• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cbrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    brownsburg
    My question is regarding how FFLs normally charge for the transfer of an online purchase. Particularly, where multiple firearms (AR lowers) were purchased at the same time. I know FFLs will charge anywhere between $20 to $50 for a transfer, but do most FFLs charge once for the transfer or do they charge you individually for each firearm?

The reason I ask is I just purchased 3 lowers and my local FFL charged me the transfer fee for each lower. The previous FFL I used only charged me the transfer fee once, when purchasing multiple lowers.

Thanks for any insight.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Most all FFLs I have dealt with charge per item. Yes, it does suck when you have multiple purchases. Someone down here used to charge the full rate for the first item and a discounted rate for each on the same form.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    It varies from dealer to dealer. One of the reasons to shop around for a good FFL and maintain a good relation with them. Don't just use them to take delivery from online purchases. If they have something on the shelf you are after then pick it up even if it does come out to a few bucks more than online. I have a good relation with my local dealer, it was developed this way. On the rare occasion I order multiple somethings online I only get charged for one item, this is not the policy for normal walk-in customers. I usually stop in and tell them I'm planning on ordering something online and give them a chance to price match. If not then they have a heads up that the item will be showing up soon. I've gotten phone calls when someone traded something I have asked about in the past, just to see if I was interested in it before it went to the shelf.

You will save money in the long run by having this type of relationship with your dealer.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My question is regarding how FFLs normally charge for the transfer of an online purchase. Particularly, where multiple firearms (AR lowers) were purchased at the same time. I know FFLs will charge anywhere between $20 to $50 for a transfer, but do most FFLs charge once for the transfer or do they charge you individually for each firearm?

The reason I ask is I just purchased 3 lowers and my local FFL charged me the transfer fee for each lower. The previous FFL I used only charged me the transfer fee once, when purchasing multiple lowers.

Thanks for any insight.

As you see, it depends on the FFL. It's a question I'd ask up front on multiple firearms on the same transfer. Just curious, what FFL did you use this time?

It's a bit of a hall from Brownsburg (I'm close to the same area), but I have used USDS ( Firearm Transfers | US Defense Solutions) and their service on transfers is great. I can't speak to how they handle multiple though as I have not done that with them.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I charge per transfer with a little break the more there is...It stems from an early encounter....A guy I never knew and have never seen since ordered 10 Tokarev's as an investment...I told him it was $20 per transfer but I would give him a break on that and he went ballistic...."You only have to make a phone call and I ain't paying for you to make 10 calls."

Told me he owed me just $20...I then told him it would be $20 per transfer after that comment and stuck by it....I told him it was up to him....

It chapped my butt a bit and I dislike having my butt chapped.....

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I charge per transfer with a little break the more there is...It stems from an early encounter....A guy I never knew and have never seen since ordered 10 Tokarev's as an investment...I told him it was $20 per transfer but I would give him a break on that and he went ballistic...."You only have to make a phone call and I ain't paying for you to make 10 calls."

Told me he owed me just $20...I then told him it would be $20 per transfer after that comment and stuck by it....I told him it was up to him....

Agreed, and the time for him to have discussed that with you was before he had the guns shipped to you. Showing up and acting like that was neither a kind or a smart thing for him to do at that point.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana

Another moron wanting something for nothing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My ffl holder only charges 1 fee per actual call in, nice to have buddies with a ffl!

I bought a dozen firearms last year and I didn't pay a single dime in transfer fees.
    There are at least 2 different shops in my home town that I can get free transfers through, even on internet purchases.

When each first opened, I made a point to go in and introduce myself.
    I made small talk, and made a few small purchases.
    In both cases I offered my help around the shop. In this regard, I have an advantage, in that I possess marketable skills that come in handy sometimes.
    I'm a general construction contractor by trade, and offered my assistance for any needed repairs, now, or in the future.

I now have a years-long relationship with both of these shops.
    Not only will they not charge me transfers, one will routinely sell me firearms at his cost!

At one shop/range, I don't really get discounts per se, but I don't pay transfers, and I shoot on the range for free!
    Yes, I'm spoiled rotten, and I know it.
    Both of these shops now know me well enough that if they get a gun in that I would be interested in, and they know my interests, they call me to tell me what's available.
    My point is, it never hurts to put in the time to build a friendship with a gun shop owner.

I have not once asked for a discount, and I think that may be one reason these guys give them to me anyway.
    They know I have their backs...

O.P. Shop around, but find an FFL that's close to you and seems personable.
    Hang around in the shop on weekends, or whenever you can.
    Build a relationship with a shop owner.
    You'll be AMAZED at how much it can benefit you in the future.

Cbrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    brownsburg
    Thanks for all the replies, I dont think I'll be using that FFL again anytime soon, though he did have some nice used rifles and was fair on many of the pistol prices.

I was just really surprised when the total for my transfer fees cost more than what I paid for the lowers.

Next time I'll use Indy Trading Post in Indianapolis. I used them for my suppressor purchase and was happy with their service.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Most all FFLs I have dealt with charge per item. Yes, it does suck when you have multiple purchases. Someone down here used to charge the full rate for the first item and a discounted rate for each on the same form.

This is what my guy does.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I bought a dozen firearms last year and I didn't pay a single dime in transfer fees.
    There are at least 2 different shops in my home town that I can get free transfers through, even on internet purchases.

When each first opened, I made a point to go in and introduce myself.
    I made small talk, and made a few small purchases.
    In both cases I offered my help around the shop. In this regard, I have an advantage, in that I possess marketable skills that come in handy sometimes.
    I'm a general construction contractor by trade, and offered my assistance for any needed repairs, now, or in the future.

I now have a years-long relationship with both of these shops.
    Not only will they not charge me transfers, one will routinely sell me firearms at his cost!

At one shop/range, I don't really get discounts per se, but I don't pay transfers, and I shoot on the range for free!
    Yes, I'm spoiled rotten, and I know it.
    Both of these shops now know me well enough that if they get a gun in that I would be interested in, and they know my interests, they call me to tell me what's available.
    My point is, it never hurts to put in the time to build a friendship with a gun shop owner.

I have not once asked for a discount, and I think that may be one reason these guys give them to me anyway.
    They know I have their backs...

O.P. Shop around, but find an FFL that's close to you and seems personable.
    Hang around in the shop on weekends, or whenever you can.
    Build a relationship with a shop owner.
    You'll be AMAZED at how much it can benefit you in the future.

This right here, boys and girls, is how life works. Relationships are the key to life, in good times and bad. Build them! Quit shopping at big box stores for bargains, quit racing to 50 to get to the INGO classifieds. Meet people, treat them well, and deals will show up. Golden Rule or something.

Well said Marine!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It's not very common to find shops that charge per transfer and not per item. Even though they are calling once they are still booking everything in and out which is more work than running the background if you have a bunch of items. My FFL charges $10 per item.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This right here, boys and girls, is how life works. Relationships are the key to life, in good times and bad. Build them! Quit shopping at big box stores for bargains, quit racing to 50 to get to the INGO classifieds. Meet people, treat them well, and deals will show up. Golden Rule or something.

Well said Marine!

Solid advice

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Well said Marine!

Semper Fidelis! :patriot:

SirLiftsALatte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's not very common to find shops that charge per transfer and not per item. Even though they are calling once they are still booking everything in and out which is more work than running the background if you have a bunch of items. My FFL charges $10 per item.

I've used U.S.D.S. in Greenwood before and their policy was $15 per item. That is definitely a reasonable price IMO, and they are great people to deal with. Awhile ago I was considering jumping on one of PSA's 1 pistol + 3 lowers deals and the extra $60 made me hesitate long enough for them to sell out.

I kinda figured that $15 per transfer would be the lowest that an FFL would be willing to go, so I'm kind of surprised to hear that there is a place that does them for $10.

Rbooher7526

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    Indianapolis

Thanks for any insight.
    I would think individually. Each application includes the serial number of the gun. Any FFL members? Your input will be appreciated on this interesting question.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County

wow trying to make up his own policies?! He definitely should have called you ahead of time

Top Bottom