• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sensible article, thank you for sharing, I knew one of his relatives, Col Earp, Provost Marshal Ft Benning Ga, 1981, and served under him, he was a no nonsense kind of Officer, and told me his family name was pronounced "ARP", not "URP", as people and TV did.

He is probably gone now, the old colonel, married a very hot young hot Asian lady that year, and won an all expenses paid vacation honeymoon to Hawaii with her, Lucky Dog.
    I never saw him at the range though.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's pretty interesting. Even more so, that the quickest cowboy draw shooters, today, are "fanners."

[video=youtube;YiHgNXxIcuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiHgNXxIcuo&t=98s[/video]

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I picked up an old book a couple years ago based on Indiucky's vote of excellence, I can't remember the name of it right now but it's a collection of interviews from both the good and bad guys that were real good with a gun in the wild west. There are a couple people that are fairly dry reading but man the rest are great!!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I picked up an old book a couple years ago based on Indiucky's vote of excellence, I can't remember the name of it right now but it's a collection of interviews from both the good and bad guys that were real good with a gun in the wild west. There are a couple people that are fairly dry reading but man the rest are great!!

How prevalent were gun fighters really? Films and movies make it seem like everyone was handy with a gun, but common sense tells us that can't be. I imagine the few dedicated gun fighters, weren't necessarily naturally just better than everyone else, but simply put in the time to purposefully become a gun fighter. So if they came across some clodhopper who had an issue, it was easily handled.

The wisdom of Unforgiven:
    [video=youtube;jRi_u4GbfIw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRi_u4GbfIw[/video]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How prevalent were gun fighters really? Films and movies make it seem like everyone was handy with a gun, but common sense tells us that can't be. I imagine the few dedicated gun fighters, weren't necessarily naturally just better than everyone else, but simply put in the time to purposefully become a gun fighter. So if they came across some clodhopper who had an issue, it was easily handled.

The wisdom of Unforgiven:
    [video=youtube;jRi_u4GbfIw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRi_u4GbfIw[/video]

Still one of my favorite C. Eastwood films.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    That's pretty interesting. Even more so, that the quickest cowboy draw shooters, today, are "fanners.

i think the fastest were fanners back then too, and Earp kind of alluded to that. But in a real deal gunfight the best switched to a more traditional controlled style.

Watching the video you hear the announcer cal out “no time” for many of the shooters, including the guy who set the record. I’m assuming this means they missed the target?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    In his line of work Wyatt clubbed far more people than he shot with a gun. That's easier to do with a Colt SAA than a Glock, but I think best tool for it in the day was the Remington 1875.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.

That was a pretty good book, although slow but it gave me the opinion that most "gunfighters" were men that simply had no reservations whatsoever about ending a man's life. Not necessarily morally straight but a different moral code so to speak.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    That was a pretty good book, although slow but it gave me the opinion that most "gunfighters" were men that simply had no reservations whatsoever about ending a man's life. Not necessarily morally straight but a different moral code so to speak.

Appreciated if someone can post the book title.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Different times.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Triggernometry
    51rk6xMaycL._SX342_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Triggernometry-Gallery-Gunfighters-Eugene-Cunningham/dp/0806128372

Z

Top Bottom