Madison, Wisconsin council member says banks should not have armed guards.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Madison, Wisconsin council member says banks should not have armed guards.

A city-council member in Madison, Wisconsin, extrapolating arguments about school security, is arguing that armed guards make banks less safe and that she fears “an arms race with would-be robbers.”

Amanda Hall, the alderman for District 3, made the comments in a blog post concerning a request from a Chase Bank branch on Milwaukee Street to have an off-duty Madison police officer work the bank as armed security, at the bank’s expense.

The bank in the university town had been hit been by several armed robberies in the past year, one of them deadly, according to Madison TV station WMTV, channel 15.

But Ms. Hall said in a blog post on her pages of the City of Madison Common Council site that adding armed guards just encourages violence.

“Current events have forced us to consider is how guns impact safety in all aspects of our lives … [including] having more armed guards to defend us, whether in our schools, or our neighborhood bank branches,” she explained.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm truly amazed this great thinker didn't propose taking all the MONEY out of the banks.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Without an armed guard, the bank branch will eventually close; no business should be expected to operate at a loss or under conditions where the employees are at risk of harm.

Then I'm sure she will blame the bank's "greed" for not remaining open in an "underserved" area.

Kind of like when they complain about "food deserts" after grocery stores leave because of poor sales, too many robberies, looting during riots, etc.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Without an armed guard, the bank branch will eventually close; no business should be expected to operate at a loss or under conditions where the employees are at risk of harm.

Then I'm sure she will blame the bank's "greed" for not remaining open in an "underserved" area.

Kind of like when they complain about "food deserts" after grocery stores leave because of poor sales, too many robberies, looting during riots, etc.

Could we stop using logic... :dunno:

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I'm truly amazed this great thinker didn't propose taking all the MONEY out of the banks.

Well there you have it, the real solution. Who would be stupid enough to rob an empty bank? Maybe we should apply this theory to schools too, empty schools = no mass shootings in GFZs. Solves our problem without taking away our guns.

I can't believe this persons thoughts on security, how did such an idiot get elected to office? Oh, my error- it was an election involving additional idiots.

BrotherFred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Is this lady related to Socrates or something? Obviously one of the great thinkers of our time...

People actually vote for someone to have the ability to say things like this out loud.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Leadership like this says these things because it's what the people who elected them want to hear. They provide a comfortable mythology to their constituents while serving themselves and usually a political machine. They aren't stupid, they know what they are selling.

Always follow the money

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Always follow the money

Serious question. Don't take this the wrong way...

Is this a meme now? Do you say this because you're expected to? Is it to be funny?

I'm not ragging on you, I just hate this line because of how often people say it. I'm actually curious if it's an INGO meme that I've missed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Is this a meme now? Do you say this because you're expected to? Is it to be funny?

I'm not ragging on you, I just hate this line because of how often people say it. I'm actually curious if it's an INGO meme that I've missed.

It is more the truth than people let on. Always follow the money. Nothing gets done that some official does not get paid in some way.
    To think otherwise is just denial.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

I used to do cash audits at some rural banks. In reality banks really do not have the amount of cash on hand that one might imagine. Particularly in an unsophisticated robbery with a guy and a note that says "give me all your money". For the related Federal penalties plus some of the secret methods of tracing the money the risk/reward just isn't there. Better off turning on the light bulb like Honey Bunny in Pulp Fiction and holding up a diner.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Although I do like Food Desserts.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland

It's a simple truth. Not just these days, either. Some of the most interesting writings of ancient Rome and Greece have the author railing against the greed and corruption in government. Very little is new under the sun.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

My personal experiences with leadership, political, economic, or whatever have been that they are all keenly interested in filling their pockets or if their pockets are already full beyond measure, that most elusive and desired of qualities, power. The two are sometimes interchangeable. What leadership does is often dressed up in their own words or by big media to appear to serve a "cause". The phrase "always follow the money" just means that if you look under the BS, the motivation is always money or power.

I've seen All the President's Men many years ago and understand the meaning of the phrase as used in the movie. I've been using it in a different and much broader context.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll add that it's a great compliment that the phrase would be considered an INGO meme.:)

Top Bottom