• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A couple of weeks ago I was in the local big box store and made the usual pilgrimage to sporting goods and was shocked to find an ample supply of .22 LR in several different brands and options. Everything from 50 round boxes to 1000 round boxes. I went ahead and bought a couple of the thousand round boxes and walked out smiling. Last night I found myself in the same situation and again bought a couple more of the big boxes. Anybody else noticing the shelves starting to fill up again?

And no I won't divulge the location. After seeing far too many boxes at swap meets and flea markets for twice the sticker price that was still attached to the box I'm not going to help the scalpers out. Sorry. And yes I probably am what you are calling me for not sharing.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I don't frequent Walmart enough to judge. Every time I am there the stock of bulk .22 is nill. But I don't buy ammo retail, that is stupid. Rimfire has been available widely online for at least a year or two. Recently started seeing case lots at $0.04-$0.05 per round with free shipping, not a sale but standard.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Midway, Brownells and Palmetto have been running sales on CCI Standard and Blazer for 4-5 cents a round to your door.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive had no issues buying it for over a year for $25 per brick or less. All the stores here in NWI have had it in plentiful supply and like others said lots of great deals on the internet. Psa just had the cci blazer. 99.95 for 2500 rounds shipped to your door. Just got mine yesterday :rockwoot:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Last time I passed by the gun case at my local Wally World, I stopped and just stared at all the .22 for awhile. Apparently long enough that one of the employees, (in total violation of national employee protocal) stopped and asked if I needed help.
    I smiled and said, "Nope. Just looking at ALL that .22. Crazy isn't it? One day we put republican in the white house, and the next day the shelves are full again!"
    This was not literally true, but the employee knew what I meant, agreed that it was ,indeed, crazy. And walked on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... Psa just had the cci blazer. 99.95 for 2500 rounds shipped to your door. Just got mine yesterday :rockwoot:

Got mine today! :rockwoot:

Hopefully most all folks will start to stock up a bit at a time and stay on it. It'd be good to not ever get back to the .22 flippers we had to deal with for a few years. That crap fuels itself and creates dissension among us as gun owners.

Some poor gent has a firm price on a case of CCI standard in the classy's now for close to twice what you can have it delivered to you door for. Strangely, it doesn't seem to be moving. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been adding to my hoards for the last year. It has been in local shops at decent prices for a while now.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I went on an ammo buying spree last week as I have been doing a lot of shooting recently and had depleted my back stock. I was pleasantly surprised to find the PSA deal on Blazer .22LR ($99.95 shipped for 2500 rounds) and another similar deal at outdoorunlimited.com. Anytime I can find .22LR for under $0.04 per round, I consider that a good deal. So....the state of the .22LR ammo supply chain must be solid.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Last time I passed by the gun case at my local Wally World, I stopped and just stared at all the .22 for awhile. Apparently long enough that one of the employees, (in total violation of national employee protocal) stopped and asked if I needed help.

Ha ha! Truer words have never been spoken. I've save lots of money at Walmart......because I can't find anyone to open the ammo case!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I know this horse was beaten to death, but what did cause the actual .22 ammo shortage when it occurred ? (Feel free to flame on )

Sandy Hook and the (perceived) coming fall out that followed resulting in skyrocketing AR prices, run on high capacity magazines and a run on ammo. Since .22LR is the most common (and affordable) ammo in the country, there were MAJOR shortages as everyone when to stock pile ammo.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sandy Hook and the (perceived) coming fall out that followed resulting in skyrocketing AR prices, run on high capacity magazines and a run on ammo. Since .22LR is the most common (and affordable) ammo in the country, there were MAJOR shortages as everyone when to stock pile ammo.

There were also reports of manufacturers putting more resources (labor, etc) towards centerfire ammo production. No idea if that is true. Some things may not have been able to be redirected, but obviously labor and other resources could be.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Local Walmart has had more 22 the last few months than I've ever seen there, even pre shortage. Granted, most is lower grade bulk plinking stuff but they do get smaller amounts of Minimags and SV. Also have seen some Stingers a few times. Personally I've been buying cases of mid range ammo the last year or so. Need to take inventory again but I think I'm in the mid 5 digits with 22s. Enough that I won't buy any more unless its a really,really good price.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I still can't figure out why there was a shortage to begin with.

"There was a mass shooting! Buy all the .22lr!!!!!!"

10aq8q.jpg

herp-derp-XD-random-31654872-244-206.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The complete shortage of everything was really strange. Stuff that was under no threat seemed to evaporate everywhere.

Top Bottom