How to you determine the selling value of an AR you assembled yourself?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have assembled an AR 15 5.56 rifle. I know what I have in the parts. I am interested in offering the rifle for sale or trade. How much should I expect to lose of my investment? Should I offer the rifle for sale with the optic included or separate? FWIW, I also assembled a 300 Blackout pistol and it is my preferred range gun. Thanks

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you list it on Ingo, ask half of what you paid for it and someone will try to low-ball you.
    List it on Armslist for half-again what it's worth and let them talk you down $50 or so.

It's up to you.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Part out the costs, 10-15% less per year, with normal usage. Up or down based on condition.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Take a look at what a comparable rifle is selling for retail (probably between $400-500?) and then discount 10%.

Also, you might offer it as a trade for something else. The only firearm I've ever gotten rid of was an AR that I built that I traded with another INGOer for a used Mossberg shotgun (with an extra barrel and other accessories) that was a model that was actually on my watch list. I'd done my research and, depending on market conditions, the AR was within 10% value of the Mossie. I think both of us got a fair deal. (And he did a SAWEET cerakote job on the AR.)

Otherwise, the market has so many AR variants, and the retail market can be so depressed, that I'm not sure you'll get the cost+ kind of return that you might want.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The market is flooded. Most everyone has 1 or 2 by now. Prices are very low especially on assembled AR's. Every one I own (several) is an assembled piece and I have no illusions they will get even half of my investment back if and when I decide to sell any of them.

Luck to you in your sale/trade.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Keep it. With the market being what it is, it’s not worth selling it. Hold onto it until:

1. SHTF situation - then use it, barter with it or sell it for increase value.
    2. New political situation - overnight it could be worth a lot more than it is today.
    3. Absolutely necessary sale - if you HAVE to have the $, sell it and take your lumps.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't even try to sell an AR15 at this point in time.
    You'll have to practically give it away.
    It will especially make you mad when it's one you built with quality parts.

At least wait until the next "panic" to sell it, which is bound to happen as leftists never give up pushing for new laws.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wouldn't even try to sell an AR15 at this point in time.
    You'll have to practically give it away.
    It will especially make you mad when it's one you built with quality parts.

At least wait until the next "panic" to sell it, which is bound to happen as leftists never give up pushing for new laws.

I mean this in the least confrontational way possible, but doesn't that raise the specter of price-gouging?

That's certainly been a discussion point in the past.

I'm much more of a "what the market will bear" kinda guy, but there's also a "know it when I see it" line there.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I agree with the guys above me. Keep it. Unless it has some high end parts you're gonna lose money.

AR's for sale on here don't even get my attention unless they're $450 or less.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I mean this in the least confrontational way possible, but doesn't that raise the specter of price-gouging?

I'm much more of a "what the market will bear" kinda guy, but there's also a "know it when I see it" line there.

No, this doesn't necessarily mean "price-gouging".
    It refers to the reality that in a capitalist system, supply and demand will make a difference as to price.

In a market glutted with AR15's, sellers will take less if it's important to them to sell it.
    (which is what we have now)

Just like in a market where AR15's are scarce, buyers will be willing to pay more to get one.
    (people who have them will be more inclined to sell if they can get a good price)

That doesn't necessarily mean "price-gouging", it simply reflects free market economics.

LET me add an example.
    There are many AR15's in the hands of people who couldn't even get their money back if they sold them.
    So they hold on to them.

If the prices rise enough to at least get their money back out of them, some of these people will sell them.
    Thus increasing the supply on the market.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I am well north of 1K in all of mine due to the selection of parts and accessory's.
    My bedside AR pistol is a $1500+ build and it runs like a Deere...:)
    But there is no way I will come close to break even on any of them in this current market. Realizing that I will just sit back and enjoy them when the opportunity arises. If the market comes back and I can pass a few along to new homes without me being "Gouged" I will do so.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i'd say at the most, you'd get about 1/2 to 2/3 of what you paid, and that's IF you find someone who wants exactly what you have for sale

I tell everyone, just because I have a sniper gray magpul acs stock, doesn't mean you want a sniper gray magpul acs stock, and that's just the stock, there's still every other part on the gun!

I bet there's no 2 ar15's that are exactly alike (outside the military) and even though you built one exactly the way you want it, do you think you could find someone who wants one exactly like it?, all you are doing, giving someone stuff they'll sell in the ingo classifieds (scope, stock's, grips, forearms)

I've built 3 rifles, and one pistol, and I know that i'll never get out of them, what I have in them (well the pistol maybe ive got less than 400 in it, but I still need a bcg)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have better luck parting them out than trying to sell a complete rifle. The odds of finding someone who wants exactly what you've built and will be willing to pay for it are pretty low these days considering the wide variety of components available.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I remember the last AWB. Prices on everything went sky high. Demand for AR's was so high, they were unavailable for the first year of the ban.

Right now is the time to invest in a couple of good quality rifles, lots of ammo, and some training classes. When the boneheads in power bring back new restrictions, that will be the time to dump your cheap AR's.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Not all ARs are created equal. Quality ARs still bring good money but with PSA dumping off rifle kits for around $359 it's easy to understand why you might have difficulty getting good money for an average rifle.
    I am not sure about this time but it hasn't been long ago you could buy a built "entry level" AR for less than $425.
    IF I'm not mistaken Rural King was selling a couple of models for around that.
    Since I didn't read what you have...
    "What's special about your AR"???

Top Bottom