• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyingbrian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    Rearranging my closet this weekend. My wife asks why I dont just throw away the boxes that my firearms and assecories came in. What say you in INGO land. I just cant bring myself to throw them out. Am i just a Hoarder or is there value to keeping them? I have no plans to sell any of my firearms

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I keep the cases for my hand guns. Long guns not so much. Accessory boxes not so much. Storage is an issue and the spouse would find a way to irritate me about it.

Flyingbrian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    Currently storage is not an issue. However the wife irritation factor is coming into play. I store several long gun boxes in the attic

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I keep all of my boxes. If you ever decide to sell, they can add a little value once in a while. My long gun boxes go in the attic and my handgun boxes/cases are stacked in my closet. I don't have a whole bunch......yet.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    I try to save all of mine, I've re-used them when gifting firearms before. May not be the right box for the gun, but it makes wrapping them a lot easier

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I too keep all my boxes. I've just seen too many cases where the original box doubles the price on a antique firearm. I know people have the view that a glock or similar will never be a collectible, but I'm sure that the purchasers of the Colt SAAs in 1901 thought the same way....
    Perhaps you could lookup some closing auction prices of old firearm boxes and present them to your wife, not in an argumentative fashion of course, but letting her see some of the rationale for keeping them. Who knows, she may change her mind :dunno:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I keep all boxes, they do add value if you ever decide to sell them.
    Long gun boxes go in the attic, hand gun boxes in one of our spare bedroom closets.
    Space is not an issue at my house.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    GET RID OF BOXES???? Is she serious? Does she have a closet full of shoe boxes (terribly sexist question)?

I keep most every firearm and accessory box. Some are neatly stored in plastic bins (older guns and handgun boxes). Some are just piled up with rifle boxes.

A box may have some value in selling and can give the perception of a seller that is conscientious of condition and proper care.

If you have room - keep 'em. If you don't - happy wive/happy life.

Personally, I am kinda a box junkie when I buy an older gun and will pay a modest premium - not saying that makes sense - just saying that I do and am not the only one.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I keep them all. I have a closet in a spare bedroom that is just for gun boxes and travel cases.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So the people that throw their boxes away, does that even go for the fancy plastic boxes that many gun makers are using today?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Cardboard boxes get thrown away while the boxes that are more like cases (Glock, Sig pistols, etc) will be kept. Right now they are all kept in a couple rubber maid bins out of the way.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I would definitely keep all the handgun cases. I keep mine in a big stack in my storage room.

I can can understand not keeping the long gun boxes. But I keep all mine. They live in the rafters of the garage.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I keep everything from small plastic packages that sling mounts, afg's, sights, etc came in all the way up to rifle cases. Cardboard ones get gently folded if possible. All items I sell or trade come with anything I have for it. Some include instructions or unused parts, pads, hardware, lens cloths, etc. If I don't have a manufacturer's original manual I will print one out and include it. All of these things are easy to do plus I think it speaks to a person's care and handling of firearms and I know it's how I would appreciate receiving a used gun purchase from a private party transaction.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I used to keep all boxes until my wife cured me. One Christmas, I unwrapped a present, and there, in all its glory, was a box for a Remington 870! My excitement was a level ten, until I opened the box and saw it was a shaving mirror. Now, I just keep hard cases.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I try to save as many as possible. If I purchased the firearm with a box it is part of the firearm. Heck I even have a cardboard box from a Kahr CW9, I doubt that will ever be collectable.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I used to keep all boxes until my wife cured me. One Christmas, I unwrapped a present, and there, in all its glory, was a box for a Remington 870! My excitement was a level ten, until I opened the box and saw it was a shaving mirror. Now, I just keep hard cases.

I get the opposite. My last gun I got as a gift was in a shoebox. I didn't know Sketchers made pistols.

Top Bottom