• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Going to look at a gun safe tomorrow after work.
    It is a:
    Sentinel safe, rated for 30 minutes of fire protection.
    19" W x 55" H x 20-1/4" D for $300

Any input?
    Priced right?

I want to put all my handguns in and as much ammo as possible.
    Is it OK to keep it in an unheated/unairconditioned garage?
    It doesn't get below 45* that I noticed in the winter when it was cold.
    The garage is insulated including ceiling and door.
    I don't think the coolness would matter as much, but more concerned about in the summer and the heat.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Going to look at a gun safe tomorrow after work.
    It is a:
    Sentinel safe, rated for 30 minutes of fire protection.
    19" W x 55" H x 20-1/4" D for $300

Any input?
    Priced right?

I want to put all my handguns in and as much ammo as possible.
    Is it OK to keep it in an unheated/unairconditioned garage?
    It doesn't get below 45* that I noticed in the winter when it was cold.
    The garage is insulated including ceiling and door.
    I don't think the coolness would matter as much, but more concerned about in the summer and the heat.

Menards had those on sale for 250 a couple times a long with a rebate

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't UL tested and rated, but that's me.

I have had many interesting discussions on here about this. It all boils down to, "Do you want to BE safe or do you want to FEEL safe?"

Don't put loaded firearms in a safe. The heat could ignite a round in the chamber and the resulting ammo discharge could penetrate the safe from the inside out, then all the protection is breached.

Don't put anything plastic in the safe. It could melt and gooeyfi the contents.

Good luck,

Doug

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Humidity is the issue. Invest in dehumidification rather it’s desiccant or an electric dehumidifier.

Most safes are just heavy storage cabinets so unless you are going to spend lots (which you won’t. Ha ha ha ha!) they are all pretty similar. Lots of threads and YouTube info about safes.

Buy as big as you can afford. If you don’t have a sale now, you will find all kinds of things to
    put in it and will get small fast.

I ready for another and am looking at an “84” gun 72” tall one at rural king for $800. It’s nothing special but it’ll be for ammo, parts, etc.

Ban the fools, not the tools I say. wtburnette

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Humidity is the issue. Invest in dehumidification rather it’s desiccant or an electric dehumidifier.
    Most safes are just heavy storage cabinets so unless you are going to spend lots (which you won’t. Ha ha ha ha!) they are all pretty similar. Lots of threads and YouTube info about safes.
    Buy as big as you can afford. If you don’t have a sale now, you will find all kinds of things to
    put in it and will get small fast.
    I ready for another and am looking at an “84” gun 72” tall one at rural king for $800. It’s nothing special but it’ll be for ammo, parts, etc.
    Ban the fools, not the tools I say. wtburnette

1. I have read and have been advised that it is all about the humidity.
    2. Are you saying if it is in the garage, the safe needs heated since it is only 45* in the garage? I didn't think the issue was cold, but heat (b/c of humidity).
    3. If it needs a heater, heat to what degress if the 40s is not enough?
    4. And, I get the need for a dehumidifier with temps changing to get condensation.

5. But, if the same is in my bedroom where temps will be steady is there any neef for either one?
    6. I have a friend who has a "big expensive" safe with pistols, rifles, ammo, silver and gold in it, and he has never done any thing like that in the past 20 yrs. and not had an issue, and never said anything about a problem. (He's even got some handguns I sold him back in 1900 before he moved, that I wish I would have kept: 2 of which turned out to be worth many times what I had paid for it, and I sold it to him for what I had in it :dunno:)
    7. My purpose in having a safe is not to keep a professional out, but only kids breaking in for drug money.
    It would cost as much for a "real" safe as I have in all my guns, therefore just trying to get a "deterrent,"
    but even I didn't think the Cabelas $180 "cabinets" they called safes were not even a deterrent with someone with a good screwdriver and especially a nice crowbar.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I definitely would not store ammo in ANY safe. There is no need and it can be dangerous. If the ammo is heated to the degree necessary for it to ignite the primer or powder, it could build up enough pressure to explode the safe! All the storage recommendations I have seen require that the container be one that will allow pressure release. IE: a wooden box with a hinged lid free to open. I think the military ammo boxes will allow the lid to blow off prior to making a pipe bomb!

Burning ammo is not very dangerous when not restrained, if it is restrained (like in a firearm) it becomes quite dangerous. Therefore the warning to not store loaded firearms, as when heated they will fire with as much or more energy than when fired with the trigger. I do store most of mine in 50 cal ammo cans in dry living areas of my home. In these conditions ammo can be stored for many years without degrading. I still shoot ammo from the first and second WW, and have chrono'd the velocity - the ammo matches the original spec.!

If lacking storage space or concerned with theft, it can be safely stored under a bed, in the corner of a closet etc. in ammo boxes, either mil surplus or the newer plastic boxes.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Just be patient and pick one up at the Dick's "Going out of business" sale.

Honestly though, I've seen people get crucified on here because the safe they're looking at isn't rated for 15,000,000 degrees Celsius/doesn't have retina-fingerprint scanners/doesn't have 9' thick walls, then you're wasting your money. Personally, I believe that something is better than nothing and unless Danny Ocean recruits a gang to come take your stuff, you'll be fine.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Doesn't make a lot of difference if your safe is the most expensive money can buy, if you advertise it to the world every time you open the garage door.

Making yourself a target is just that. If you seem like a wealthy target, a gun to you or your families head will open any safe instantly.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The one you are referencing isn’t any better than the “cabinets” you spoke of save the fire rating. But 30 minutes at 1200* is the very minimum rating for fire protection. Average house/room fires are 20 minutes at 1100*, hence the 30 minute rating. Save some more buy a better cabinet.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spend more and get a better safe.

That safe could probably get broken into in 15 seconds

1. Confusing. :popcorn: Your remarks certainly give me great pause since you have no dog in the fight and the number of post you have would dictate you know things. :)
    2. I don't understand it, and since I really just wanted to deter the casual "grab and run" type of burglary, I thought it would suffice.
    3. The reason I have never had a security system (they come by the house to sell) is that I have nothing of value: used everything, but after getting some guns, and ammo I thought I should.
    4. How much $$ do I have to spend to get a decent safe? (the Toyota Corolla version not the Cadillac version) :dunno:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    r

...4. How much $$ do I have to spend to get a decent safe? (the Toyota Corolla version not the Cadillac version) :dunno:

$2000+, but reread the following quote.

...Honestly though, I've seen people get crucified on here because the safe they're looking at isn't rated for 15,000,000 degrees Celsius/doesn't have retina-fingerprint scanners/doesn't have 9' thick walls, then you're wasting your money. Personally, I believe that something is better than nothing and unless Danny Ocean recruits a gang to come take your stuff, you'll be fine.

As has been stated, bolt it down securely or it is just a convenient box ready for a couple of guys to cart off. I would also recommend it be in the house instead of the garage for the humidity and visibility reasons previously stated.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1. Confusing. :popcorn: Your remarks certainly give me great pause since you have no dog in the fight and the number of post you have would dictate you know things. :)
    2. I don't understand it, and since I really just wanted to deter the casual "grab and run" type of burglary, I thought it would suffice.
    3. The reason I have never had a security system (they come by the house to sell) is that I have nothing of value: used everything, but after getting some guns, and ammo I thought I should.
    4. How much $$ do I have to spend to get a decent safe? (the Toyota Corolla version not the Cadillac version) :dunno:

Nothing is perfectly safe, and nothing is completely useless. It's a sliding scale, the better the safe and the better the layers of security, the less likely you are to lose guns. Yes, a cheap safe can be busted in to fairly quickly, especially if it's not bolted down...assuming your thieves come with the proper tools (or you conveniently leave them out for them in your garage). A decent safe and an alarm system that will reduce the time they have with the safe is better than a really nice safe they have all day with, and a really nice safe AND an alarm AND proper mounting is even better.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/how-to-prevent-gun-theft/

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Check your insurance coverage. Mine doesn't cover firearms unless they are collector items which are individually listed on the policy. In my case, my safe IS the insurance policy.

Only the owner can determine their risks. A 30 minute cheepo safe might be enough. I know a guy with all his guns cable locked to a steel frame in his closet. He said "I'm okay losing them to a fire, but I'll be damned if I lose them to a thief".

OP, before you buy a Sentry brand, check Harbor Freight. They've got some okay entry level safes.

Top Bottom