Long Term Storage; Ever tried Vacuum sealing after greasing well, oiling?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Just curious if anyone here has ever tried using a vacuum sealer for long term or extended storage of handguns or other such equipment?

Ideas?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have the Cabela’s commercial grade vacuum sealer, just started vacuum sealing boxes of ammo That I wont be touching for a long time. The Internet collective says that it’s stupid because ammo cans work just fine. But I don’t see how it’s a bad other option or an addition..

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If done in plastic bags is there risk of staining from reaction with solvents/oils if the plastic comes in direct contact with the gun?
    Just gonna throw this out there. If things have gotten so bad that you’re tearing open your zip locked guns, do you really think staining is high on the list of priorities?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    staining is a chemical reaction, one that could lead to the seal being compromised. If you're really in it for the long run, it's a concern.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Just gonna throw this out there. If things have gotten so bad that you’re tearing open your zip locked guns, do you really think staining is high on the list of priorities?

I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping your safe queens that much safer. In which case, it is a valid question.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    there is a company that makes bags for firearms. I have one someplace (got it as a girt and have not put anything in it yet) but they are out there....when I get home I will get the product name.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    My first reaction was the chemical reaction thought as well.
    Secondarily, you may "suck" oil/grease into places you don't want it (on the gun... no kinky stories here plz)
    Specifically, getting extra oil/grease in a firing pin channel in some striker fired guns can cause issues.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    All good replies, I had forgot about those bags made for handguns. I do not have one but I have seen them on line.

The point about fouling from oil grease in the tight spots is exactly why I asked.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Bianchi used to make plastic gun storage bags. I have a Black T coated Taurus PT99 that I have had in one for a couple of decades. Looks fresh and new every time I've pulled it out to look at it. Not sure if they still make them or not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I purchased bulk ammo.
    I have vacuum sealed ammo double or triple boxes.
    It is a hit of miss seal.
    I would put three seals on each side of the bags.
    When I went and checked on the ammo.
    I found a lot lost the vacuum and a lot were still sealed tight.
    I would say 60/40 good seal.
    I have picked up a lot of the moisture absorbing packets.
    I have put them with different things for storage.
    I forget the name of it. The sell storage protection cloth.

Are you going to vacuum seal the long gun in a case?
    When I worked in a factory.
    The Machinists had oil impregnated brown paper protective wrap.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    No Long Guns present their own long term storage issue, at least from what I know. I am sure there are many out there who know just what to do. My only knowledge of long term storage of long guns would be PVC pipe, glued caps etc. what size is critical. I've seen those tubes that Mossberg for instance marketed at one time with one of their shotguns.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    looks like Z-Corr and BlueGuard are the two names in the game that claim to be made for firearms. Both show vac seal bags with coatings to prevent damage to things. My thoughts would be this:
    A) this is not old enough to know for sure what 'long term' will do to the item
    B) the chemicals they have put into the bag for metal protection...what do they do to plastics/polymers/woods

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    very good questions. I also agree if the seal is air tight then no oil or grease might be necessary.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't see vacuum bags to be as good as an airtight storage with a desiccant. Even a painted surface can develop corrosion under it if moisture was present at application.

luger fan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2018
    Indy
    No need to get fancy. I THINK it was the 101st that found weapons cashed in Iraq that had OLD Thompson's, Grease guns, M-1's, and thousands of other weapons. They were put in cans, filled with oil, and sealed. Some were there 20-30 years.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd think that if the bag was truly airtight you wouldn't need to fool with oil or grease.

Maybe.

How humid is the ambient air at the time of sealing? How efficient is the vacuum sealer? Can it truly remove ALL the air? Or enough of the air that there's not going to be any reactions with the remaining O2, H2O, and Fe?

If it were ME, I'd likely give all the steel I could a good wiping down with an anti-corrosion product and leave the gun otherwise lubed "as normal" before sealing it. That's provided that I'd use a proper sealing bag.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Maybe.

How humid is the ambient air at the time of sealing? How efficient is the vacuum sealer? Can it truly remove ALL the air? Or enough of the air that there's not going to be any reactions with the remaining O2, H2O, and Fe?

If it were ME, I'd likely give all the steel I could a good wiping down with an anti-corrosion product and leave the gun otherwise lubed "as normal" before sealing it. That's provided that I'd use a proper sealing bag.

Throw in a desiccant and an O2 eater for good measure?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Throw in a desiccant and an O2 eater for good measure?

I don't see how it'd hurt! Don't necessarily need both. I'm not sure what the long-term stability of silica gel would be. As in - I don't know if at a certain point "something happens" to the stability of the stuff and the moisture is released. Trapping moisture inside "something" and vacuum sealing it still means that the moisture is still inside the bag. But an O2 eater would remove the method of oxidizing.

Top Bottom