• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Other sources reported the victim was a 20-year-old dude from Indianapolis who was not a student. There were also multiple armed robberies over the weekend. Despite being barely two blocks from the police station, the suspect was able to shoot someone and escape into the ether. As a Bloomington resident I am NOT impressed with BPD on this one.

Little 5 is a convention for out-of-town drug dealers, criminals, and non-student dudes looking to prey on drunk college girls. The police, and EMS for that matter, are utterly swamped. IU's political influence ensures that nobody puts a damper on the fun, and the local justice system lets you buy your way out of jail in the exceedingly rare case you actually get caught. The whole thing is a freaking nightmare for the people who actually live here, and it seems to get worse every year.

On Saturday, drunk students living in brand new expensive luxury apartments threw glass bottles off their balcony at families and kids eating ice cream on the patio below. Police showed up, claimed they couldn't get anyone to confess, and promptly threw their hands up and left with no arrests made. Earlier this year, two drug dealers were shot dead in their apartment and the perpetrators successfully escaped long before BPD arrived. Last year, a group of out-of-town drug dealers came to rob a local dealer and gut-shot her with an AK before fleeing town. We have far too few officers for the size of the city, violence and crime is getting worse, yet we haven't had a functional city council meeting in two months because BLM protesters scream and shout until the meeting is shut down. Yet with all of the lawlessness and drinking and misbehavior, the city council would probably vote unanimously to disarm the entire city if it weren't for state preemption.

This used to be a nice place to live. With rents skyrocketing due to IU shipping in rich kids from overseas, it probably won't be my place to live much longer...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Other sources reported the victim was a 20-year-old dude from Indianapolis who was not a student. There were also multiple armed robberies over the weekend. Despite being barely two blocks from the police station, the suspect was able to shoot someone and escape into the ether. As a Bloomington resident I am NOT impressed with BPD on this one.

Little 5 is a convention for out-of-town drug dealers, criminals, and non-student dudes looking to prey on drunk college girls. The police, and EMS for that matter, are utterly swamped. IU's political influence ensures that nobody puts a damper on the fun, and the local justice system lets you buy your way out of jail in the exceedingly rare case you actually get caught. The whole thing is a freaking nightmare for the people who actually live here, and it seems to get worse every year.

On Saturday, drunk students living in brand new expensive luxury apartments threw glass bottles off their balcony at families and kids eating ice cream on the patio below. Police showed up, claimed they couldn't get anyone to confess, and promptly threw their hands up and left with no arrests made. Earlier this year, two drug dealers were shot dead in their apartment and the perpetrators successfully escaped long before BPD arrived. Last year, a group of out-of-town drug dealers came to rob a local dealer and gut-shot her with an AK before fleeing town. We have far too few officers for the size of the city, violence and crime is getting worse, yet we haven't had a functional city council meeting in two months because BLM protesters scream and shout until the meeting is shut down. Yet with all of the lawlessness and drinking and misbehavior, the city council would probably vote unanimously to disarm the entire city if it weren't for state preemption.

This used to be a nice place to live. With rents skyrocketing due to IU shipping in rich kids from overseas, it probably won't be my place to live much longer...

I hadn't heard about those other shootings.

Bloomington...a great city to be from....at least one country away from it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I hadn't heard about those other shootings.

Bloomington...a great city to be from....at least one country away from it.

I think they get downplayed a lot. IU needs Bloomington to maintain its reputation as a "safe" place to send everyone's little boys and girls.

2 shot, 1 killed in Bloomington shooting Saturday night | FOX59

This was actually late December. Word was that the guys shot were known dealers. The assailants smoked them both, may or may not have robbed them, and fled before police arrived. So far there hasn't been any follow up reporting at all. They appear to have gotten away free and clear.

https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/n...cle_c5b1330a-6de6-11e6-96cf-9f52958e439a.html

These people were caught because the victim lived long enough in the hospital with a blown out liver to identify them. It was fairly big news at the time.

Couple weeks ago, a guy on the west side shot his girlfriend on the sidewalk in front of their apartment and then planted a bullet in his head. She survived. Last week, a guy kept his girlfriend confined for three days, beat the absolute living hell out of her, stabbed her a few times, then tried to disappear. Police caught up with him and he shot himself after a short chase. The last couple of years, and this year in particular so far, have been crazy violent. For most of the decade, we were accustomed to about one murder per year. Shootings were very unusual. Not anymore...

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills

Yeah, my departure from the craziness of Bloomington to the safe and sane city of Bedford was the best move I have ever made. You could not pay me enough money to move back to Bloomington.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was there for the Arson at University Apartments for Little 5 '91. We jumped off the deck and walked all the way back to 2nd and Dunn, never been so sober so fast.

Disgusting to see such behaviour in B-ton. Very different then I was there as a kid and for undergrad.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    To borrow a phrase, "SAD!" to see Little 5 turn into a shambles. There were always drunken louts, of course, but normally the worst thing they did was throw up in public or pee in the bushes. Breaking Away was filmed during my last semester as a high school student at nearby Brown County HS, and some of my friends were extras or worked on the movie crew. Was fun to be there for the real thing when I attended IUB.

Not so much now, seems. I haven't paid attention but I'll bet the SJWs have ruined the event anyway, even without the out of town gangbangers intruding. /grumble.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

And just what would you have liked for BPD to have done?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    And just what would you have liked for BPD to have done?

Arrest the people in the apartment attached to the balcony that everyone below pointed to and said "Those people were the ones throwing bottles".

At the very least, somebody would have gotten scared in custody and rolled over. Instead, everyone walked away free and clear from assaulting children with potentially deadly thrown objects. They can really get away with saying "we didn't see nuffin", 30 seconds after bottles were thrown from their own balcony? Seriously!? "They said they didn't do it, guess we're going back to the station"?

As for the shooting, they didn't respond to a gunfire call soon enough to catch a fleeing shooter even though you could have run there from the station on foot in time to catch him, and with an entire party of witnesses somehow they haven't been able to identify a suspect. People are driving from Indy or Louisville, murdering people, and then escaping free and clear. It's not acceptable. BPD needs to do better.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    They didn't run over from the station because they weren't at the station. Little 500 is the busiest time of the year so they were all out taking runs. And if they were just sitting at the station you'd undoubtedly complain about that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Arrest the people in the apartment attached to the balcony that everyone below pointed to and said "Those people were the ones throwing bottles".

At the very least, somebody would have gotten scared in custody and rolled over. Instead, everyone walked away free and clear from assaulting children with potentially deadly thrown objects. They can really get away with saying "we didn't see nuffin", 30 seconds after bottles were thrown from their own balcony? Seriously!? "They said they didn't do it, guess we're going back to the station"?

As for the shooting, they didn't respond to a gunfire call soon enough to catch a fleeing shooter even though you could have run there from the station on foot in time to catch him, and with an entire party of witnesses somehow they haven't been able to identify a suspect. People are driving from Indy or Louisville, murdering people, and then escaping free and clear. It's not acceptable. BPD needs to do better.

Lol. You didn't go to many college parties did you? But I understand the frustration... unfortunately (or fortunately) things don't work that way. Police are still bond to observe the law. The best way that this could have been avoided, would probably be people calling in about noise complaints.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    IU brats absolutely love their coke. The number of people booked for cocaine possession and dealing is crazy.

Rich territory like that must take some mean people to control it, surprised more people aren't killed in drug disputes.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

Cops just don’t hang out at the station watching Oprah, they’re not firefighters. Also you have to have that pesky little thing called probable cause to make an arrest. Nor can you arrest for most misdemeanors not committed in your presence.

Top Bottom