Lady comes to defense of police officer shooting assailant, now getting sued.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Lady comes to defense of police officer shooting his attacker, now getting sued.

Think we should money bomb her defense.

https://www.gofundme.com/kystie039s-best-defense

It is tragic how one person’s irrational and unlawful actions can destroy the peaceful lives of others.

My name is Sergeant William Halbig with the Aurora Police Department. I am a Firearms and Physical Tactics Instructor as well as the President of Laughery Valley Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 146. I am attempting to raise money for Kystie, a young mother, who is being sued for what I would consider legal actions. The lawsuit involves both Kystie and the Officer involved. However the Officer is covered by his department as well as the FOP Legal Defense Fund. I can not release all the details of the case but as you will read you will find her actions were nothing less than heroic. Kystie is courageous and her actions saved a life and she should be commended but instead she is being sued. Here is a glimpse of what happened that day.

On February 20, 2017 a suspicious person prompted a call to 911 in Ohio County, Indiana. The suspicious person was parked in a elderly persons yard for an extended period of time, blocking her driveway, and creating a road hazard. Shortly after a Police Officer arrived in response to the call. The man began resisting and both the Officer and man went to the ground. A young woman (Kystie)standing nearby on her property ran to help the Officer. Kystie could see the Officer was losing the fight as this man reached for the Officers gun. Fortunately for the Officer, Kystie was armed and shot the man one time which ended the fight.

Indiana State Police conducted the investigation, which was reviewed by the Dearborn County, Indiana Prosecutors Office, and the findings were that Kystie’s actions were deemed justified and no criminal charges were filed.

However, On April 6, 2018, Kystie received a summons from Blake R Maislin LLC, (Thomas J Dall, Attorney at Law) regarding a wrongful death lawsuit for the assailant, J. Holland. Ohio County Superior Court Case No.:58C01-1802-CT-00001. The Officer involved was also named in the suit.

I am asking our community of citizens and law enforcement Officers to help in this legal battle. Attorney fees are an expense well beyond Kystie’s income and this will not be a quick process. The legal fees and emotional stress may drain every resource she has. I have pledged that any funds received above the cost of her legal defense, will be donated to charities; specifically, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital and the Police Benevolent Fund.
    UPDATE 4/17/2018
    I am updating everyone to inform you that the funds raised are and will be used for payment to Kystie’s attorney to fight this lawsuit and not to settle because that is what they want. This lawsuit will hopefully change the way the law is and help create a situation where people can, in good faith, help others without being sued. Kystie’s attorney is The Law Offices of Guy A. Relford
    One South Rangeline Road
    Suite 110
    Carmel, IN 46032
    (317) 844-4297 (office)

This case is about more than the right or wrong of one party suing another. Imagine not being able to come to the aid of another person for fear of being sued, possibly to the point of bankruptcy. The case is about a person having the basic God-given right and the 2nd Amendment right to defend both yourself and others and without the fear of civil retribution.

Perhaps the worst choice we make, is not to protect our family, ourselves, or others when confronted with life threatening situations when we clearly have the power to do so.

The person in harm’s way needs to have faith that someone may come to their rescue in that moment of extreme need without fear of retribution.

Generally, these civil actions are initiated by a contingency fee law firm who essentially works for a percentage of the settlement or judgement. Whether that is fair or not is certainly debatable, but the emotional and mental drain on the person being sued is quite unfathomable. More than that, the defendant is forced to pay for their own representation while there are usually no monetary consequences for those filing the suit.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Disgusting that our system can be abused so badly as to attack someone for a stepping forward in courageous life-saving act. I will discuss a donation with the better half, I would be happy to help out in this case.

I was poking around trying to find a little more information on the case. Includes a video clip of Guy Relford speaking about the case. Glad someone like Guy is on this one:
    Woman sued after shooting man in fight with Indiana officer

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Crazy. No good deed goes unpunished. Did she shoot the guy while they were fighting on the ground?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    This case should fall under Good Samaritan law and Indiana's self defense law, but I guess you still have to go to court to prove it. The laws don't keep you from being sued it keeps you from loosing the lawsuit. I'm glad they're not settling.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes. The bad guy was getting the better of the officer and going for his gun. Kystie saw that it was going down badly and intervened. Probably saved his life.

I hope she was "up close and personal" when she took that shot.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sadyl the LEO get's his defense free from the Union. Civilians don't.

I would not be opposed to an amendment to the FOP rules that when someone incurs legal expense due to assisting an officer, they have the same right to a membership vote on the union covering that expense. Two votes, one to grant an associate membership, two to cover their legal fees.

Honestly the fact that you *can* be sued for a valid claim of self-defense or defense of others is ridiculous. There's no incentive not to, though.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I would not be opposed to an amendment to the FOP rules that when someone incurs legal expense due to assisting an officer, they have the same right to a membership vote on the union covering that expense. Two votes, one to grant an associate membership, two to cover their legal fees.

Honestly the fact that you *can* be sued for a valid claim of self-defense or defense of others is ridiculous. There's no incentive not to, though.
    Fantastic idea! How hard would it be to make that happen?

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    I emailed the NRA Civil Defense Legal fund to see if they could help. Not sure if she has to be a member in order for them to step in and assist?? Also emailed Jim Tomes IN State Senator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Just received this response from Senator Tomes and thought I’d share.

Bryan,

Thank you for sharing this. I have left a message with Guy to get more details.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    From Bill Jordan: "A man who will resist an officer with weapons has no respect for the rules by which decent people are governed. He is an outlaw who has no place in world society. His removal is completely justified, and should be accomplished dispassionately and without regret".

Top Bottom