• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I didn't know what to put as a title as to promise more than what this is about, but it was a heart-stopper for me, but just a financial one.
    I went to the Point Bland Range and Gun store to buy a couple of Pearce magazine pinkly grips so I had my Glock in the box with the slide back and magazine out (unloaded) like they want.
    This was instead of having it with my other guns I'm shooting any given time in my carry-on rolling suitcase.
    I took care of business and had them install the pinky extensions and rolled my suitcase, carrying my Glock box over to the counter where the targets are and you check into the range and waited my turn.
    I checked in and the asked me if I wanted 1/2 hour or an hour and I told them: 6 hours. :laugh:
    They laughed b/c they are getting to know me and know I stay for an extra hour, sometimes 3 hours.
    They just went ahead and put me down for 2 hours instead of me telling the R.O. when he tells me I have 5 minutes: "Do you want me to go back out and back in, or can you request another hour?"
    Then I went over to the tall tables and chairs where people wait and you can see into some of the range.

After I got into my #7 spot and was setting up a couple of guns to shoot, I couldn't find my Glock box! :tinfoil:
    After checking 3 times, I was in a panic and went out to where I checked in and asked did I leave it on the counter?
    I went over and check on the counter where the guy put on my pinky extenders to see if I left it sit there.
    I looked up the guy that helped me and asked did he put it somewhere to wait on my to come back and get it? (of which was illogical since he would see my at the check-in or look me up in the range, but I was becoming desperate, knowing that a Glock box sitting on a counter somewhere would be too much of a temptation for some.

I asked people sitting at the tables (and looked on them) if they had seen a Glock box on the table (hoping they had turned it in if they had.
    I was feeling the loss and couldn't believe I had been so careless! :crying:

I went into my range spot, and when I went over to the guys next to me by the wall to ask if they had seen a Glock box when they came in, they said they had seen one on the floor of the range and had put it over by the wall where they were.
    And, there it was, on the floor by the wall about 2-3 feet away from the wall, like they had it sitting there for someone to see, laying flat on the floor.
    I was so grateful and relieved! :rockwoot:

Then, the thought went through my mind: "on the floor?" Like I dropped it out of my hand carrying it and didn't notice?
    It didn't add up logically, but I was so grateful I didn't say a word about the inconsistency of it. I thought it was gone and was suffering the loss in my mind.

As I was in by range booth thinking of the strangeness of it all, I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt and got a $20 bill out to go give them as a thank-you (for not putting inside a jacket and carrying it out, but did leave it out for anyone to see.
    I suppose they might have thought: if no one sees it and claims it, finders, keepers. :scratch:

I pondered where I really left it though, since I certainly didn't set in on the floor: by the counter where the pinky was done, by counter where I checked in, or over by the tables or on the floor of the range.

I ASS UME I left it on the table before you go into the range, b/c that is where I put things (targets) when I stop before going into the range to put on my ear gear.

After collecting my new Glock acquisition for $400 from Bucknut last week I shot many rounds through it with glee using my new extensions, which gave me 3 finger purchase/grip/coverage and I could pretend it was a Glock 19. :laugh: Works for me.
    (The Pearce extensions that gave 12 rounds (lie: only 11) had better coverage for the pinky than the pinky extension did, which I found oxymoronish). I almost didn't buy the pinky extension b/c of it, but it was only a few dollars ($8, I think) and since I have 3 stock mags (thank-you, Glock) that would give me 3 variations: stock, pinky extension and 12 round extension (still a lie, however, but a better pinky extension).

Hope you vicariously enjoyed the horrow I experienced at the potential loss and learned to be better attentive than I was. :dunno:

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Holy crap, that would make me sick to my stomach. Glad you found it, man. That could ruin a guy's entire week, or MONTH!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    One time I was at the Carmel range, there was a guy with a similar experience with a rifle. He'd left the bag along one of the gun cases, but then couldn't find it. Had my own to-do list and never did find out how that ended. I always hoped that a store employee found it and secured it for him.

Glad your story had a happy ending! :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Holy crap, that would make me sick to my stomach. Glad you found it, man. That could ruin a guy's entire week, or MONTH!

1. In my case: year! :xmad:

One time I was at the Carmel range, there was a guy with a similar experience with a rifle. He'd left the bag along one of the gun cases, but then couldn't find it. Had my own to-do list and never did find out how that ended. I always hoped that a store employee found it and secured it for him.

2. OUCH!

3. I don't know quite what to say. :laugh:

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Don't know if it fits the definition of lost but have found a handgun that I forgot I had.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Sounds like the lesson here is to put on your own pinky extenders so you aren't dragging a suitcase of 22's and a Glock in a separate case.

Although, for a guy that "loves the hunt", I would have thought hunting for your own gun would be just as enjoyable.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie

We all LOVE a happy ending...:shady:

doddg, I'm glad you found it. That would've mad me sick to my stomach. I'd have been running around looking everywhere!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sounds like the lesson here is to put on your own pinky extenders so you aren't dragging a suitcase of 22's and a Glock in a separate case.

Although, for a guy that "loves the hunt", I would have thought hunting for your own gun would be just as enjoyable.

Or leave the mags for the person to swap the base plates on rather than the gun.

On similar note, here is something I saw recently that hopefully comes to market if it hasn't already

[video=youtube;6x-g2X4b_Ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x-g2X4b_Ss[/video]

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Haven't left a gun but I did leave a nice spotting scope at Knob Creek few years ago. Hope whoever found it and kept it got some good use out of it !

1. My oldest best friend is a hunter, and I know how sick he'd feel over losing a priced scope!

Don't know if it fits the definition of lost but have found a handgun that I forgot I had.

2. I found my small NAA single-action 5 shot after missing for 2 yrs. It was like getting a gun for free!

3. That's so funny! Nothing like being made sport of by those who know my idiosyncrasies!
    4. In my defense, I haven't been able to shoot my .22LRs much, too busy working with my Nano and G26, comparing it to my Shield 9mm. Except for breaking in my Bersa Thunder .22LR that I might sell (rare for a .22LR in my hands).

We all LOVE a happy ending...:shady:

doddg, I'm glad you found it. That would've mad me sick to my stomach. I'd have been running around looking everywhere!

5. I was headed there!

Or leave the mags for the person to swap the base plates on rather than the gun.

6. Lesson learned.

On a similar note, here is something I saw recently that hopefully comes to market if it hasn't already
    [video=youtube;6x-g2X4b_Ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x-g2X4b_Ss[/video]

7. Oh, the simplicity of having the right tool for the right job at the right time.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Things like this are prime reasons why I only carry 2 firearms at a range. It is a nightmare trying to keep up with more. two pistols go in the range bag at home, magazines loaded, hearing and eye protection, tape, batteries, notebook, and extra ammo. It keeps everything simple and together. I do not like having anything behind me at a range that someone may be able to walk off with.

I like the flambeau offering (especially because their factory outlet store in Columbus has serious hook ups) https://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/Tactical/Range-Systems/Soft-Range-Storage/lg-range-bag-tactical

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I happened to be there during the whole fiasco. I regularly cycle through both ranges. I noticed it in the middle of the floor and pushed it against the wall assuming that it belonged to the folks on lane 10 (you were on 9 I believe). First time I've seen a pistol in the middle of the floor but I see so many strange things there nothing surprises me anymore. I have to believe you had it on your roller and it fell off when you came through the door. Glad the proper owner found it.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I happened to be there during the whole fiasco. I regularly cycle through both ranges. I noticed it in the middle of the floor and pushed it against the wall assuming that it belonged to the folks on lane 10 (you were on 9 I believe). First time I've seen a pistol in the middle of the floor but I see so many strange things there nothing surprises me anymore. I have to believe you had it on your roller and it fell off when you came through the door. Glad the proper owner found it.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

1. Unbelievable that someone from here was in the room!
    2. Thanks for getting it out of the middle of the floor!
    3. I must not have remembered it correctly b/c when I talked to the guys in lane 10 (I was in 7), they said they moved it out of the middle of the floor closer to the wall.
    4. The stress of the situation must have affected my recall: I read about such things, but thanks for trying to watch out for whoever idiot was who left his Glock box in the middle of the floor: me. :laugh:
    5. Since my 4 wheeled suitcase has little room on top with the handle in the middle I can't imagine trying to go over the raised thresholds (3) that lead in and out of the range from the lobby, but your theory is logical: lesson learned. :dunno:

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Lesson-
    I always keep a firm grip my Glock, so no one else will grab it..... unless she's cute. :rolleyes:

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I got home from the Carmel Point Blank range and was going through everything and realized I left 8 magazines for my Swiss Sig P210s (they are about $150
    each) in a baggie on the back wall. Called and they said oh yeah these 1911 mags and I said yeah those. Picked them up the next day but was sweating bullets until they were in my hands.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg- for a nominal fee, I could be available to act as your shooting range pack mule. Lol then you won't have to worry about keeping track of everything

1. I obviously need at least a babysitter:dunno: to go with me.

I got home from the Carmel Point Blank range and was going through everything and realized I left 8 magazines for my Swiss Sig P210s (they are about $150
    each) in a baggie on the back wall. Called and they said oh yeah these 1911 mags and I said yeah those. Picked them up the next day but was sweating bullets until they were in my hands.

2. $1200 worth of magazines: I wouldn't be able to breathe! :ugh:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Things like this are prime reasons why I only carry 2 firearms at a range. It is a nightmare trying to keep up with more. two pistols go in the range bag at home, magazines loaded, hearing and eye protection, tape, batteries, notebook, and extra ammo. It keeps everything simple and together. I do not like having anything behind me at a range that someone may be able to walk off with.

I like the flambeau offering (especially because their factory outlet store in Columbus has serious hook ups) https://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/Tactical/Range-Systems/Soft-Range-Storage/lg-range-bag-tactical

I essentially do the same. Normally its 1 pistol with about 100 rounds already loaded into magazines. Sometimes 2 maybe 3. Depends what I'm working on. Sometimes I'll bring glock 42/43/19. Sometimes just a 17 or 19.

Not even mentioning whatever gun I'm carrying plus a back up mag

Top Bottom