• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I wonder if they will cut ties with companies that use high fructose corn syrup, alcohol, marijuana, bars, hammer makers....

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Guess i will be paying off my Bass Pro, BOA card and canceling it. They will get no more of my money. Wonder if they'll sever ties with Bass Pro too, since they sell those evil, black, scary, "Military assault weapons"

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    [FONT=&quot]This year, [/FONT]a group of nuns is leading a proposal[FONT=&quot] on Sturm Ruger's shareholder proxy asking the company to do a report on what efforts it is making to research and produce safer guns and also to assess gun violence-related risks to its reputation and financial position. The company is recommending shareholders vote no on the matter.[/FONT]

What the Hell would this accomplish??? The problem is not the safety of the weapon. The problem is the horrible person using it to commit terrible acts. I'm glad that Ruger is asking its shareholders not to succumb to this type of pressure, unlike BOA.

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    [FONT=&quot]"And several airlines, car rental companies and hotel chains have dropped rewards or discounts programs for National Rifle Association members." Discrimination??

[/FONT]

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I cant think of any financial firm that knowingly does business with marijuana dealers.

Here are a few, not financial business, but definitely funded by financial institutions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180410-185835.jpg
      Screenshot_20180410-185835.jpg
      77.1 KB · Views: 35
    • Screenshot_20180410-185845.jpg
      Screenshot_20180410-185845.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have to wonder how much business this represents to them, lots of people out there lending money so I would imagine the companies they are targeting will just get someone else.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Considering firearms are profitable, I'm not sure how you justify such actions to shareholders? Ultimately people invest to maximize their returns.

Same way every other company justifies discriminating against a segment of the market. "It's against our beliefs".

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Considering firearms are profitable, I'm not sure how you justify such actions to shareholders? Ultimately people invest to maximize their returns.

Same way every other company justifies discriminating against a segment of the market. "It's against our beliefs".

iEixwPO.gif

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Time link for the story

Bank of America to Stop Lending to Military-Style Gunmakers | Time

Such a silly gesture... because what you make looks a certain way... Alright then.

It is all virtue signaling, and a business decision: they are pandering to another segment of their customer base. They appear to have made a decision that they can replace the lost business.

As for fiduciary responsibilities, I recently ran across an article (I neglected to save it) about Calpers, the California government employees' pension manager, suffering less than optimal returns on their investments because of their "socially conscious" investment decisions. They avoid traditional energy companies, for example, because of "global warming." The diminished investment returns have aggravated their already underfunded position. But, they did signal their virtuousness.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe cobber is addressing the fiduciary duties of the Board of Directors.

Slumping gun sales (Ruger reported 27% reduction in sales last quarter of 2017), concerns over bad PR and boycotts, brand building...seems like there's plenty of cover if shareholders were to take them to court.

But we all know it boils down to "Its against our beliefs". Social engineering via marketplace discrimination based on non-business/profit related motives. Man...sure sounds familiar.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I wonder if calpers is covered by the pension benefit guarantee program.

I heard a blurb about the pension guarantee program on a radio show yesterday. If they are, good luck with that. If/when the city/state pension programs meet reality, it will be interesting to see how they socialize their failures.

Top Bottom