• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I just read on another post someone driving over an hour to a range. It's only a 10 minute drive for me. Anyone else have a long drive?

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I drive from Avon to Atterbury, that's over an hour. I would like to go to a range like Danville, but I work second shift. Most of the private ranges make you go to a meeting at night before you can join. I manage the second shift at my plant, so I can't go. I don't like driving that far, but it beats not being able to shoot on the occasional Saturday I have off.

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I go to a buds prop about 30 min away and my wifes families property which is about 45 min away. Wish I had something closer, but it's better than nothing.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I go to Sugar Ridge to shoot rifles -- it is about 50 minutes from my house.

For handguns, I can go to an indoor range that's about 15 minutes away.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I drive from Avon to Atterbury, that's over an hour. I would like to go to a range like Danville, but I work second shift. Most of the private ranges make you go to a meeting at night before you can join. I manage the second shift at my plant, so I can't go. I don't like driving that far, but it beats not being able to shoot on the occasional Saturday I have off.

Most private ranges will try to accommodate you if you can't attend their meetings. Have you tried asking if there's something else you can do to satisfy their attendance requirements? At my range, for example, attending a club-sponsored event (like a shoot or a work detail) counts as a meeting, and those are usually on a Saturday morning. A range that's unwilling to work with you is probably not a range that's worth your time anyway.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I'm a member of a club in Evansville. If I wasn't, I would have a longer drive myself to get to a public range. I also have a couple of buddies who have land in the river bottoms. Good places to shoot or hunt.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I haven't asked for a waiver of the meeting. Every time a read the rules to join, that is listed. I work about 80% of Saturdays and usually don't know if I will be off until Friday, so it makes it tough to plan anything on Saturday. I'm not complaining, in our current economic situation, having too much work to handle through the normal week, is a very good thing.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Bigum,you live on the east side? One of my best friends is good buddies with the owner of Strictly. Doesen't get me good deals on guns,though.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I just walk out my back door to the woods about 300 ft. behind my house ..smaller stuff only ..

If i am going to shoot the big stuff mosin,AR , AK ...and such i drive to henryville about 35 -40 min. away :ingo::ar15:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Bigum,you live on the east side? One of my best friends is good buddies with the owner of Strictly. Doesen't get me good deals on guns,though.

I work on the east side and have spent lots of $$$ at Strictly Shooting. It's only about a 4 minute drive from my office which is bad for impulse buying :n00b:

Any idea how to buy some land on the river bottoms? I'd love to have a place to shoot like that, but I don't know anyone with land near the river.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Bigum, best thing to do is call a realtor. There is 11 acres that i know of close to the river around the ford road area that is for sale. They are asking a high price for it but it is good hunting/shooting land. When I see the owner again I'll see if it's still for sale.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Bigum, best thing to do is call a realtor. There is 11 acres that i know of close to the river around the ford road area that is for sale. They are asking a high price for it but it is good hunting/shooting land. When I see the owner again I'll see if it's still for sale.

Any idea how much?

Also, does the owner of Strictly drive the black Avalanche? I'm not sure who the owner is.

hoosierbob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    Living here in the People's Republic of Bloomington, all the ranges are at least an hour away. Sad, but true.

It truley is sad.I was driving from Ellettsville to Linton about 55min.
    Till the clubhouse burnt in late May.
    I miss the Triple-H...........:crying:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I think around 56k. Jason is a skinny guy around 6 foot tall. He drives some really nice cars and trucks.
    If you were still interested in joining the gun club I'm in, they are having a barbecue cookoff this saturday. I'll be working in the morning. Public invited to look around and enjoy some food. Even got a coworker to enter.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I'm about 5 miles from an outdoor range (Izaak Walton) not to bad.
    For those who can just walk out the back door and have acres to shoot-
    you all suck! :D

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I have a local Isaac Walton league that is 8 min from my house. They allow handgun, rifle, and shotgun slug on the range, but it runs $75 or so for a membership per year. I was a member for a couple years but dropped out and go to a public range now that is about 30 min from my house. Range rules are about the same at each place.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    i only have 15 minutes to camp atterbury but i dont care to shoot there.i usually make the drive to crosley.i just prefer crosly over atterbury because one its free.but yes i know im also wasteing more gas to get there.plus at at crosley you dont get pesky range officers coming up and giving their 2 cents or lookin over your shoulder every couple minutes.when i go to crosley i usually take a couple rifles and shoot at some paper for a few hours.then move it up the hill with my shottys and do some skeet.makes for a great.

Top Bottom