• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Suppose it is "common knowledge" (say among cleaning folks, or construction workers, or neighbors) that homeowners in a particular household have guns or a gunsafe. Does anyone (especially LEO) have data suggesting that the household is more/less likely to be burglarized? Or occupants robbed at gunpoint and asked to open the gunsafe? Or targeted while house is unoccupied?

In favor of "more": stealing the guns
    In favor of "less": could be shot
    In favor of "no change": combination of more and less

Perhaps it is hard to assess, since there are no two homes alike, differing only in the presence of the gunsafe.

Maybe this is similar to the question often asked that if you open-carry, are you more/less likely to be robbed than if you conceal-carry.

If this issue has been asked/answered before, sorry, please direct me to the link. Thanks!

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Detective Blue is an awesome cop. I hope he makes it to a leadership position so he can encourage others to be that inventive and proactive. Edit: I've never been good at math so it takes me time to add one and one... BBI did you write this?

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    My personal opinion is if or when the thief is caught that the sentence for their crime be utilized and not a slap on the wrist. To many crimes in the USA do not have sufficient deterrent to commit the crime.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    A police officer once told me to not let on to casual acquaintances, workmen, neighbors, etc. that I own firearms. He says they mention to others who could turn out to be thieves.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    The less that know the better. I even stash my firearm literature that I may have laying about. It's not unlike people that have the "PROTECTED BY S&W" bumper stickers. If there are 2 cars side by side guess who looses a window?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    A police officer once told me to not let on to casual acquaintances, workmen, neighbors, etc. that I own firearms. He says they mention to others who could turn out to be thieves.

Dunno if I've ever seen real statistics to back it up, but I always got the impression that burglars prefer to go after targets they know will have something valuable. Word percolates between friends of friends that xyz small, easily resold objects are in a house.

I don't think possession of firearms is necessarily a deterrence. It just tells the burglar to do more due diligence in making sure the house is empty, or to ratchet up the amount of force they're willing to employ.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    BBI, great article, thanks!

I recall a secretary at an insurance company some years ago that was passing info to thieves about company clients that had firearm riders on their policies (i.e. for targeting purposes).

So yeah, people knowing you have valuables (i.e. firearms in the home, stuff left visible in your car, etc.) = higher risk, but don't ask me to quantify it.

Top Bottom