• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In the Classifieds I have an ad to sell my Ruger SR 1911 Gov't. model, SS, 5" barrel, with 5 mags with it (2 are 10 round).
    I bought it about a month ago to "play" with and since I've bought 5 guns in the past week unexpectedly (we won't talk about the 4 in the previous month).
    I sold my Shield .45 sooner than planned, and am selling this one sooner than I thought b/c of the money "flow." (or lack thereof b/c of so many unexpected purchases in my beloved 22LR addiction. (buying 1 gun I've wanted since last May that became available for an equitable price).

I put the ad in for $675 with the mags and a box of PMC ammo (ammo for inducement to separate from other 1911s selling).
    This will allow me to recover my $654 invested.

I usually sell my $300ish guns in a few hours, a day max: I'm spoiled.
    I was told it takes more time to sell a more expensive item: learning that lesson now and not unexpected. :coffee:

I thought the 5 mags would separate the Ruger from the pack (2 mags are 10 round and I was told at Hoosier Armory that they were all S/W mags.

2 days and not a nibble.

Options:
    * just wait with the package listed: ammo included b/c it takes a month for a $675 gun and accessories to sell
    * put another box of ammo with it, and take a little loss, or even put 3 boxes of ammo in total, and take more of a loss b/c people will be attracted to the "bait" of ammo (works for me when I'm buying) :laugh:
    * take out the ammo from the ad and advertise gun w/5 mags for $650
    * advertise gun with only 2 mags and no ammo for $600, and then sell the 3 mags for $50 separately (mags retail online for $40: should I be asking more $$ for them?

Note: if I do the above with only 2 mags with the gun, do I include 1 of the 10 round mags with the gun, or keep both 10 round mags out to sell separately?

I'm out of my comfort zone, but not worried since it is a Ruger with a great reputation (that's why I bought the gun), and I know the price is competitive with the mags included. (can be bought new at Hoosier Armory out-the-door for a little more than $800, but not with 5 mags :)).
    Really interested in knowing if the price of the gun being lower is primary attraction or the "package" is (and therefore leave the ad alone).
    When I buy, it is not just the price but the accessory package of what comes with it. I have bought guns simply b/c of the ammo that came with it was a no-brainer.
    I don't even care for extra mags but I notice when others sell, it seems to be paramount in other's minds.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Usually the best course is to sell it as it would come from the factory, minus extra's. Then list the extra mags, etc in a separate thread for sale. Ammo included is nice but if people are getting SR1911's for $500-600 used often enough it's hard to grab yours at $675. Just my opinion of course. Edit: A new SR1911 at my LGS is selling for $550 on sale right now, the tactical version is $575 new.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Usually the best course is to sell it as it would come from the factory, minus extra's. Then list the extra mags, etc in a separate thread for sale. Ammo included is nice but if people are getting SR1911's for $500-600 used often enough it's hard to grab yours at $675. Just my opinion of course.

Nope. Not gonna sell at that price when the market is rife with $500/$600 offerings.
    You will not recoup the investment. If you do let us know and we will change how we do this.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Usually the best course is to sell it as it would come from the factory, minus extra's. Then list the extra mags, etc in a separate thread for sale. Ammo included is nice but if people are getting SR1911's for $500-600 used often enough it's hard to grab yours at $675. Just my opinion of course. Edit: A new SR1911 at my LGS is selling for $550 on sale right now, the tactical version is $575 new.

1. Good to know.
    2. I never saw new ones selling for under $600: not the Gov't. SS 5" barrel ones: WOW!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Guns aren’t a day trading thing, stocks are. You’re asking nearly $100 more than the going rate $5-550 of that particular pistol.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    1. More expensive guns are harder to sell, especially priced close to new.
    2. Sell the pistol with 2 Ruger mags if you have them. They will have the Ruger logo, how do I know, I've had one of those when they first came out.
    3. Keep the ammo for your other .45's, or if you no longer own a .45, keep it to shoot out of someone else's .45 should you meet up with someone.
    4. Sell the others mags after doing a google search and finding the cheapest price available.
    5. Keep in mind that those of us that read the forum usually know the cheapest prices on guns, ammo, and accessories
    6. You remember how I "accused" you of a Fossil mind set? I have that same mind set and can remember things, such as two or three years ago you could get a Sig Tac Op's 1911 with extra's on a Black Friday sale for $699. So now when I see them for $800 and $900 I don't even look at them.
    The same could hold true for your mags. You will have to find the cheapest ones, then undercut that to get them sold.

7. Even if you take a small loss, consider it the "price to play", any of us in the hobby long enough have taken losses, just consider all the times you came out ahead and it does offset itself.

Just my :twocents:.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), just saving you time in case you don't know what that means.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Take out the ammo and extra mags as said previously. Find out who made the ten rounders and list separately.

My guess is they are pro mag or chip mcormick.

The pro mags will sit forever. They are junk imo. The chips, however will sell for the right price.

And yes, the more it costs, New or used, the longer it takes to sell. Wives can be made to overlook a 300$ purchase. $650 and they tend to start with the stink eye pretty quickly lol.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Pretty easy to find examples that sold for $500+/- $20 on gunbroker. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/726987086

Occasionally you'll get sales that drive new ones under what you're asking.

The 10mm and 9mm are the new hotness for Ruger 1911s. You've got a model that's been out for quite awhile, so there's less demand as the gun of the month club has already moved on. Same as Legion Sigs used to be snapped up here as soon as they hit, but now they languish.

I'd at least separate out the 10 rounders. Lots of people have no use for those.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Guns aren’t a day trading thing, stocks are. You’re asking nearly $100 more than the going rate $5-550 of that particular pistol.

Now take this as it is meant and not a knock but I really believe our boy is pretty tight with his nickels and dimes.
    I have so many times stated that about any expensive hobby we get deeply into will ever net us a straight return on what we have invested.
    If you like flipping $300 guns then stick with them. It is just easier to flip.

Once you walk out the door with "ANY" item it is then "USED" and no longer new. If you load a mag it is used heck if you own it it is used.
    Most of the members here are fully aware of the going rate on about anything these days. Extras often do not enhance something all that much. They should but well.....:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty easy to find examples that sold for $500+/- $20 on gunbroker. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/726987086

Occasionally you'll get sales that drive new ones under what you're asking.

The 10mm and 9mm are the new hotness for Ruger 1911s. You've got a model that's been out for quite awhile, so there's less demand as the gun of the month club has already moved on. Same as Legion Sigs used to be snapped up here as soon as they hit, but now they languish.

I'd at least separate out the 10 rounders. Lots of people have no use for those.

I run the 10's.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Take out the ammo and extra mags as said previously. Find out who made the ten rounders and list separately.

My guess is they are pro mag or chip mcormick.

The pro mags will sit forever. They are junk imo. The chips, however will sell for the right price.

And yes, the more it costs, New or used, the longer it takes to sell. Wives can be made to overlook a 300$ purchase. $650 and they tend to start with the stink eye pretty quickly lol.

Then a new wife is needed. :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I didn't see any $500ish guns like this for sale: my ignorance in not knowing where to look (I don't buy online and pay shipping pay FFL fees).
    2. You seeing these prices at LGS means I need to go to different guns stores to do my looking.
    3. I feel rather stupid. :ugh: This is what I get in buying out of my comfort zone in a caliber/style I was totally inexperienced with. :wallbash:
    4. Never again: I'm not a risk-taker: lesson learned.
    5. I wish someone would have given me a heads up that the $500 one at Marksman that I missed out on was just "normal," (when I thought it was sensational) and warned me that paying $600 - $700 would be above the norm.
    6. I shall change the ad.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Using an old gunstore “rule” about pricing used guns, yours in very good shape should be priced at about $5-521 which is approximately 80% of a low volume dealer’s cost for a brand new one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. More expensive guns are harder to sell, especially priced close to new.
    2. Sell the pistol with 2 Ruger mags if you have them. They will have the Ruger logo, how do I know, I've had one of those when they first came out.
    3. Keep the ammo for your other .45's, or if you no longer own a .45, keep it to shoot out of someone else's .45 should you meet up with someone.
    4. Sell the others mags after doing a google search and finding the cheapest price available.
    5. Keep in mind that those of us that read the forum usually know the cheapest prices on guns, ammo, and accessories
    6. You remember how I "accused" you of a Fossil mind set? I have that same mind set and can remember things, such as two or three years ago you could get a Sig Tac Op's 1911 with extra's on a Black Friday sale for $699. So now when I see them for $800 and $900 I don't even look at them.
    The same could hold true for your mags. You will have to find the cheapest ones, then undercut that to get them sold.

7. Even if you take a small loss, consider it the "price to play", any of us in the hobby long enough have taken losses, just consider all the times you came out ahead and it does offset itself.

Just my :twocents:.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), just saving you time in case you don't know what that means.

A. I appreciate your input, and have no problem with your well-said, "price to play."
    B. Lesson learned. I should have stopped when gmcttr let me shoot his Ruger 1911 and Dan Wesson 1911s and I knew I didn't need one to be happy, but the "hunt" already had me in it's addictive clutches.
    C. Thanks again!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Using an old gunstore “rule” about pricing used guns, yours in very good shape should be priced at about $5-521 which is approximately 80% of a low volume dealer’s cost for a brand new one.

1. For $500, I will probably keep it.
    2. I will not sell for less than $600 unless forced to b/c I do another buying run like the last few weeks. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I previously had edited it taking out the ammo and reducing price to $645 after reading the only response there was.

When I had time and checked it again there was the real authentic reality-check.
    I just went back for the 2nd time and edited it again reducing the price to $600: no ammo (previously done), but left the mags in for now.
    I don't care to mess with them (I'm not as poor as I let on :laugh:), I just don't do anything w/o the proper "value," of which, I have lost this round, but what I lose will eat up the profits maybe 2 other gun sales.
    Apparently I'll lose $54 selling at $600, which is an acceptable loss to learn a lesson.
    If I have to lose $154 by selling at $500 that would be too difficult to take and would just keep the gun, pout for awhile, before I would deal with that.
    In my ignorance, I think that will not happen, but we will see if I have to sell for less than $600, or throw in a box or two of ammo to make it work.
    After work (can't access Armslist) at home this evening I'll change that ad as well.

I really want to thank everyone for their input: I do need to sell this now for reasons stated, and I needed a reality check. :)

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I overpaid for a 1911 when I was young(er) and dumb(er) because the guy I worked with and bought it from said it was "custom" ...which it technically was. Just not high-end custom. Which is what I thought it was.

$700 for a gun that if I wanted to sell now would likely go for $400 or so. I do want to sell it and upgrade to something better, but I can't stomach the ~$300 loss, so it sits in the safe and goes to the range every now and then. It is what it is at this point.

And besides, the wife doesn't know a good 1911 from a bad 1911, and when she goes to the range with me she like "the big one" (:naughty:) so I'll keep it for her enjoyment.

Top Bottom