Throwing away factory boxes and paperwork? Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Why do people throw away the factory boxes and paperwork? I’m not talking about guns that are imports or super old, but stuff that’s fairly recent. I keep everything that comes with the guns and like to purchase used ones that have it. Hate to see a nice used gun that I’m interested in that’s unique and there’s nothing from the factory that came with it.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Boxes take up space, and paperwork gets lost in the shuffle. You put the gun in your safe/case/whatever and now have this box you need to put somewhere. Multiply that by however many guns you have and that's a lot of 'wasted' space.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Boxes take up space, and paperwork gets lost in the shuffle. You put the gun in your safe/case/whatever and now have this box you need to put somewhere. Multiply that by however many guns you have and that's a lot of 'wasted' space.

Why not just keep gun in the box in the safe? That’s what I do. They stack up nice and neat. If it’s a carry gun then I keep the box outta the safe somewhere else. To me if I find a neat used gun that 20-50 years old in nice shape and it’s got that stuff with it, then it shows it’s been taken care of. Just my opinion.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A lot of people, "don't sell guns", so what's it matter?

Besides, I have maybe two boxes for some old guns, but the Russians tended to skimp on boxes during WWII...

And if you've seen one Ruger 10/22 box, you've seen them all.

Just my opinion.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I keep everything as well, it does help if I choose to sell a firearm.
    A lot of people just like the OP like to have the box and all the factory goodies.
    A lot of times when I see a recent manufactured gun for sale, that is the firearm only, and nothing that came with it, it runs through my mind if it is stolen.
    Just my .02 FWIW.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    My problem is that sellers tend to think those boxes are worth $50.

I don't. I make the assumption that most people like to have as much stuff as possible when buying a used gun.
    For me personally the only value is, it may help sell mine quicker, or over another firearm like mine that may not have the box, manual etc.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville

Sometimes they are. A nice used AMT Automag will bring more with the box and paperwork. Ever priced a Gen 1 Glock box if you can find one? Maybe to you there not worth the extra, which is fine. For me I’m more a collector, so I want it just like it came. When I buy a car or mower I don’t throw away the owners manual. I’m willing to pay extra for the original factory stuff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A lot of people, "don't sell guns", so what's it matter?

Besides, I have maybe two boxes for some old guns, but the Russians tended to skimp on boxes during WWII...

And if you've seen one Ruger 10/22 box, you've seen them all.

Just my opinion.

Well, if my factory checkered 10/22 sporter had the original box and paperwork I could have gotten a couple hundred more out of it LOL.
    '66-'71 and checkering was a factory option.......like 550 or so made. On some old stuff, box is $.

Have thrown away quite a few Remington boxes over the years. Non collector models, so no big deal. Not having the box didn't affect value.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well, if my factory checkered 10/22 sporter had the original box and paperwork I could have gotten a couple hundred more out of it LOL.

And Ruger collectors go NUTS for the shipping sleeves.....

3684494.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I figured my ols HS Sharpshooter box worth maybe 50 bucks...........got 140 for it.
    And it wasn't in great shape.

:)

Still sold the gun for $100 more than I had in it.
    So dang near doubled my money.

Sucks though, was a good rig............but needed something I could put an optic on.

Price of aging....

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Thats what I'm talking about right there. That Hawkeye is worth some major bling. Without the factory stuff, I'd bet it would bring 200-300 less. Put that on GunBroker and the bids would fly. And yes people do sell guns all the time. Look in the WTB/WTS section,
    GunBroker, local estates auctions, Armslist, etc....

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I live in an apartment with a wife and two kids. I'm lucky if I can find the room to store the guns and ammo. I don't have extra space for boxes, but I also don't really own any "collectable" guns either.

I do keep hard pistol cases, but toss the cardboard. I see no reason to hold on to a cardboard box from my Maverick 88, or Ruger 10/22

If I bought a Colt Python and it came with the original box and paper work then yeah, I'd keep it, but otherwise I usually toss them.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Why not just keep gun in the box in the safe? That’s what I do. They stack up nice and neat. If it’s a carry gun then I keep the box outta the safe somewhere else. To me if I find a neat used gun that 20-50 years old in nice shape and it’s got that stuff with it, then it shows it’s been taken care of. Just my opinion.

I try to keep mine but there is no way I could store everything in original boxes in the safe - it's not a walk-in. Typical pistol shelf would hold maybe three cased & boxed pistols. Same space I can get four to six. And that's with using larger soft cases with mag pouches. I have a couple 55 gallon drums stacked on their sides in the garage. They hold rifle and pistol boxes well. Oddly, I went through them a while ago and found three or four long gun boxes for guns I had sold. Not sure how I forgot those.

Will317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 18, 2016
    Beech Grove
    I always keep everything that came with the gun. Because like was mentioned before, if I do decide to sell, a LOT of people for some reason won’t buy or lowball you due to a missing piece of paper or cardboard/plastic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Bravo Sierra.

I have all the hard cases that they came in. This and the soft carry takes up enough room. The boxes.........Meh. We really do not have the space. Plus with any mods like Optics/bipods etc they will not fit anymore anyway.

Top Bottom