• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mickar15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I really started getting into guns when I joined the Army in 1972. I remember, as part of a safety briefing, being warned to listen to our rounds going off. They showed us a picture of a M16 that had blown up. It had fired a round that only had a primer, no powder. The bullet stuck in the barrel. The next round fired could not dislodge the bullet. The third one blew up the receiver. We were warned that if all we heard was a "pop" when we fired, we were to stop and have a range officer run a rod down the barrel to check for obstructions.

I always had this somewhere in the back of my mind, but had never experienced it or knew personally anyone who had. I have been an avid shooter for years. I spent four years as a U.S. Army Drill Sargent. I’m also a member of SASS, and I was on my battalion’s pistol team when I joined the Army Reserves. I have fired or heard fired a lot of rounds through the years.

Sunday, I took my extended clan to a friend’s farm for a day of shooting watermelons and canned orange soda. My wife’s sister has just moved from a gun unfriendly state, to a gun friendly state. Her and her husband work with a lot of hunters and shooters, and they want to start shooting too. So far, so good.

Sister-in-law was shooting my 6" barreled S&W 586. She was shooting 158gr semi wadcutters that I had loaded. I had six or seven hundred rounds loaded. Also, in one box, were five rounds that I have had laying around for twenty years. They were all that was left of a box of 148gr wadcutters that a coworker had loaded and given me. Everything was going great. She’s shooting the gun single action, and I am standing to her left. "Bang", "Bang", "Bang", "pop".

As she cocked the revolver again, I reached up and put my hand around the cylinder and told her not to pull the trigger. She was already hesitating, knowing that it did not sound right. I took the revolver, opened the cylinder and unloaded it. Shining a light in the barrel, I could tell it was obstructed. I took a rod and without too much effort, pushed the bullet back out of the barrel. It was only in about two inches.

I showed everyone there what had happened and what could have been a disaster was turned into a learning experience. Reminded them all, why I harp on safety glasses. I’m just glad that I was standing next to her when it happened.

I admit, I was glad it was not one of my reloads. I threw the remaining round away. I don’t think the bad round had any powder in it at all, as there was no big amount of residue in the barrel.

So you can draw your own lessons here. Safety first and stay alert, because it can and does happen.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    That is a sound that is very distinctive.... good thing you were close by.

A family member has a .44 mag that the cylinder lock spring broke not locking the cylinder in place and he ate lead from the forcing cone where the bullet came out while the lock was between cylinders (really just a hair off so it just shaved the bullet on one side) before he realized that something wasnt right.

I replaced the spring and all is well, but that too could have been bad real quick if the cylinder to cone was more out of alignment....

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    When first learning the reloading process, squibs happened more often than I would like to admit, maybe 5 times or so in a few thousand rounds. Good reason to move to a more reliable press (now use a dillon)

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Years ago, I was shooting a 1911 Nickel plated 45 auto. The same thing happened, A good lesson to learn the safe way, glad it was caught and new people had a good experience shooting.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I was on the range a few years ago and a guy was shooting a 44 mag and had three rounds that hang fired, the last on a good 15 sec after he pulled the trigger it went boom. I asked him to back off the firring line and get some different ammo, So it is important to wait a good 30 sec before you open the action after a hang fire too.

dreamer56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Next door in Illinois
    It happens - as a reloader I am totally paranoid and visually look for the powder charge in each case whether it is the single stage or the progressive - as a shooter I don't ask anyone to shoot my reloads and they don't shoot mine - when I teach a "newbie" they supply their ammo -

Also got in the habit of including the possibility of a squib when we go over the rules for handling a firearm. Thanks for the OP - good to remember for all of us. :)

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I see this on the range pretty often. It certainly devastes a rifle or pistol.Remember if it doesn't sound right or the recoil feels different, make sure you run a brass rod all the way through the barrel. Would like to buy a blown up firearm for classroom demos.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    I had a squibb on a revolver once too. I was new to shooting, and had picked up a batch of reloads from a gun show. I don't think I even knew what a sqibb load was until then. Thankfully when it went pank I knew it should have been a bigger bang, and checked the bore. I haven't bought reloads since, though I did get into reloading my own later on. At least this way if I have another one I'll know whose fault it is. It wasn't hard to push the stuck bullet out with a wood dowl rod. And I was back shooting my revolver in no time.
    It just goes to show that shooting is not a hobby for people that can't pay attention to what's going on.

Top Bottom