• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    so last Saturday, I'm workin in the gun shop, when two ladies come in, one had some (very little, air force training), and the other had NO knowledge of hand guns, so me being me, I start helping them, and they were great customers, listened, paid attention, asked questions, and I was doing a great job, and let me tell you, I worked that hour and a half that they were there!, I pulled at least 8 guns from the case, ruger lc9, smith shield, shield 2.0,shield 9 pc, glock 43, sig p320 sub compact (turns out the lady with zero experience was a southpaw), explained how they worked, showed them how to strip them. and they're soaking up the knowledge like a sponge!

then "HE" decided to help.:chuck: :mallninja:...oh no, when the sheriff trained me he said "don't shoot anybody more that 25 feet away", and you "hold a gun like this" and then told her (the lefty) you'll never shoot right "unless you shoot right handed", I asked what department were you on, cause tubby mclarda*s couldn't wear a gun belt, let alone pass any physical course, and his reply was "it was a class he made people take when they wanted a "carry license". yes my eyes rolled again just now as I'm typing this!:rolleyes:

so I keep helping the ladies, and "the reincarnation of Elmer Keith" leaves, and about a 1/2 hour later "the bruce lee of gun fighting" comes back and asks if I have any ammo for this, and pulls out a walther ppks in 7.65, I hand him a box of 32 acp and guess what.....yep the guy who 30 minuets before was a gun expert suddenly didn't know s**t!, said "it says 7.65" and I have to explain that the Europeans say 7.65 not 32 acp.:wallbash:

"I don't need your help!":xmad:

:ranton:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    so last Saturday, I'm workin in the gun shop, when two ladies come in, one had some (very little, air force training), and the other had NO knowledge of hand guns, so me being me, I start helping them, and they were great customers, listened, paid attention, asked questions, and I was doing a great job, and let me tell you, I worked that hour and a half that they were there!, I pulled at least 8 guns from the case, ruger lc9, smith shield, shield 2.0,shield 9 pc, glock 43, sig p320 sub compact (turns out the lady with zero experience was a southpaw), explained how they worked, showed them how to strip them. and they're soaking up the knowledge like a sponge!

then "HE" decided to help.:chuck: :mallninja:...oh no, when the sheriff trained me he said "don't shoot anybody more that 25 feet away", and you "hold a gun like this" and then told her (the lefty) you'll never shoot right "unless you shoot right handed", I asked what department were you on, cause tubby mclarda*s couldn't wear a gun belt, let alone pass any physical course, and his reply was "it was a class he made people take when they wanted a "carry license". yes my eyes rolled again just now as I'm typing this!:rolleyes:

so I keep helping the ladies, and "the reincarnation of Elmer Keith" leaves, and about a 1/2 hour later "the bruce lee of gun fighting" comes back and asks if I have any ammo for this, and pulls out a walther ppks in 7.65, I hand him a box of 32 acp and guess what.....yep the guy who 30 minuets before was a gun expert suddenly didn't know s**t!, said "it says 7.65" and I have to explain that the Europeans say 7.65 not 32 acp.:wallbash:

"I don't need your help!":xmad:

:ranton:
    Unfortunately, a lot of them are even dumber than that!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just be glad he didn't have a 9x17/18/19/20/21...Makarof-Luger-Cort gun

2 years ago I has a real d*p s**t come in with a box of speer .22 55 grain full metal jacketed bullets, he was trying to return them cause they wouldn't fit in his Taurus pt22....he then tried to show me by putting one in the chamber.....lord why have you forsaken me?.....I asked why did you buy those? those wont work, they're for reloading, he said "I bought them here!' I asked for the receipt, and "thug mcnasty" replied "I threw it away" (ie. I stole them when you weren't looking). I then said ok I cant give you cash back, but I can give you store credit if all the bullets are there....he replied "MAN SOME ARE AT HOME ON THE FLOOR" (yes he yelled at me), I said if you find them, and bring them back, i'll give you store credit on something else....as he walked out he threw the box on the floor, spewing bullets all over....I picked them up, counted out how many were missing, and marked the box down and sold them.

sometimes I'm reminded of the old Saturday night live skit with the two guys working retail, and one would say to the other "this would be a great job if it wasn't for all the customers!"

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    a few of ingo's finest know me, I don't work at the gun shop cause I have too, I do it cause I like guns, I want to make sure people get the best item for them, gun, holster, ammo! and god knows I don't do it for the money, ive told everyone who asks, its not a money making job!.....I do it because I have a passion for guns!....but sometimes........some of the customers want to make me shoot either myself, or them.....and sometimes both!

I don't work at a shop because I'm handsome or i've got a great personality(or the money!)......I work there because I know what I'm doing!

and I'm a nice guy...I really am!.....but sometimes....I just want to say the person trying to help me....."I got this!"

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You tend to run into these dumb a$$ know-it-all types a whole lot more often than you care to...

[video=youtube;KbMfhJM1_sc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMfhJM1_sc[/video]

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I could never work a gun counter. Not unless Indiana's self defense laws are modified to allow use of deadly force against ignorance and derp.

We'd need a corpse chute and an incinerator in the basement.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Great examples on why my daughter changed from MD to PhD. She told me she couldn't deal with all the stupid people.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    And to think that we complain about the antigunners that don't know :poop: when we have this on our side...:rolleyes:

It'd be our luck that Goober will someday be interviewed on TV, about guns.:crying:

Regards,

Doug

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't believe I have ever "butted in" on a conversation between a Gun shop clerk /owner and a customer. However I have wanted too a few times because the clerk absolutely didn't know what he was talking about! It's easy to understand a customer being ignorant of firearms or their operation, but a clerk that professes to know everything is worse. I have seen several conversations where the clerk did state they didn't know something (and usually said they would find out) and that's the way it should be!

Too many times, however I have seen clerks profess that "only this caliber is good for self defense" or this is the gun you really need (even though it was either way too big for the person or to large to conceal). I have seen clerks cut down reputable firearms they didn't have in stock, or try to convince a customer to buy a semi-auto when they specifically asked for a revolver, or why they really "needed" 17 shots instead of 7 or 8.

To me a gun shop clerk should be accurate and truthful when talking to a customer. They should offer them the options they ask for, if they have opinions they should state "this is my opinion, everyone doesn't always agree, but this is why I like this etc.". They should admit when they don't know something.

When I go to a shop I don't need advice, I have been a gun owner for over 60 years, hunted and shot target a lot when I was young, and have collected firearms for probably 40 years. I have calibers from 22's to 50 BMG. I just want to get prices, inspect a firearm I am interested in and if I have need of any information, I will ask. When a clerk try's to give me advice, I do tell them the above. Some don't listen so I leave!

I like going to a shop with clerks that know little (and admit it) about the firearms they sell!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I used to help an FFL dealer who set up at the gun shows. Always took my gun tool box along. We would get questions from customers how to disassemble/assemble or work on a particular firearm. Top two issues we helped people with;

1. Putting SKS's back together

2. Putting Ruger Mk IIs back together

Also worked on various AR's, WASR's and shotguns. We would get a few village idiot "experts" who knew everything, yet their guns would not function. I would just smile, ignore their blabbering, and fix their gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Was at LGS and a MK2 came in last week. Pop, flip and snap, back in action.
    Missed the strut he did.
    At a loss for how to fix.
    Must not have computer or owners manual.
    I've lost count on how many I've done like that.......ridiculous number.

Another is gas rings wrong/missing on 1100's. Yeeesh.
    Some still had the sticker on the mag tube too.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Out and about or at work, I get asked a lot about various rigs.
    Got no problem saying "I don't know".
    A few folks asked me why I didn't know much about their item in question.
    My response rather blunt............why should I? That's not what I shoot?

Pretty detailed on the stuff I run. I don't give a flip about that other stuff.

Remember years ago at Tipton show, table next to my dad's had old beater cheap military stuff.
    Some grubby old weirdo comes to that table and recites a bazillion "facts" on the junk.
    Dunno if he was right or not..........but lets say he was.

Who devotes that much time and brain space to junk?

Today's version would be the "Taurus Expert".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I especially like it when experts tell me that I didn't have something I did.

"but it's not in the catalog"

Like everything a manufacturer makes gets in a catalog.

One dipstick said my 3 screw SBH was a special version, worth a ton of money and I sold a rare collectible.
    Told him it was an 80 prefix reg model.
    He swore I was wrong and screwed up.

I had a pic of it on my PC and it was just like I said it was. Nothing special.

Funny how they never apologize for their being an ass.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom