• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pohaku

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    In the middle
    Hello my friends father recently passed away and he owned a firearm. What are the state laws/procedures in the transfer of this firearm to a spouse, family member or other?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There are none. If the person taking possession is not a prohibited person nothing needs to be done. You can legally meet a complete stranger in a Walmart parking lot and sell them a firearms with no records, receipts or reporting required. In this regard it's no different than a toaster.

The only exception is if the firearms is a registered NFA item like a machine gun, short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, suppressor or destructive device.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If transferring to an out of state resident, find an FFL in the transferee's state who will accept the firearms and transfer them to the new owner.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In practical terms, it would also make a difference how old the gun is.
    If it was originally purchased before records started being kept, there's no way big brother would know if it went over a state line.

For example, my late father had a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun he'd had since the 1940's-50's when he died.
    YES he was an Indiana resident and so am I.

I would be shocked if today they even knew my dad was the original purchaser or even where he was from, as when he got these the law didn't care about stuff like that.
    Anybody could just walk into a store, pay the cash and buy a firearm in those days

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    In practical terms, it would also make a difference how old the gun is.
    If it was originally purchased before records started being kept, there's no way big brother would know if it went over a state line.

For example, my late father had a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun he'd had since the 1940's-50's when he died.
    YES he was an Indiana resident and so am I.

I would be shocked if today they even knew my dad was the original purchaser or even where he was from, as when he got these the law didn't care about stuff like that.
    Anybody could just walk into a store, pay the cash and buy a firearm in those days

I still own a rifle that I bought by mail order from a company in Chicago when I was 12 in 1963. With my paper route money. My mother provided the stamp for the envelope. I don't remember where I saw the ad but I remember it was a full page ad with many Mil-Surp rifles and pistols.

We were citizens that did not have ask for permission back then. But this isn't 1963. That's for darn sure...

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I still own a rifle that I bought by mail order from a company in Chicago when I was 12 in 1963. With my paper route money. My mother provided the stamp for the envelope. I don't remember where I saw the ad but I remember it was a full page ad with many Mil-Surp rifles and pistols.

We were citizens that did not have ask for permission back then. But this isn't 1963. That's for darn sure...

Yeah, I remember all the ads in the back pages of many magazines like Popular Mechanics, Popular Science and even some comic books. Many surplus rifles were in the $6.95 + $1.79 shipping or similar prices! No age requirements, no resident requirements, the only requirement was that you had the $9.00!

However money was not so easy to get in the 40's and 50's, and the average pay was well under a $1 an hour. But you did keep most of your earnings. I remember my first job in a factory I started the day I graduated high school in 1959. I made about $85 a week, take home was over $82.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Here is a question.
    Lived in Illinois had a Illinois firearm permit.
    Owned several weapons.
    Moved into Indiana.
    Sold one of the handguns to an Illinois permit carrier.
    Legal or illegal?
    an Old handgun that was registered into Chicago records back in mid 60s.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Here is a question.
    Lived in Illinois had a Illinois firearm permit.
    Owned several weapons.
    Moved into Indiana.
    Sold one of the handguns to an Illinois permit carrier.
    Legal or illegal?
    an Old handgun that was registered into Chicago records back in mid 60s.

Whether you've just admitted to a felony on line or not depends on whether the sale was before or after the move.
    Or hopefully, transferred the gun through an FFL.

DOH!. . . .

Top Bottom