• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just for discussion.... when I go out looking at guns, here are some rules I follow.

1: No COM BLOC weapons, This is 100% non negotiable. We are AMERICANS, Commie AKs make me puke!

2: No pic rails. There are a few reasons for this. A it encourages hanging useless crap all over the rifle. I am not opposed to attaching things to the rifle. But it needs to attach some other way then a pic rail. Keeps the rifle sleek and light. The rails themselves add weight to the firearm... Why add the weight of the rail AND the rings, when I can get an all in one mount for a 30mm optic.
    3: No QD sling mounts, I want two permanently attached 1 1/4 inch sling swivels on the bottom of the rifle or shotgun. This one isn't 100% set in stone if it's got some other GI way to attach a GI sling (such as the M1 carbine) or if it's a pistol.. I can put up with Commercial style studs however. But permanent sling swivels are the best.

4: Must have iron sights permanently attached. Also not 100% set in stone, if it's a precision bolt gun with a scope, no iron sights is all right.

5: Bayonet Lug with bayonet.. Again if it's a precision bolt gun or a pistol.. not needed.
    6: Pistols and or revolvers MUST have a Lanyard loop. One of the most overlooked things in my opinion. It is WAY to easy to loose a pistol in your hand when you fall. Lanyard prevents this.
    7: My calibers, All NATO calibers, plus 45ACP, 12 gauge, 30 carbine, and 30-06.
    8: Speaking of ammo. I love specialty rounds! Shotgun. BUCK AND BALL all the way. Kitchen sink shells are good too. New loads are making certain rounds extremely relevant again. 30 carbine and the new Underwood and Hornady rounds, WOW.

I am not opposed to optics and the like. I own several GOOD optics. I have an Aimpoint 3000 (Brownie points to the one that points out the significance of this optic), a Unertl 10X scope, AN/PVS-4, and a Leatherwood 3 to 9 ART. But I make a point not to depend on them, and they are not stored ON the rifles. Just how long in a SHTF situation will batteries last on that taticool gadget? Or when your optic gets smashed in an accident? Do you have irons that work? I know I do.

The bayonet is kinda my thing. I love Bayonets. Anything extra to make some miscreant crap his drawers is a plus! A rifle with a fixed bayonet is an intimidating thing. My shotgun with it's bayonet even more.. Some hoodlum will be less inclined to start something seeing that.

Speaking of Buck and Ball. This is the most overlooked shotgun round ever. 2.75" shells with one .65 caliber lead ball, and six #1buck pellets. 1300 fps velocity. Serious OUCH power. No one ever said you had to put one one size of ball at a time in a shotgun round!

Say what you want, I know my old stuff works. it's proven and has kicked the monkey snot out of communists and terrorist scum on multiple fields of battle. It's all built tough to last. No it's not the latest taticool stuff. it's just good old fashioned American iron and knowhow. And when the SHTF and the technological clock gets set back a few decades... My stuff will still work.

threegen.jpg

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I am not against canadian guns. The C7 and C8 sprung from and American inventor, and one of our beloved guns was invented by a Canadian. Besides. M1A receivers are cast in Quebec or something.
    Springfield 1903, Mauser received 75 cents per rifle in royalties, and there are many other cases of infringement by the US Army Ordinance Dept. So I'm not so hung up on where the rifle was made rather if it meets my needs.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Springfield 1903, Mauser received 75 cents per rifle in royalties, and there are many other cases of infringement by the US Army Ordinance Dept. So I'm not so hung up on where the rifle was made rather if it meets my needs.

Well there again, I only said no com bloc crap. :p

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Got no AK. Need no AK. Want no AK. Got one AR. Need no more. Want no more. Got plenty of heavy-barreled bolt guns. Need no more. Want some more. Every rifle we have is scoped. Have no need for iron sights. Don't want one with iron sights. Don't shoot anything close enough to make iron sights practical. Most of the center fire bolt guns are single shot Savages from the factory or are converted to single shot. All of them are .22 caliber or smaller. Don't need anything bigger. Might entertain a 6 - 6.8 mm but don't really want anything bigger. Wouldn't have a Remington rifle if it was free. Don't mind one bit if you like different flavors.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I like commie guns...As a child of the Cold War they were unavailable...When the wall came down and the breakup of the USSR unfolded all of these formally unavailable guns came to our shores dirt cheap and I went nuts......

I am sure 220 years ago I would have lusted after Indian muskets, shot pouches, tomahawks, knives and powder horns as well....

"So knowing what losses we have had fighting the Shawnee how on earth can you justify bringing that stuff into the cabin???"

"Because WE WON!!!! And to the victor belong the spoils...."

"How far are you willing to take this?"

"I...I...I don't know how to tell you this dad...But I am going to start wearing a breech cloth..."

"NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!"

"Yes sir...It's very liberating..."

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I need to get the Garand out and get the Bayonet on it. Actually have two bayonets for it.

I am working on my 870.. dang Bayonet part is rare.

IN the mean time, Proper lanyard use!
    IMG00574.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Got no AK. Need no AK. Want no AK. Got one AR. Need no more. Want no more. Got plenty of heavy-barreled bolt guns. Need no more. Want some more. Every rifle we have is scoped. Have no need for iron sights. Don't want one with iron sights. Don't shoot anything close enough to make iron sights practical. Most of the center fire bolt guns are single shot Savages from the factory or are converted to single shot. All of them are .22 caliber or smaller. Don't need anything bigger. Might entertain a 6 - 6.8 mm but don't really want anything bigger. Wouldn't have a Remington rifle if it was free. Don't mind one bit if you like different flavors.

Who says you need to be close for Irons? Particularly the irons on the Garand, M14 and the M16A2

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No lever guns, revolvers? Every American should own a lever gun and revolver.

Colt and Winchester!

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Well moose you have some great America steel and wood. They look so much better with the bayonets look great on them.
    Also leadeye that is a nice set up,very classy

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Who says you need to be close for Irons? Particularly the irons on the Garand, M14 and the M16A2

Talking prairie dogs at ranges measured in hundreds of yards. You won't have much fun or success shooting irons in a dog town. I can't even see 'em, let alone hit 'em, without scopes. :)

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    I'm with Indiucky, I'm a child of the Cold War and as such I won't rule out commie guns. I have quite a few, but hands down my favorites are my Garands, 1911's and my 1903A3. I still lust for an M1A, but I haven't crossed that threshold yet on $$$ all at once. It will happen someday..someday

Top Bottom