downrange? F orget than noise! That is someone that needs edjumacating! I would have really lost my self control on that one.

I did. He quipped back, I know where I was shooting.
    With him handling a firearm and that attitude.
    I figured it was safer to just leave.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lol, you have people on INGO who think it is OK to point guns at people.

How many re-hashes of "eet ain' low-dead" need we go through.

A segment (not sure how large) cannot be educated. They need to be expelled.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Spike, I would have waited until I was in striking range to do anything other than yell cease fire. At minimum some type of law enforcement would be called and reckless endangerment pursued. An idiot like that will do it again.

Deadeye, it is my dream to have a home range. You sir are blessed.

Top Bottom