• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Looking for a electronic earmuffs maybe in $50 to $125 price range? Low profile enough from rifle shooting...comfortable enough for all day use.

Peltor 100/300's? Howard Leight? Walker Razor?

Anybody have a brand/model they have had good success or something to stay away from.

I've been doing plugs and earmuffs for years and ready to step up...but at least I don't have a flip phone...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I like the howard leights, they could fit me better but as far as price for the cost I'm yet to find a something I like a whole lot more. I had some peltors but they broke.
    I decided the other day I'll be getting some MSA Sordins I think in the future. Heck I spend hundreds on silencers without blinking but still don't own a set of "good" ear muffs.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I have Howard Leights. If I had to get some more I would probably do peltors though. Specifically the tactical sports. They were much more comfortable when worn for a long time. With most of these I still feel double plugs are the way to go, especially with rifles. Never tried the MSAs

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Midway had the Peltor Sport 500s on sale earlier this year and I got them for right around $100 shipped. So far I have only used them indoors and they worked pretty well.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    chezuki - so, there is a noticeable difference in clipping versus compression technology? Frankly, I don't hear so well in a normal environment...

Yes. Clipping cuts ALL sound if anything is above a certain decibel, essentially becoming regular muffs during that time. Compression lowers the loud sounds to safe levels while still allowing conversation.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I’ll add a caveat... it really depends on what kind of shooting you do.

For training classes and competitions, it is important to be able to hear the instructor or RO while others are still shooting. This is where compression technology really shines. Clipping muffs will pick up shots from nearby and cut out things you may need to hear.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ll add a caveat... it really depends on what kind of shooting you do.

For training classes and competitions, it is important to be able to hear the instructor or RO while others are still shooting. This is where compression technology really shines. Clipping muffs will pick up shots from nearby and cut out things you may need to hear.
    +1 compression tech allows you to be shooting and hear commands at the same time. Clipping shuts down everything once the shot is fired. I’m currently looking at Peltor Tep-200 in ear active plugs.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Peltor Tactical Sports. I've run mine in multiple classes this year in the rain, freezing temps, etc and they haven't flinched.

This. Been using them for several years. Night and day better than the Howard Leight clipping technology.

I've found the 3M Peltor Sport Tactical to be a nice upgrade from the Howard Leights without being high dollar.

I have a pair of Howard Leight's that have had to be replaced *TWICE* due to issues. I still have them, but they are in my backup bag now as I switched to Peltor Tactical Sports. I added the gel cups, and I find that I like these much better than the Leights.

Seriously, do yourself a favor and pass on the Howard Leights, but I do have to admit, I do see a lot of shooters that wear them. I used to think they were OK (when they worked) until I tried the Peltors.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Top Bottom