• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I purchased a 22lr Ruger handgun with an upper rail.
    I mounted a compact RED-DOT sight.
    I shot practice target with it OK. I wanted to get the feel of using it.
    This is the second time I shot IDPA with it.
    Each draw and fire.
    I have a initial problem finding the dot.
    Many times it flashes across the screen.
    When I do find it OR should I say center it.
    It is a good sight and grouping.
    Also when shooting in a darken situation.
    The red dot blocks out the target.

I have used larger RED DOTS on rifles.
    Never had a problem finding the dot.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    idpa allows .22lr with dots now?! :eek:

shooting a pistol with a dot well is harder than most realize. you have to have a rock solid index, meaning when you draw, you present the gun exactly the same every time, aligned near perfectly on target. You don't get the benefit you have with irons of being able to pick them up as you press the gun out, subconsciously aligning them. The only way to develop that index is through repetition. dryfire the hell out of your draws and reloads. do it slow, do it fast, do it from weird angles, do it with your eyes closed, then open to verify.

Get Steve Anderson's or Ben Stoeger's (or both) dryfire books. Spend 30 minutes a night on the drills emphasizing draws and reloads.

That index is much easier on a rifle, you have 4 points of contact, including one for your face to get it in alignment. you don't have that with the pistol, even w/ two hands it's really only one point of contact with the gun.

You need to dim the dot in low light.

I went through the same learning curve when I started open division in uspsa.

Index is CRITICAL.

-rvb

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    My words don't hold near as much wait as rvb's do, but everything he said is 100% accurate. I have used an RDS on a pistol for about three months, and even now finding the dot is not as easy as I had hoped. The learning curve that comes with a pistol mounted RDS is very real, and just about everyone will say that when asked. Don't let that discourage you though, just keep practicing. Once you have it down it makes it a whole lot more fun (for me at least)

One thing that seems to matter is using a bigger dot. Vortex offers 3MOA and 6MOA, and I opted for the 6MOA because I felt it would be easier to find. I believe there are some pistol optics that are 1-2MOA, and I feel like that would be a rough way to start since there is a significantly smaller margin for error. Especially if you haven't ever tried it.

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Maybe try a circle/dot RDS instead of just the standard dot? The ring makes it much easier to pick up the sights, while still giving the resolution of a small MOA center dot.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Some reddots like the Burris FF3 self adjust to light conditions and It works very well.

start with your draw practice and use something to pad the grip until when you come up the dot is in the right place, If your grip is right you should come up and the sights be centered to your eye and your pistol should be level. To get this concept do it with a shotgun. Pick and object like the top of a fence post. Close your eyes. Bring the gun up ready to shoot. Open your eyes. Adjust your stock and mount until the bead of the shotgun is on target when you open your eyes.

Same concept with a pistol. use some sports tape or something similar and pad the grip until roughly the same thing happens

and then

Practice to infinity and beyond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Well it will come down to practice, practice, practice.
    I will also pull the larger red dot off my rifle.
    I hope the mounting id the same.

Thanks for the tips!

Top Bottom